ROON not playing selected music. Error message: "Playing "artist" Undone" (initial German error message "Playing XXX Rückgängig")

Hi Noris,

thank you for your feedback. Before following your advise, would it be possible to delete my roon kernel and install it to another laptop, or would that delete my playlists etc?

Thanks!

Hi @Thomas_Kuhnel,

If you create a Backup of your Database, this preserves the database information stored in Roon. You can still keep Roon on the current PC and if you wish to install it on another PC as a test, you will be presented with an Authorizations message similar to the following:

You can only have one active Roon Core at a time, but you are free to switch between Cores as often as you would like and switching back to the original PC should keep your database intact (but keeping a backup never hurts).

Hi Noris,

Thank you for your feedback.

I tried your approach but coudn´t get the Roon application work on the second laptop RoonServer (C:\Users\IBM\AppData\Local\RoonServer\Application) (Lenovo, Intel Corei5-2520M CPU @ 2,50 GHz, 64 Bit, Windows 7 Professional). When I click the Roon logo I see that something is working, but the ROON GUI wouldn´t open. I am also not prompted with the note regarding “Authorizations”.Should I delete Roon from the first laptop and see how it works after that (though I woul prefer, to being able to switch between different PC´s)? I have meanwhile downloaded the Backup file, as described by you, on a memory stick.

Thank you.

Hi @Thomas_Kuhnel,

It looks like you installed RoonServer, not Roon on the other laptop. RoonServer has no GUI and runs in the system tray.

I suggest trying to install the “All-in-one” version of Roon if you wish to set up Roon on the other PC, it’s listed as “Roon” on our downloads page (not RoonServer):
https://roonlabs.com/downloads.html

You can also exit out of RoonServer if you don’t plan to use it. If you already opened it, it would be listed in the system tray (next to volume icon in bottom right) and you can right-click it -> quit. You might need to click on the “up” arrow to reveal hidden icons there.

Hi Nris,

Not sure, if you receive my previous emails, as I couldn´t see them in the Support email string:

Inline-Bild

Thanks,

Thomas

Am Samstag, 14. Dezember 2019, 10:58:30 MEZ hat Thomas Kuehnel XXXXXX@yahoo.com Folgendes geschrieben:

Hi again,

I have unfortunately heavy dropouts using Air. This is no solution at all. Could you please get back to me asap as this is now the second week and weekend (!) without music? That´s not good…

Thanks.

Am Freitag, 13. Dezember 2019, 21:21:06 MEZ hat Thomas Kuehnel XXXXXX@yahoo.com Folgendes geschrieben:

Hi Noris,

I installed ROON, downloaded the Air app from Devialet and activated Air as zone. It shows the audio graphs moving, also my Devialet automatically switched to AIR but I can´t hear music.

When I select System Output as zone, I can hear the same music via the laptop speakers.

Inline-Bild

Hello @Thomas_Kuhnel,

No, I haven’t received any of the emails you attached to this message. The only way to respond to us would be on Community via the support thread (here’s a direct link: ROON not playing selected music. Error message: "Playing "artist" Undone" (initial German error message "Playing XXX Rückgängig")).

That’s very strange, I am not aware of any Deviaet Air issues. There is however some reports that Devialet via RAAT might exhibit the “Slow loading track” behavior (Audio file loading slowly since Devialet RAAT) but as I mentioned no reports I’ve recently seen for Air.

Is the behavior the same if you connect your Devialet via WiFi instead of Ethernet? I have seen some reports that connecting via WiFi has helped as well as connecting through a non-gigabit switch. You may also want to reach out directly to Devialet with your report.

I am a disappointed that you seem to delegate this issue now to Devialet.

Description Of Issue - Update

1. I had no major issues with Roon RAAT until shortly after the new release.The only issue was the sometimes appearing error message “An audio file is loading slowly”.

2. I wanted to get the Roon RAAT issue solved, instead you suggested a workaround via Devialet AIR, which obviously didn’t work. (The Air issue I am experiencing now (extreme heavy dropouts, which make listening a painful experience, is very different to the “Slow loading track” behavior (no music at all, which is very different to dropouts) The respective error message " “An audio file is loading slowly” is also not displayed now, when I try to use Air now.)

3. It is quite obvious an issue, which appeared after the new Roon release. I did not change or download anything Devialet related. Please therefore don´t forward me to Devialet support.

4. I am now almost two weeks without music. I even had to celebrate my birthday without decent music!

Please get my Roon RAAT working - at least back to where it was prior to the last release of Roon RAAT. Thank you.

Hello @Thomas_Kuhnel,

Before we continue further troubleshooting, I wanted to acknowledge your frustration with the issue you are seeing and the lack of progress thus far. Although we have not gotten to the bottom of the issue just yet, your testing has given us some valuable insight into the current state of your setup.

I consulted with the Roon technical team regarding your support ticket, and they recommended that we test your setup using only local content, removing Tidal from the equation. Since we are not receiving widespread reports of similar issues, we need to understand what makes your setup different and this test will help us further narrow down those possibilities.

To run this test, we recommend that you temporarily disable your Tidal account in Roon by navigating to the Menu > Settings > Services > Tidal screen and clicking “Disable”.

