Roon Nucleus Daily Hard Restart

I have a Roon Nucleus i3 connected to my network through ethernet via a netgear gigabit ethernet unmanaged switch. There is also a Synology 2 bay NAS DS 718+ attached to my network via ethernet that acts as music library.

The Roon Nucleus needs restarting daily (sometimes more than once) or my app will give me the remote connection waiting for remote core screen, whether I try to access the nucleus through the roon app on my computer, iPad, or iPhone.

I have this roon available to several audio systems, including a PS Audio Direct Stream Dac, and Simaudio NEOACE, and several Bluesound Node 2i or PowerNode 2i. I think there are eight zones overall.

Is this a software issue that can be corrected? I’d like to eventually place the roon nucleus in a place where access would be limited. Many thanks for your help.

Hello @Matthew_Chasar,

We’re going to enable diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time when the unit gets into this state. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

-John

6:39 p.m. EST

Hi @Matthew_Chasar,

Thanks for letting us know that timestamp.

I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

Once these are received I will ask our technical team to review them for any signs of abnormal behavior around that timestamp.

Can you please let us know the following info as well?

• When this issue occurs, is the Nucleus Web UI still accessible?
  • I noticed that you have a Netgear unmanaged switch listed, but can you also let us know your router model/manufacturer?
  • Does the Nucleus still have a valid IP address in the router DHCP list when this issue occurs?

Our router is EERO. I don’t know the answer to the other two questions but will endeavor to determine tonight.

1 Like

Getting the same screen trying to login at 8:26 p.m.
The roon nucleus does have a valid ip list in the router DHCP list. The
router says it is “idle.” I’ve attached the
screen shot.
I am not able to access the Web UI if I am doing it right. Is access from the Roon App on my mac?

Regards, Matt

in your browser type in: 192.168.7.76
//Nucleus/ might work too.
if your Nucleus is where your router is saying it is (above) that will bring up the Web UI. Click on the Web UI link Noris or I left you and it explains how to get to it through the Roon App.

I restarted it so I can listen to music (and currently am). The next time the problem occurs I will do it.

Hi @Matthew_Chasar,

I just spoke to the QA team regarding your case and they have suggested that we should try setting the current database aside and try re-importing the media to see if it will help with this issue. To set the current database aside, please follow these instructions:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • Try importing your media files again and reconfigure the database + audio zones

In addition to the above instructions, can you please let me know the following?

1. How was your current Nucleus database created? Was this a fresh install or were you originally running your Roon Core on another machine and migrated the database over to the Nucleus?

2. If you migrated the database over, can you let me know how exactly you did so? Was it via Flash Drive, HDD, NAS? What file format was the device you used to transfer the database over if this was the case? (NTFS/exFAT/FAT32/ect.)

3. How large is your music library? You should be able to find track/album numbers in Roon -> Overview, please let me know these details.

4. As a side note, QA noticed some network instability in the diagnostics. You may want to check with Eero diagnostics to make sure that the router is performing as expected and try bypassing the switch next time issues occur. I can’t say where exactly the bottleneck is occurring but those two tests may help narrow down networking-related issues.

Please let me know if my above instructions are helpful in resolving the issue with the daily Nucleus resets.

– Noris

A post was split to a new topic: Have to reboot Nucleus 1-2 times per day

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.