Roon not playing hi-res Qobuz, while tidal and local files work well

Hi there, finally Qobuz became available in Canada so I happily added it to my Roon. Having difficulties playing hi-res though. Flacs 24/192 start normally, than after 10-15 seconds I get a message “network speed is too slow, Qobuz can’t run….” and skipping to next track in album. Roon core is on my PC being there for year with local files and Tidal playing everyday just fine. Have two dacs one is mqa connected directly to PC using with headphones, the other one rpi4 with hifiberry digi2 HAT running roopieeXL also for about a year. All hard wired, speed 1G. As I mentioned local files 24/192 and Tidal work perfectly fine, only issues with hi-res Qobuz, cd quality runs fine. Both DACs cutting if playing via Roon. PC with Roon core on Win11, 32GB ram ssd nvme, intel 11 gen. Native Qobuz app on PC runs fine. Other streamer (Wiim mini) runs fine, issue only via Roon Qobuz playback.

Not sure where to dig. Please advise. Roon bought lifetime.

1 Like

Moved to support area.

I have a related problem in that I cannot see any Hi-res files in Qobuz from within Roon yet I can see Hi-res files from within the Qobuz app. So, I know that they are there. I’ve explored all of the settings from within Roon and Qobuz to ensure that they are set to the highest resolution, restarted Roon, etc. But, to no avail. Any suggestions?

There is currently an issue affecting Canadian customers.

3 Likes

I see hi-res, but ecery track skipping after 13-15 sec to next one in the album.

On main Qobuz page in Roon try going to “new releases”, then select Genre. Let’s say it’s jazz, then Qobuz will show you in the third row like most popular albums. Try for example Oscan Peterson we get requests, it’s in 24/96 skipping as well.

Tracks skipping may indicate a network issue. Therefore, please complete the support template below.

Please be sure to include details of your core, network, storage location of your media files, and any messages displayed by Roon. Thank you.

Roon Core Machine

<!‐-Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)-‐>
<!‐-Write below this line-‐>

Networking Gear & Setup Details

<!‐-Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on Wi-Fi/Ethernet, are you using VPN-‐>

Connected Audio Devices

<!‐-Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)-‐>

Number of Tracks in Library

<!‐-Tell us how large your music library is, e.g. “30,000 tracks”-‐>

Description of Issue

<!-‐Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!-‐>

Including these details in your first post helps resolve your issues faster.

All of the details were already provided in my initial post, even though not in the posted format.

My network doesn’t have any issues and play all possible streaming services as well as local files nicely.

It’s Roon what causing issues specifically with Qobuz and specifically with all files higher than 24/96khz bitrate.

2 Likes

This is evidently not the situation. Moreover, Roon server receives the stream and then forwards this to the endpoint. Consequently, there is twice the network traffic when compared to streaming with the native app.

As I’ve mentioned previously all my devices are hard wired with 1G connection inside the house and 1G connection from ISP. I do not have any issues with my local files played with Roon and or any variations of Tidal mqa and non-mqa playback

My iFi DAC connected directly to USB post of PC with Roon core. My second streamer based on Raspberry Pi4 also hard wired to Asus routers and plays Tidal as well as flacs via UPNP/DLNA without any issues.

I tried my another amp upstairs streaming Qobuz via Airplay to Yamaha WXA50 same issue, after 10-15 seconds it jumps to next song after few second delay. Again no issues with any other services or network playback.

After message in Roon below, next song starts and again 10-15 seconds of normal playback. Same albums Tidal plays ok. I rebooted routers, PC, Streamers multiple times.

Broadband speed is not in question here; it is your local network. Consequently, understanding your network topology, including how devices are connected, helps diagnosis.

Incidently, kindly note that I am a community member and moderator, not a Roon employee.

Thank you Martin, I understand. It’s just been a bit frustrating and unexpected behaviour.

My home network consists of 4 Asus XT8 modules like those ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8)|Whole Home Mesh WiFi System|ASUS Canada

It’s a wifi mesh system, however, all 4 nodes connected by network cable. My Roon core as well as streamers hard-wired to one of the XT8 nodes, to the same one. So they can talk to each other flawlessly. My mesh nodes are always updated to the last version of firmware, and I rebooted the whole network along with ISP provided modem today and yesterday few times. Not sure if it’s due to Qobuz being new to Canada, or something else is going on.

Search the forum. Qobuz need some more time to speed up in Canada. Especially with higher bitrates.

Thank you Martin for the quick response and useful information :blush:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.