Roon loosing connection

@support My room remote is loosing connection to my core every few minutes. I run my roon core on a IMAC with 4 GHZ I7 processor 16 GB Memory running Mac IS Sierra Version 10.12.6 My entire house is set up with physical wiring for ethernet. My end points are two Bluesound Node 2 and one Bluesound Vault 1

1 Like

I have been a ROON user for going on 2 years without problems and this has also just started happening with me. Core is on MACPro, library being accessed through MAC Mini in music room and the Roon iPad app is losing connection repeatedly. The MAC Mini is not losing connection. IOS update problem???

Same problem . Roon running on a QNAP server . iPad Pro repeatedly loses connectivity necessitating Roon re-installation on the iPad . This has been happening for about a month and I’ve now re-installed Roon on the iPad at least five times . No problem with QNAP or network ( I use the same iPad to access the QNAP when I use an Aurender W20 as the renderer ).

Is there some iPad software update causing the Roon connectivity issue ?

1 Like

@Rajesh_Ramachandran / @Wayne_Carter / @john_gish — Thank you all for the feedback and sorry to hear of the troubles.

Moving forward, in order for us to try and understand why you may be running into these connectivity issues with your Roon setup, may I very kindly ask you for the following:

Data Gathering:

• If you haven’t already, please provide the make/model of the device(s) that you are currently experiencing this behavior with.

• Is the device hosting your Roon “core” running off Wifi or is it utilizing a hardwired connection?

• Please provide a description of your network configuration/topology, being sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you are currently implementing. I want to have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating and what “tools” are being utilized to make those connections possible.

• Please confirm that you are not running any antivirus applications, VPNs, proxy servers, or firewalls in your setup.

• By the “sound” of your reports, it would appear that this is a new behavior being experienced with your remote devices. Has anything changed in your setup since noticing this issue?

General Troubleshooting:

• If you haven’t already…

• Please try reloading the application on the affected device(s).

• Please try rebooting your core machine and any relevant networking hardware (i.e router etc).

• Please try manually entering the IP address of your Roon core on the struggling remote device(s).

• Please verify if one (or both) of the following allows the remote to find the core and stay connected:

TEST #1:

1. Shut down your Core
  2. Open Roon on your Remote
    (Tip: If you are using a phone, make sure you keep it awake)
  3. Roon should be on the “Searching For Core” screen
  4. Start up the Core

TEST #2:

1. Start up your Core
  2. Open Roon on your Remote
  3. Kill the Roon app
    (Tip: If you are using Android please go to Settings > Apps > Roon > Force Stop)
  4. Restart Roon on on your Remote

-Eric

Data Gathering:

If you haven’t already, please provide the make/model of the device(s) that you are currently experiencing this behavior with.

Roon running on QNAP TVS 871T ( 8 1Tb SSD drives ) controlled (sometimes ) with an iPad Pro , model ML3Q2LL/A running 11.0.3 . QNAP hardwired to Luxul AGS 1024 ethernet switch which is in turn hardwired to a 24 port Araknis 210 Websmart network switch in my audio room .

FYI , the iPad works fine controlling the QNAP when I use my Aurender W20 and its Conductor software . The repeated loss of iPad connectivity to the QNAP only occurs with the Roon app .

Is the device hosting your Roon “core” running off Wifi or is it utilizing a hardwired connection?

All ethernet .

Please provide a description of your network configuration/topology, being sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you are currently implementing. I want to have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating and what “tools” are being utilized to make those connections possible.

Not sure what more I can add . I have the full dCS Vivaldi system and playback is through the Upconverters’ Network option connected to the Araknis switch .

Please confirm that you are not running any antivirus applications, VPNs, proxy servers, or firewalls in your setup.

I am not .

By the “sound” of your reports, it would appear that this is a new behavior being experienced with your remote devices. Has anything changed in your setup since noticing this issue?

The only change has been IOS updates to the iPad . If I had to guess , and my level of understanding is minimal , I’d suspect some software incompatibility has compromised stability . My system , as configured has worked flawlessly for quite some time and this problem has developed in , roughly , the last month or two . Hard to pin down exactly because it doesn’t happen every time I try to establish a connection and the first few times I just re-installed Roon on the iPad and the connection was immediately re-established .

General Troubleshooting:

If you haven’t already…

Please try reloading the application on the affected device(s).

Reloaded on to the iPad a half dozen or more times .

Please try rebooting your core machine and any relevant networking hardware (i.e router etc).

Also done repeatedly .

Please try manually entering the IP address of your Roon core on the struggling remote device(s).

Done this but , so far , only re-installing Roon re-establishes the connection once it is lost . I want to reiterate ( and I realize this makes diagnosis much more difficult ) this does not happen every time . For example , yesterday connectivity was lost . I once again re-installed Roon . As of this morning , the connection was still operating . One other thing , whether connectivity is lost or maintained is unrelated to switching between iPad apps ,i.e. , I can move from Roon to another app and connectivity is maintained . If connectivity is lost , moving from Roon to another app and back again does nothing .

