Roon not importing all playlists

Hello together, I just observed that Roon is not importing all my playlists from iTunes. I went through all the FAQ regarding this topic in this forum but it didn’t help. Switched on/off under storage edit but no change. Any ideas how to fix this?

See screenshots attached showing iTunes and Roon.

@support

Hi @Jan_Reinmueller,

It looks like the 14-16 seasons are missing from your screenshot here. Where is the file path for these tracks, are they located on the same QNAP -> Multimedia -> Music -> iTunes Media folder?

– Noris

Season 3 and 18 as well. In fact that is just an example other playlists are missing as well. All of them are located on the same QNAP and file path.

Hi @Jan_Reinmueller,

Have you tried rebooting your Roon Core + QNAP yet? I would give this a try to see if that changes anything. If rebooting does not help, can you send me the .XML file as a shared Google Drive/Dropbox link?

– Noris

@Noris what XML link? Where do I find this?

Hi @Jan_Reinmueller,

I am referring to the XML file where the playlists are stored. This can be found in /Music/iTunes/ or /Music/iTunes/iTunes/ on Mac or in Windows on C:\Users<User>\Music\iTunes where <User> is your Windows user name. Please let me know if you are able to locate this file and send it as a shared dropbox/google drive or send.firefox.com link.

– Noris

Here you go @noris :

Hi @Jan_Reinmueller,

Thanks for sending that XML file over, I do indeed notice that the path for the missing playlists are also located on the same share/location. This case might end up going to QA for review but before we do that let’s take a look at a few other aspects:

1. Can you please check Skipped Files Guide (<-clickable link) to see if there are any files there which Roon was not able to import? This can be done by going to Roon Settings -> Library -> Skipped Files -> View.

2. Let’s make sure that a few of these tracks from the playlist are still present on that share. Can you take a look and let me know if the following tracks still exist on the QNAP Share by using the application you use to typically access this share:

file:///Volumes/Multimedia/Music/ITunes Media/Sven Va%CC%88th/Sven Va%CC%88th In The Mix_ The Sound Of The 14th Season/01 14th Season - Disc One.mp3
file:///Volumes/Multimedia/Music/ITunes Media/Compilations/Sven Va%CC%88th in the Mix - The Sound of the 15th Season/1-01 The Sound Of The 15th Season Part 1 (Continuous DJ Mix ).mp3
file:///Volumes/Multimedia/Music/ITunes Media/Sven Va%CC%88th/In the Mix_ The Sound of the Sixteenth Season (Bonus Track Version)/29 In the Mix_ The Sound of the Sixteenth Season (Continuous DJ Mix 1).mp3

– Noris

Hello @noris, I can confirm:

1. In the skipped files guide the missing files are not in
  2. I found 14th and 18th Season and both are on the QNAP share

Hi @Jan_Reinmueller,

Thank you for confirming that for me. I would like to ask QA to review this case but to make sure that we have all the necessary info here can you please let me know:

• What is your Core machine running Roon? Is it the QNAP itself or are you only using the QNAP as a storage device?

• What is your network setup like, can you let me know the model/manufacturer of your networking gear?

• How large is your library size (number of albums/tracks)?

I have also gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. Please let me know the above information when you have a chance.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @noris

1. QNAP itself
  2. Asus Rog Rapture AX11000 Tri-band Wi-Fi 6 Router GT-AX11000
  3. 7004 songs and 2390 albums in iTunes which doesn’t match the Roon count of 7279 tracks and 2542 albums - might be the case that there are some old albums/tracks in the folder on QNAP which are not imported but this sounds strange actually.

Just powered on the core, so the logs should be captured.

Thanks

Hi @Jan_Reinmueller,

Thank you for sending that information over! I can also confirm that the diagnostics from your Core has reached our servers and I have submitted your case for review with our QA team. As soon as I hear back I will be sure to let you know. Thanks in advance for your patience here!

