Roon not compatible with this Android device

Android 8.01 6gb RAM 2560 x 1600 IPS screen 2ghz 10 core CPU Tablet - Google Play store says Roon Remote not compatible with my device - surely this meets min specs ?

Oh and is 64 bit Open GL…

Side load ?

What is the make and model of the tablet?

Generic no name. Yep I know but I only intended to use it for Roon remote

Tagging @support

That is a strange one. I’d attempt to side load it and see what happens.
I think we will be seeing more of this as trade sanctions between the US and China begin to bite. Best to try and get around the marketplace (Play Store) limitations.

Thanks guys - sideload fail. Couldn’t parse the package. Suspect my generic tablet isn’t quite what it says it is. Ah well

Sadly that is the risk you take. :frowning:
I went used, but since then Roon came up with revisions that gave my old 7.5 inch Android tablet landscape view and full Roon functionality. I don’t mind too much because I have plenty of uses for the second hand iPad otherwise.

Hi @Paul_Butler,

For Roon to be compatible with your Android device it needs to be ARM or x86 based as per our Android Requirements, I suspect the generic device you have is not.

if you are looking for an affordable Roon Android remote, I have seen reports of other customers electing to use an Amazon Fire tablet (sideloaded) with Roon: Amazon Fire HD 8" As Remote

Thanks Noris - the CPU spec is this which sort of implies it is ARM based…?

Mediatek Helio X20 MT6797

The Mediatek Helio X20 MT6797 is an upper mainstream ARM SoC for smartphones (mainly Android based) that was introduced in 2016. It is manufactured in a 20 nm process and is equipped with 10 CPU cores. Two fast Cortex-A72 cores are running at up to 2.3 GHz, four Cortex-A53 cores at up to 1.83 GHz and four Cortex-A53 cores at up to 1.4 GHz. All cores support 64-bit and the utilization of three clusters is supposed to improve efficiency according to Mediatek. The two A72 cores are only designed for short “Burst-Performance scenarios” according to Mediatek and are probably not used for sustained workloads.

The integrated [ARM Mali T880 MP4] GPU is clocked at up to 780 MHz and has four cluster (from 16) from the Midgard (4th Gen) architecture.

Interestingly i CAN install the Roon Essentials app without issue, although of course that wont work with a standard core

Hi @Paul_Butler,

Thanks for confirming the CPU information. I have created a ticket for you and requested some feedback from the technical team regarding this device and it’s compatibility with Roon, I’ll be sure to let you know once I hear back, thanks!

Hi @Paul_Butler,

I spoke to the dev team regarding this issue and there are a few questions which may help clarify some aspects, can you please let me know:

1. Where did you purchase this tablet from?

2. Did it come stock installed with Android 8.0.1 on it or is this an OS that you installed yourself?

3. Was the Google Play store installed when you purchased the tablet or did you side-load the Play Store?

4. Are you familiar with ADB logging? If you are, can you please provide the log output when you try to side-load the Roon app?

Thanks Noris

1. Chinese ebay knock off…
  2. Installed with Android 8.0.1
  3. Google Play was installed
  4. No idea on ADB Logging sorry - tablet says “cannot parse package”

Its very odd - it will load many apps without issue, but some it won’t. Netflix being another example. Loads RoonEssentials…

Hi @Paul_Butler,

Thanks for the additional info.

Since Netflix is having issues installing as well, this sounds like a configuration issue with the tablet itself.

We have been able to successfully side-load Roon on multiple types of Android devices, so we can’t say exactly it’s failing to install on yours.

I would take a look to ensure your Android tablet is configured properly or try installing Roon on another “branded” Android device.

Thanks Noris - fair enough - it was worth a go. Can use the tablet for other duties anyway, so not a total loss…

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.