Roon + macOS 11 Big Sur

I’ve had no issues with Big Sur (beta’s) at all (iMac)…

can you check if your bridge is listed as not responding?

what about the new, NON-intel Macs. Will they be able to run Roon?

Should be able to. Rosetta 2 handles support for x86 binaries.

1 Like

Big Sur installed last night and… everything’s fine here with Roon (control. Core on a NUC) :slight_smile:

No problems here…

1 Like

Mine is working fine as control to Linux NUC.

I have Roon core running on 10.13 on 2011 Mac Mini. I’m testing Big Sur on a virtual machine on my Catalina host system w/ Fusion 12. I’m presented with this error message when I try to bring up Roon in my virtual environment. I believe this to be a Fusion issue re: OpenGL 3 support but wanted to check here to see if anyone else has seen this.

1 Like

I am running Roon on Big Sur without problems. Not as a virtual machine though.

Hello @purehifi192,

macOS running in a VM does not support hardware acceleration or OpenGL. The Roon UI will not run on a virtualized macOS instance.

-John

Thanks for confirming John. As I suspected.

So far, no issues running Roon (just as a remote) on a new MacBook Air (M1) with Big Sur. In fact, even with the non-native app and Rosetta translation, it’s a bit zippier than the 6-month-old Intel-based Air that it replaced.

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Fatal Error on Big Sur

No problems here with a new Mac Book Pro with Big Sur.

A post was split to a new topic: Playback trouble after Big Sur update

I am having no issues with Big Sur but then I am only using my MacBook Pro for control and not as a core.

A post was split to a new topic: Can’t download Roon on Mac

A post was split to a new topic: Roon + Big Sur + HQPlayer 4.8.0 + Sonore Ultrarendu

I’m having FATAL Error messages at Roon start up since upgrading to BigSur. I have raised a support ticket, and see that others are having the same issue.
Yesterday my Dragonfly RED kept disappearing as an end point (direct USB connection to iMac), another BigSur problem perhaps, never happened before.

Just bought a new IMAC and loaded on Big Sur and migrated ROON over from my old IMAC.

Roon connected perfectly and saw my back up instantly from my usb hard drive.

So very happy to say no problems with Big Sur and ROON core migration.

Gareth

Again the difference might be that I am only using my MacBook Pro for control and not as core for Roon. I hope you get assistance soon.