Roon keeps reporting “alarm” that system backups fail nightly. 11/9 was last successful back-up: UPDATE!

Click on Find Backups and see if you can navigate to your backups. Just look at them, don’t delete or restore. Or do what Geoff said above.

I get an error if I touch clean/restore.

It says “there was an error retrieving the backup listing (NotAvailable)”

Also “please check backup folder and try again”

In which case, it appears to be what was said earlier - the path to the Backup location that was originally set up in your Scheduled Backup is no longer valid.

1 Like

I don’t understand what I see. Or really comprehend what to do. I think I’ve messed things up trying to even look at them.

I have no idea what to do.

Music comes. But I simply can’t figure out what’s needed here.

Should I put back the former SanDisk stick and see if that makes a difference? If I can clean/restore?

I think the Roon backup is looking for your backups on your old SanDisk. I wouldn’t do anything until you receive your new 500GB drive. Then plug it in and delete your old scheduled backup routine and create a new one. You may need to format your new drive, I’m not sure.

1 Like

I’m ready to cry… I know it will do no good.

But … if this new thing needs to be formatted?

This is getting way too complicated. I just wish my husband were still alive to give me a hug.

You haven’t done anything wrong. Relax, nothing is broken. Let us know when you receive your new drive and we can figure it out. No big deal.

EDIT: I just read that most drives come already formatted.

1 Like

God bless you. :pray:

I will wait. Meanwhile I’ve got lovely Mexican Guitar Music - Volume II - playing.

Already formatted! Great!

I just need a brain-format now.

Blessings upon everyone! This community is wonderful. That brings tears too! :sob:

For the record, I still have the old SanDisc - which may be dead of course. I don’t know.

Plus: I still have an entire other music system (McIntosh with huge KEF Referrence speakers attached) with hundreds of never-organized CD’s I could play. Literally in a small retirement community apartment, 2 entire luxury music systems! I’m ashamed to admit this.

The Roon/McIntosh system has small McIntosh speakers connected.

3 Likes

The reason I asked you to check ‘Clean/Restore’ is that I didn’t think your manual Backups were working, either. That would thicken the plot.

Is the Backup location that you checked ‘Clean/Restore’ with the same location to which you are doing manual Backups?

To form is emptiness, emptiness is form:

I believe it is the same path. The manual backup worked. As it tells me the time it was backed up today.

And just now I got a message from backup manager that tells me there was a backup on the 19th and now twice today.

Maybe that’s good news!

Because now there’s a “Find Backups” when I click on backups. 3 are listed as Nucleus followed by a string and each of them is Version)production 2.0 (build 1182)

Everyone, see the above. Streaming only. Qobuz already is storing in the cloud the album information needed to recreate the Roon database should it ever be lost. Getting a tech challenged user to bend over backward trying to set up a backup regimen in this case seems excessive.

AJ

4 Likes

@WiWavelength, makes a good point that everyone has seemingly overlooked.

@TheraP, have you done any curation to your music library, like adding Tags, making playlists, etc.? Probably not.

If not, then you are GTG and shouldn’t worry about this any longer. You don’t even need to do a backup. If you lose your Roon library (dataset) it will automatically be restored from the Qobuz info. Even if you did have locally ripped CDs, Roon will reload those without any further involvement on your part, i.e. a Restore.

BTW - You can reach me by using @xxx, rather than my avatar’s motto. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This may make my day!

I do nothing special that I know of. No curation. No playlists as I always choose based on my mood at the moment. The Roon search function provides all I need as far as finding something. The library updates if I add or subtract. And I am constantly offered wonderful music to listen to.

If Qobuz is keeping track of the Roon settings that is fantastic!

I feel like you are the miracle answer to a prayer!

Jeff suggested a 500MB Samsung which is on its way - coming Saturday. Should I put that on just in case? Send it back? Stop delivery? Keep it in case?

I know it’s possible to tell Amazon to cancel that Samsung. Or send it back. Or whatever.

That’s not exactly accurate. If you lose Roon, you will still have to re-subscribe to Qobuz in Settings==>Services. If you have local files, you would need to re-point to those in Settings==>Storage. Any end point you have would need to be re-added to Settings==>Audio and Enabled. The point is you wont lose anything that isn’t recoverable.

Others will chime in (I hope), but from what I understand about your Roon, I don’t believe you need to even do Backups.

Don’t thank me. Thank @WiWavelength, otherwise we’d still be flailing around.

1 Like

I thank everybody!

I love you all! :heart: :heart: :purple_heart:

Well, since @WiWavelength highlighted the fact that you just use Qobuz with your Nucleus, then indeed I don’t think we need to obsess about how to get a Scheduled Backup working. It’s not necessary if you are just using Qobuz with Roon.

So you don’t need that Samsung SSD. Cancel it and save some cash.

1 Like

I have a lifetime Roon. So how can I lose it?

Qobuz sends me a message every year to resubscribe. Which I do.

Sorry I misspelled your name! But thank you so much!

Successfully cancelled!

So I think I should go back in and erase scheduled backups. Thus no more alerts.

I told it every 365 days. I’ll leave it there for now.

No, that isn’t what I meant.

If Roon crashes and you need to re-install, is what I meant.

All those things I listed that you would have to re-add to the various Settings sections, would be re-covered by a Restore, but you can add them manually just as well. That’s all I was saying.

Probably, you should go to the various sections I mentioned and make a note of what’s in there, in case you need to re-input them. After supper, when you’re having your customary digestif. :wink:

Merci beaucoup! To ALL!

I’ve learned a few things. Happy holidays! :heart:

1 Like