Roon no longer recognizes Directstream DAC as audio zone

@support

Roon is not recognizing my PS Audio Directstream Junior on my network as an audio zone. This happens frequently and I have to restart the DSJ. Now it has been days and I have no access to the DAC. I know that the DAC is viewable on the network - it is working fine with the MConnect app. Please respond because with the amount of glitches and bugs I have experienced with Roon I am ready to find another solution and request my money back. Between not recognizing my DAC and suddenly losing Tidal connectivity this program is so unreliable that I almost assume it won’t work at this point.

Hello @David_Larzelere — I apologize about the frustration you’ve experienced here. I know these types of difficulties can definitely be frustrating, but I want to help you get up and running here so you can have a more pleasant experience moving forward.

To start, may I kindly ask that you please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide. Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

May I also ask that you please verify the following for me:

• Is this behavior something you experience with other audio zones or just the PS Audio device?
  • Is the firmware on your PS Audio device all up to date?

Thank you,
Dylan

Dylan - I’m running Roon 1.5

My OS is High Sierra on a late 2012 Mac Mini with 8gb RAM

Local music is stored on a USB drive attached to Mac Mini - it’s a 4tb My Book. Collection size is roughly 1TB.

I do not experience the problem with other audio zones - my only other zone is a USB direct connection from the Mac Mini to a Peachtree Decco.

Firmware on Direcstream Junior is current. As I said, DSJ works fine with MControl app.

This is a problem I have experienced many times, though this is the longest it’s lasted. I have also experienced a lot of Tidal lags and often a failure to login to Tidal altogether.

Thanks for the additional details, @David_Larzelere!

Can you please expand on your networking setup, including any networking hardware being used? What kind of router are you using? Any switches? How are you Core and endpoints connected?

May I also ask that you please share a full screenshot of the settings being used with this device by going to Settings > Audio > Device Setup for the DSJ device?

Regards,
Dylan

Dylan - Last night to respond to your email I booted up Roon and went to the Device Setup page and my DSJ was discoverable there - it hadn’t been in the past. I was able to pair with it and it’s now working. I’d still like to get your input on what’s happening because this is a recurring problem for me so here’s my info:

I have a Verizon Fios router. My Directstream Junior is connected via ethernet to a TP-link wifi extender (RE450). I go ethernet out of the wifi-extender into a TP-link media converter, then a fiber patch cable to another TP-link media converter, and ethernet out into the DSJ, a noise isolation strategy described here - https://www.audiostream.com/content/electrically-isolate-your-networked-audio - whenever this problem with Roon not recognizing the DSJ is happening I have verified that the DSJ has connectivity with the network by using it with the MControl app and with Audirvana.

I’ve attached a screenshot of my Roon device setup page.

Hi @David_Larzelere — Glad to hear it’s working for you now!

In the event this does happen in the future, my recommendation would be to connect your DSJ directly to the router and see if you experience the same behavior. If not, you can start adding back more pieces of the puzzle (Router > WiFi extender, and so on). Knowing whether or not this behavior is occurring when directly connected to the router will definitely help narrow down the possible root cause here.

Thank you,
Dylan