Afterwards, please try playing local content to the “System Output” zone as well as the Roon Ready/RAAT input on your Devialet. If you encounter an error, please note the track that you were playing as well as the local time that the error occurred and share that information with us in this thread.

I appreciate your patience through this troubleshooting process, please do let me know the above information when possible, thank you.

Hi Noris,

I disabled Tidal as you had recommended.
Both System Output and via Roon Raat worked:

9:50 pm Couln´t play via Roon Raat. Pls. see error:

“This station couldn´t get played. Its address might have changed or it is temporarily not available.”

Error message: “This station can´t get played. Its address might have changed or it is temporarily not available.”

Hello @Thomas_Kuhnel,

Thank you for running those tests, it is much appreciated!

Ok, so we have confirmed that local content works as expected in the current setup. Local content doesn’t reach out to the external network, so I believe the issue might be due to external network traffic reaching the Core.

I just tried on my end to play the same station, and I am not seeing any issues on my end with playback, so it appears your Core might not be properly accessing certain external streaming links.

This brings me back to one of the points I raised at the beginning of the thread, I believe we should investigate the DNS aspect further:

Sometimes ISP-provided DNS servers are unreliable. DNS stands for Domain Name Service and they are the facility which translates website links into IP addresses on the external network. I wonder if this is the case for you here as well.

I kindly request that you next try to change the DNS servers located on your Fritzbox, there is a guide from the manufacturer on changing DNS located at this link and instructions on how to access the Fritz User Interface can be located here.

Can you please try updating the DNS servers on your end to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1, re-enable TIDAL and verify if that helps with the streaming issues on your end?

As always, thank you for your patience through this troubleshooting process and do let me know how the DNS change goes or if you have any further questions.

Hi Noris,

thank you for this useful information. I followed your instructions and set the router accordingly:

Should I leave theremaining setting unchanged:

DNSv6-Server

"Vom Internetanbieter zugewiesene DNSv6-Server verwenden (empfohlen)
Andere DNSv6-Server verwenden

Bevorzugter DNSv6-Server
Alternativer DNSv6-Server"

or change it, too?

The music is playing now via Roon RAAT, which is a real relieve. I hope the odd “An audio file is loading slowly” issue is not causing troubles again…

NB: I can´t activate AIR.

Thank you very much.

Hi @Thomas_Kuhnel,

Glad to hear that the DNS changes helped with the issue!

If you wish, you can change these as well, I see that Google lists the following IPv6 DNS servers in their docs:

The Google Public DNS IPv6 addresses are as follows:

• 2001:4860:4860::8888
  • 2001:4860:4860::8844

As for this issue:

Are you by any chance using the Devialet Air driver app as well? Please see our Devialet Air Documentation, specifically this part:

Configure the AIR driver appropriately, or disable it.

When using Roon’s built-in AIR support, the AIR driver is not involved. However, when the AIR driver is streaming to the device, the device is not available for streaming from Roon.

If you don’t plan to use the Devialet AIR driver after switching to Roon’s implementation, feel free to disable it or uninstall it completely.

If you do plan to switch back and forth between Roon and the driver, be sure to enable this setting:

This will prevent the driver from taking control of the Expert when the Expert powers up, which can interfere with Roon’s control of the device. This step should be repeated on all computers in your household that have the AIR driver enabled.

Hi Noris,

Just to let you know, that I had today again intense “An audio file is loading slowly” issues. That´s really odd, but also happened before. Everything was running perfetly smooth yesterday. And different today in the morning. At the moment I can hear again without issues.I haven´t changed anything in parallel, which might have caused this.I even inserted the Google Public DNS IPv6 addresses as advised earlier. had not a real impact, I am afraid.

I won´t be able to check anything in the near future, as I will be on holidays. Have a wonderful X-mas and a happy New Year´s Eve.

Thomas

1 Like

Hi @Thomas_Kuhnel,

Thanks for the update here!

I wonder if perhaps you had two separate issues here? One with the DNS and then the known one for Devialet (Audio file loading slowly since Devialet RAAT)?

For the Devialet-specific one, users have mentioned that using WiFi or a non-gigabit switch helps.

In either case, do let me know how it goes and happy holidays to you as well!

Hi Noris,

Thank you for your reply. I had read through this Audiofile loading slowly thread. However; is there a guide how to set-up “WiFi” (We unsuccessfully tried to get Devialet Air running) or how to set up for a non-gigabit switch (I have to admit, that I even don’t know, what that is).

Thank you!

Hi @Thomas_Kuhnel,

Did you by any chance see this documentation from Devialet? I’m seeing instructions listed in it that discuss how to configure the DAC for WiFi:

Gigabit switches refer to the maximum speeds achievable through the switch. We have not tested this aspect in-depth, but on the “Audio file loading slowly” thread there have been reports that switches which support a maximum speed of 100 megabits help with file loading slowly issues on Devialet DACs. These are typically branded as “Fast Ethernet” switches, not “Gigabit” switches and here is one example of such a switch:

Hi Noris,

Thank you. How/where would I add this “fast ethernet switch”? Somewhere at my router?

Thanks,
Thomas