Roon keeps reporting “alarm” that system backups fail nightly. 11/9 was last successful back-up: UPDATE!

UPDATE;

I still get the same ALERT message every morning: that “scheduled update failed.” And that alert continues to believe the last update was Nov 9.

BUT: If I go directly to “update” in “system” - I can order an update manually and it works! And afterward it tells me the last update - this morning!

So, in effect there is a miscommunication within the system. Don’t ask me where. Since the ALERT tells me one thing but the “update” part of “system” tells me the opposite.

To be honest, given my cluelessness at age 77, it would be easier for me to ignore the alerts and update manually. (The alert does always tell me the library has successfully updated - even though the update, according to it, has failed!)

I’ll see what happens when I get the new Stick that’s coming Christmas Eve.

But, as I say, I get music. The Roon works! The Qobuz works! I have no problems other than the somewhat annoying alert that seems stuck on Nov 9 as “the last successful update.”

For the record, when I do it manually, I can see it rapidly tell me the update % - and it takes only seconds.)

I use Qobuz music only. (Never bothered to store all those CD’s I still have). It’s just so much easier for me!

In old age the path of least resistance, if you can afford it, is the way to go folks.

A couple of things to check.

Is Roon idle at the time the backup is scheduled to run? I think my backup has failed previously when I left the music playing in the office over night when it was scheduled to run.

Is the scheduled backup location the same as the forced backup location?

1 Like

It is scheduled for 1 am. I’m sure something did this automatically for me. Everything is turned off then. As far as music goes. Though the wired attachment to the router is always plugged.

It appears to me that both types of backup go to the SanDisk Cruiser. But maybe the folder is different? I don’t really know.

It’s all very confusing to me. The manual/forced works. The scheduled one is probably something that was automatically chose, when I first connected to Roon. I’m guessing.

If everything is turned off, then this is almost certainly why the Backup operation fails. I think you need to adjust the timing of your scheduled Backup to a more appropriate time…

2 Likes

Three reasons for the thing to fail.

1. The target device is full.
  2. The target device has failed.
  3. The target device isn’t what the machine is expecting.

Doing an instant backup is different to doing a scheduled backup because you get to choose where you put the instant backup every time. So you do have a valid backup but not a working scheduled backup. Go through the process for setting up a scheduled backup and select the correct drive.

1 Like

Well, except one night I left the iPad connected to the internet and Roon, but the backup also failed.

Though my McIntosh does automatically shut off after half an hour if not being used. So maybe that would cause the failure.

But if that’s the problem, then why did it use to work? The last backup, according to the scheduler, was Nov 9. Not this morning! (Which the manual backup reports.)

So, at the moment, even if I change the scheduled time or frequency, what difference would that make?

I’m at a loss. Unless I just do it manually. And ignore the little red triangle with its “!”

1. The target device was replaced already yesterday.

2. I also have a different one coming. That’s a better type to use.

3. It’s hard for me to see a difference in where the backup goes. They look the same to me.

4. If doing it manually works, why worry about this? I see no other solution.

They aren’t the same. They should be identified by make and also potentially an alpha numerical string. If you change the USB device you also have to set the backup up again pointing to the new device.

1 Like

A few weeks ago my automatic backups started failing. It was right after I had added a third automatic backup routine. I backup nightly, weekly, and monthly. In looking for the cause, I found that I had messed up the path for one of the backups.

So, my solution was to start over and delete all my scheduled backup routines. I use a path such as Nucleus > Data > Storage > Roon Backups > Daily Backup, etc. When Roon does the backup, Roon created another folder so it ends up with > Daily Backup > RoonBackup >

My point is, you might want to start over with your scheduled backups. Before you start, create the folder structure that you want to use.

EDIT: All of my backups go to an attached 1 TB USB HDD. I now have 4 scheduled backup routines and have them start at 3am, 4am, 5am, and 6am. The Nucleus is on 24/7, but nothing else needs to be on.

Note: I’m not at home to see the actual paths to my backups, so I may not have shown them completely correct.

1 Like

The problem here is my age. I don’t really know what I’m doing. If I do it manually and it works, then doing anything else is beyond my understanding. I don’t understand all these paths.

I can logically follow your words. I can comprehend that I would need to write down what I should do.

I’m sure I never did set anything up to begin with. Almost 3 years ago now. Ok, we now assume the first SanDisk stick was full or failed. And I replaced it with an identical one I already had. And was able to manually back that up. And yes, it appears to be the Roon with a string of whatever that I can see there.

I hope and :pray: when the better one comes it will be recognized as such when I try manually.

But as long as I get music…. Should I really be worried about this? I don’t understand it anyway.

PS. I was going to order 1T, but was told 500KB was enough. I don’t have any stored music. I use Qobuz exclusively. Simpler than copying the CD info. And higher fidelity available!

Hey, I’m 75. Anyway, hopefully you will never need to use your backup. But, if you do, you need to be able to find it and it needs to be relatively recent. I use a Windows laptop for navigating the folders and paths, etc. Once the folders are created and in place, it’s pretty easy to use Roon - Settings - Backup to create the backup routine.

1 Like

A 500 GB drive will be plenty. Just FYI, the Roon backup does not backup music files, just the Roon database. People with their own music files need to backup them outside of Roon.

I’m controlling the whole shebang with an iPad mini. Connected to the Nucleus & internet.

I understand there need to be backups. I understand why. I live in dread of any device failing. I appreciate everyone who has helped or tried to help me. I needed a lot of handholding to get up and running. But till this glitch, things have apparently been jogging along on their own.

I got a good sleep last night. But with many strange, troubling dreams. Let’s not go there…

Sometimes I listen to a lot of music. Other times I could go weeks enjoying silence/solitude.

After the silence, Roon often wants to update (or upgrade?) itself. I always let it do it’s thing.

1 Like

Yes, the database is all That backs up. And that includes the Qobuz “library” I assume.

So, yes, I think I don’t need a whole lot of storage.

1 Like

@TheraP, you probably should check to see if your manual Backups are actually backing up and that you could find them if you had to.

From the same menu that you use to force a backup, pick ‘Clean/Restore’.

Assuming you keep multiple backups, you should get a list similar to this -

Don’t do anything with this list, just leave the screen and go back to previous screen.

2 Likes

For example, I have a Roon core on my Dell laptop I use when away from home. I only do manual backups for the Dell since it is not on 24/7. My manual backups look like the following…

I can’t find clean/restore anymore!

I fear that trying to go though and look up “backup things” that I’ve messed something up royally

Roon - Settings - Backup at the bottom. I doubt you have messed it up, but it may be hard to find your backups.

I see:

Scheduled backups
Backup now
Backup Status
Find Backups

But no clean/restore

touch View by Scheduled Backups, then the “3 dots” menu and touch the “Clean/Restore” option.