– Noris

Hi @Jan_Reinmueller,

I just heard back from the QA team. It appears that part of this issue is due to the folder location containing a special character in the name, specifically the ä letter and special characters may sometimes cause issues with imports (as mentioned in our Skipped Files Guide). The tracks which do show up in Roon do not contain this special character.

The follow-up suggestion from QA here would be to rename these folders so that they do not contain the special characters and try importing them again. Can you give that a try and let me know how it goes?

Also, how have you transferred the XML file over to the QNAP? Have you created the playlist using MacOS or Windows? Which Operating System did you use to transfer the XML playlist over to the QNAP?

– Noris

Hey @noris, thanks for the reply.

I changed the folder name as suggested but no change unfortunately. In fact, I made “season 14” look like a playlist which is successfully seen by Roon but no change. I created the playlist using MacOS and just copied it over to the QNAP. It seems all fine in my iTunes on MAC accessing the files on the QNAP.

Just to add I do have artists in Roon containing special characters which do sit in non special character folders.

Hope we can find the problem

Hi @Jan_Reinmueller,

Sorry to hear that it hasn’t helped. I can confirm a new set of logs have reached us and I have sent it over to QA again but for the sake of completeness, would you be able to possibly rename any folders or artists subfolders/track names containing special characters to regular characters and see if this helps?

Thanks,
Noris

Hey @noris I did with one folder but no change. You mean for all folders? Do you really think that will impact the outcome? Lots of work on my side :slight_smile:

Hi @Jan_Reinmueller,

Thanks for confirming that changing the sub-folder names hasn’t helped. I think it’s best to receive the analysis back from QA and see what the new logs indicate, and as soon as I hear back I will be sure to let you know. Thanks in advance for your patience here!

– Noris

Hi @Jan_Reinmueller,

I appreciate your patience here while I had a chance to discuss your case further with QA. They have noted further that they believe this issue is due to the special characters contained in the .XML and this is the reason why it is not being able to be properly read. There are a few ways to proceed here but first I want to confirm a few basic things:

1. Are the tracks contained in the playlists that don’t show up already part of your Roon library and do they show up as expected if you search for just the track? For example, if you search for “The Sound Of The 15th Season Part 1 (Continuous DJ Mix )” or “In the Mix The Sound of the Sixteenth Season (Continuous DJ Mix 1)” are there any results for these searches?

2. If these tracks do show up in Roon, can you please send a screenshot of the File Path info for the track? You can access file path info by right-clicking the track -> pressing the 3-dot dropdown ad the top of Roon -> “View File Info…”. The screenshot should look something like this:

3. Are these files properly showing up and playing in iTunes on your OSX machine?

Thanks,
Noris

Hey @noris , below my answers:

1. They don’t show up at all.
  2. Not applicable
  3. Yes, they do show up in iTunes. Do note that the iTunes library is pointing to the QNAP as well. The files are not stored on the local OSX machine. Everything works as expected in iTunes including special characters

Hello @Jan_Reinmueller,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here and thank you for letting me know the previous info.

The problem here is with the XML file itself, in that it contains the special characters and this causes a issue when Roon reads this XML file. While there is a solution, do note that it is a bit tricky.

Here is an overview of what I suggest needs to be done to import these playlists into Roon:

• From the OSX machine, please change the folder paths and the track names for both the local library and the QNAP share to not contain these special characters (ä being one of them)

• Using iTunes on the OSX machine, you will then need to point iTunes to the new file locations (after the folder/file name change they will show up as missing in iTunes and need the proper path once more)

• After the file path has been updated to reflect the new location of the files, please ensure that the playlists show up as expected and are playable in iTunes

• Then, we need to copy this modified XML file over to the QNAP so that Roon can access the modified XML and locate these files in the modified folders

• These changes are suggested to be made on both the OSX and the QNAP, so that the library will still remain in sync in case additional files are added in the future

I hope that these steps are clear enough but if they are not, do let me know and I can expand further and our apologies for the trouble here.

Thanks,
Noris