Operating System: macOS Monterey Version 12.1
CPU: 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
RAM: 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router: Fios Quantum Gateway
Model: Fios-G1100
Make: VZPD
Ethernet connection with Fios Gigabit Connection Package
Network Switch: English Electric 8Switch (removed after experiencing music drop outs)
Network Switch: NetGear 5-Port 10/100/1000 Mbps GB Unmanaged Switch (currently in use)

Connected Audio Devices

Mac mini music server with external Samsung T5 SSD for music storage, Fiber Media Convertor > Systemoptique Certified Fiber Optic Cable > Sonore OpticalRendu music streamer > Intona Reference USB cable > Holo Audio Spring 3 DAC KTE

Number of Tracks in Library

Number of tracks on local SSD: 14,545

Description of Issue

I purchased a Sonore ultraRendu a couple of weeks ago and I don’t recall any music dropouts/playback stops after streaming music, via ROON. However, I immediately returned the ultraRendu for an upgrade to the OpticalRendu and that’s when I started to experience random music playback stops while playing music, via ROON. I disconnected the OpticalRendu from the English Electric 8Switch and went straight from the router to the OpticalRendu in hopes that the random stops would cease. I had one random playback pause and restart after removing the aforementioned network switch from the OpticalRendu, so I wasn’t sure if the network switch was the problem, but it remained disconnected from the OpticalRendu to began my process of elimination. Well, the random playback stops started again and I had to click play for the music to resume as I had to do when the issue first started.

Then, I decided to replace the English Electric 8Switch with my NetGear switch and the random playback stops continued, specifically, on 12/23/2021. Finally, I decided to remove the OpticalRendu from the chain and return to my original setup; Mac mini usb output directly into my Holo Audio DAC. I’ve been playing music with this setup for probably over an hour or so and I haven’t had a single music dropout yet.

The OpticalRendu’s software is up to date and I’m at my wits end at this point?

I respectfully request for ROON to run a diagnostic report for me.

Let me know if you need any additional information from me.

Thanks in advance!

Sean M.

Sounds more like you’ve got a faulty optical rendu. I’d contact them first.

Actually, I did contact Small Green Computer, which is whom I bought it from. They advised me to purchase a TrendNet network switch as we thought the culprit might be the English Electric 8Switch. It’s not the culprit because I removed it from the chain. My brother just purchased the OpticalRendu as well and he’s experiencing the same dropouts, so it’s kinda hard to believe we would both have faulty units? I’ll standby for ROON support and communicate with Small Green Computer as well.

Thanks

There are others on here with that model, haven’t seen any generic issues. Good luck.

That’s good to know. Hopefully I can get this resolved soon.

Thanks

Could it be the fibre media converter that’s at fault rather than the OpticalRendu?

I removed the FMC and replaced it with the new TrendNet switch that has a built in FMC port and I still had dropouts several times last night.

In that case, it sounds like the issue lies with the OpticalRendu.

Do you feel there’s a definite sonic improvement with the OpticalRendu over the ultraRendu? Copper ethernet is galvanically isolated by design. Optical connection of itself shouldn’t offer any sonic improvement, despite what the marketing speak may say.

BTW, I’m familiar with both copper and fibre, though I use fibre for its intended design use, which is high bandwidth over distance. My Roon Core runs on a NAS with a 20Gbit fibre connection to the network.

The opticalRendu may be the culprit?

Concerning the difference in sonics with the UltraRendu vs. opticalRendu? I definitely had an increase in sonics going from my Mac mini > DAC to the UltraRendu. However, I didn’t listen to the UltraRendu long enough to establish a baseline of sonics to compare to the opticalRendu. Once I heard the UltraRendu, I figured it was best to move up to the opticalRendu due to its ability to eliminate EMI. I can’t say I heard a difference unfortunately.

You seem to have eliminated all of the other possibilities.

The fibre optic cable being at fault would seem very unlikely indeed. Despite my cynicism of “Systemoptique” (It’s Sonore’s in-house certification scheme, and is to all intents and purposes, completely meaningless. The fibre patch lead is basically a (now largely obsolete) generic 62.5/125 um OM1 LC-LC patch cord (about £3 to buy in the UK) with a Sonore branded heatshrink on it), fibre optic patch leads either meet specification and work, or they don’t - there’s no middle ground. If the fibre was at fault, you’d have no audio, period. The only real area where incompatibilities exist with regards to fibre optic is with SFP/SFP+ modules and the equipment they plug into…

To give some context, the 40 metre 50/125 um OM3, 8 core (4 pair), steel wire armoured and pre-terminated LC-LC fibre cable which runs between the house and my office in the garden cost a little over ÂŁ300. The supplier I bought it from has a 25+ year pedigree supplying military & defence, data centres, the oil and gas industry and the movie, television and music industries.

I’m not sure what the problem is, but I know I didn’t have the dropouts prior to adding the opticalRendu to the chain. It may be a Roon issue and hopefully I will get some support soon.

I think you’ve answered your own question there. You say your brother, who also purchased the OpticalRendu, is having the same issue. That’s hardly a coincidence.

So logical progression…
Do you have another streamer to use to see if it is indeed the oR?

I concur….

Maybe talk to SGC about it, get there take.

I don’t have another streamer to test. I already spoke to SGC. Standing for Roon support.

And that’s where I get confused…
If we have already made a general consensus conclusion that the oR is likely the issue…

it does sound like a faulty piece of equipment.

What did SGC say?

SGC recommended I swap out the English Electric 8Switch I had for the TrendNet switch. Done, and still had a few dropouts. I haven’t played the system for about 24 hours, so I just fired it up and waiting to see if I get more dropouts. I haven’t tried to contact SGC again at this point. I want Roon to place my account on diagnostic mode and review my logs. I have 30 days to return the opticalRendu, so no worries at the moment.

1 Like

Ok, that now makes sense.
Hopefully Roon can enact that for you fairly quickly!
Good luck.

I still haven’t gotten a response from Roon support regarding the music dropouts I’ve been experiencing using my Sonore opticalRendu. I don’t understand the support process? Is there a way to generate a support ticket directly to the Roon support team or is the community forum the only means of requesting Roon support? I may have overlooked any other support options in the Roon help section? I debated about becoming a lifetime Roon subscriber, but the support process has not served me well thus far.