Please verify if one (or both) of the following allows the remote to find the core and stay connected:

TEST #1:

Shut down your Core
Open Roon on your Remote
Roon should be on the “Searching For Core” screen
Start up the Core

As below , once connectivity to the iPad is lost , the only way to re-establish the connection is to delete/re-install Roon on the iPad .

TEST #2:

Start up your Core
Open Roon on your Remote
Kill the Roon app
(Tip: If you are using Android please go to Settings > Apps > Roon > Force Stop)
Restart Roon on on your Remote

If connectivity is lost , this never works . The only way to re-establish the connection is with the re-installation of Roon .

-Eric

Thanks Eric , hope this helps in resolution and any other questions/tests just ask .

Data Gathering:

If you haven’t already, please provide the make/model of the device(s) that you are currently experiencing this behavior with.

Core - Mac Pro (Late 2013) - Processor 3.5GHz-6 Core Intel Xeon E5 - MacOS 10.13.1

Mac Mini (mid 2011) - Processor 2.5 GHz Intel i5 - MacOS 10.13.1
iPad Air - IOS 11.1.1
Is the device hosting your Roon “core” running off Wifi or is it utilizing a hardwired connection?

Core is hardwired
Please provide a description of your network configuration/topology, being sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you are currently implementing. I want to have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating and what “tools” are being utilized to make those connections possible.

Mac Mini and iPad are on network provided through MacPro/Airport Time Capsule VS 7.7.8 - FibreOp Gigabit Service
Please confirm that you are not running any antivirus applications, VPNs, proxy servers, or firewalls in your setup.

Nothing applicable
By the “sound” of your reports, it would appear that this is a new behavior being experienced with your remote devices. Has anything changed in your setup since noticing this issue?

This began from what I can tell around the time macOS High Sierra rolled out. Nothing in my set up has changed in quite some time and I have never had this issue previous. Last night the Roon app was working fine for about 2 hours and then began again dropping connection. It looks to reconnect and does but then loses connection again within 2 minutes. This cycle continued.
General Troubleshooting:

If you haven’t already…

Please try reloading the application on the affected device(s).

Have done this
Please try rebooting your core machine and any relevant networking hardware (i.e router etc).

Have done this
Please try manually entering the IP address of your Roon core on the struggling remote device(s).

Please verify if one (or both) of the following allows the remote to find the core and stay connected:

TEST #1:

Shut down your Core
Open Roon on your Remote
Roon should be on the “Searching For Core” screen
Start up the Core
Test was successful - stayed connected
TEST #2:

Start up your Core
Open Roon on your Remote
Kill the Roon app
Restart Roon on on your Remote
Test was successful - stayed connected
-Eric

Hi @john_gish ---- Thank you for touching base and taking the time to provide the requested feedback!

Moving forward, based on the provided information above, I would recommend the following:

• Make sure you do not have JUMBO frames enabled on any of the mentioned networking devices and NAS.

• In regard to the mentioned switches. If I am not mistaken these are both managed, correct? I would try testing with IGMP snooping disengaged and flow control enabled. Furthermore, is the firmware on the Araknis switch up to date (v.1.0.02)?

While I understand that other software may not be experiencing the same problem, our product is going to rely heavily on the internal traffic of your network and if something is potentially interfering with the transfer of information between your Core/remote, you will certainly be feeling those affects (i.e remote connectivity issues). In my personal experience I have always found that the process of elimination is best approach for identifying what variable (or variables) could be having a potential influence on the issue being experienced. This often involves shortening the chain of communication down to the bare minimum (all things considered of course) and then expanding back out to see where things “work”, and where they “fail”.

If I were addressing this behavior in my own home, I would get the QNAP (TVS 871T) mounted directly to my router (BTW please verify the make/model of router you are using) and then I would temporarily disable all the other elements of my setup (endpoints, switches, other active applications, etc). With everything stripped down I would try to connect to the core and verify if things are stable.

-Eric

Hi @Wayne_Carter ---- Thank you for the follow up! Very appreciated!

After performing the mentioned tests above, how has the remote been behaving? I want to have an idea as to how long the iPad is remaining in stable contact with your MacPro core. Furthermore, you mentioned the following in your reply:

During this period of time were there any other applications running or other process taking place that could have had influence on the connection strength between your remote and core? My assumption is that you were playing music at the time, do you by chance remember what type of content you were streaming and what the endpoint was?

As mentioned in my previous to John, the strength of the internal traffic on your network is going to be a key factor here. I must point out that we have see some issues crop up in the past with Apple based networking devices as mentioned here by our CTO Brian. Not saying that the Airport is the “culprit” here by any means, but would be curious how things respond with good AC router.

-Eric

Hi Eric,
Absolutely nothing changed over the course of the time I was using. I live alone and never moved from the chair.
I really think this has something to do with Apple and their recent OS and IOS updates as I have never experienced this problem in the past and the timing seems more than coincidental.

Thanks for the follow up!
W

A post was split to a new topic: Losing Connection to Antipodes Server

Hi @Wayne_Carter ---- Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and touching base with me. Apologies for the slow response on my end.

I wanted to follow up with you and see how things are going. Are your remote still exhibiting the same behavior(s)? Let me know and we can continue form there.

-Eric