Roon Nucleus Internal Storage Keeps Replicating After 1.7

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Nucleus Core with added internal SSD drive.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired Ethernet Nighthawk X10

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Nucleus Core -> Oppo 205 USB

Description Of Issue

Upon update to 1.7, Roon Nucleus runs for awhile and then refuses connections. After reboot, it runs and again, refuses connections. I rebooted and navigated to the Data directory (10.0.0.65\Data on my network). The Internal Storage folder appears to be continually replicated within itself. So looking at the navigation in Explorer, you’ll see Storage (\10.0.0.65\Data)(Z:) > Internal Storage > Internal Storage > Internal Storage > Internal Storage… with each subdirectory containing same contents of parent directory.

Ultimately, the Nucleus must lock up and refuse connections, at which time all Roon clients (my Windows desktop and my iPhone app) are unable to connect.

Roon has been stable for last year plus in this configuration. Problems occurred with 1.7 update.

Please advise.

Hi @Seth_Abady,

Welcome to the community. Can I please request that you send me a copy of your Roon logs via Dropbox / Google Drive by using these instructions?

Here’s the link to my log:

Hi @Seth_Abady,

Thank you for sending those logs over. I have been discussing your case with QA and we would like to perform some remote diagnostics on your Nucleus. Is your Nucleus currently powered off? If so, can you please turn it on, connect it to the network and leave it on for the time being?

Hello. I just turned on and will leave on. Note that I unauthorized so I could use my workstation as Roon Server. Note that after about 20 minutes, it becomes inaccessible, at least via my network. Thanks.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Multiple InternalStorage Folders on Nucleus+

Hello. Any feedback from diagnostics?

I’m going to wait and hear from the Roon team. I think they have a pervasive problem with a recursion loop, as I’m seeing other similar posts. Maybe drilling into my environment can help them fix?? @Loic_Venturini do you have actual content stored under InternalStorage (as I do), or is all your content out of that directory structure? I’m going to move my content off storage that came with Nucleus and onto my added internal SSD drive. @noris

Hi @Seth_Abady,

We tried to enable remote diagnostics on the Nucleus last night after your post, but it seemed not to respond to our requests for remote diagnostic access.

We are still discussing internally the best way to proceed with your report and are taking it seriously. I will be sure to let you know once I have further steps or information for you here, after we complete the investigation into this matter.

Thank you!

A post was split to a new topic: Multiple InternalStorage after 1.7 upgrade

@noris no worries… I mainly stream so I just spun up a different core. My guess is the problem is causing Nucleus to crash, hence inability to connect. There’s probably a 20 minute window from reboot to shutdown if you need to coordinate a time.

Hi @Seth_Abady,

Thanks for letting me know. I tried enabling diagnostics for the Nucleus ~5 min after you posted your message so I believe I was within that window. I have enough information to go off of for the time being though, I will let you know once QA completes the internal investigation and I have some next steps for you. Thanks!

Hi @noris,
For what its worth, I did have an external USB drive connected (I knew I had 2 drives). I removed the external drive and rebooted. Same behavior.
Cheers!

Hi @Seth_Abady,

Thanks for that additional info. We are still investigating internally but once I have more information I will let you know!

@noris I know your team is working on this problem. I removed the internal drive so I could continue to use the Nucleus as a core.

HI @Seth_Abady,

I spoke to the QA team who has completed their investigation into this issue. We believe we have a way to resolve this behavior from our end by triggering an update to your watched storage location, but there are a few things we need to address first:

1. The InternalSotrage drive needs to be re-connected
  2. A Backup of your current Roon Database needs to be created
  3. We need to be able to put the Nucleus in diagnostics mode

For #1 & #2 it seems pretty straightforward, for for #3 when we last tried to put your Nucleus in diagnostics mode, it didn’t respond to this command.

I know you mentioned we have a 20 minute window to access it once you plug the drive back in, so I believe it’s best that we schedule a time that works for the both of us and I can go ahead and issue these commands assuming it is accessible in that 20-minute time-span.

I am not sure where you are located, but how does your schedule look like for tomorrow after 2/3PM EST? Would it be possible to create a backup of your database, plug in the InternalStorage drive and coordinate a time that works best for you?

I’m on Pacific Time and tomorrow might be tough. I’m out from 11 to 2:30 Pacific. I’m available after that or Wednesday as early as 6am Pacific.

That said, at this point I’m not super hung up on persisting Roon data. I mainly search and play and have a very small number of playlists. Can I reinstall the drive and just reinitialize? I understand that might not help if you guys are trying to test a fix, but it would be fine with me. If okay, just provide steps. I’m assuming just re-install drive, navigate to Roon Web Administration, then just format internal music storage.

If you’d like to work through a fix, tomorrow 3pm pacific or later, or early Wednesday morning (I’m an early riser and work from home).

The fix should be relatively straightforward as long as the Nucleus responds to the diagnostics request.

Tomorrow at 3PM Pacific time or even after works for me, it’s not an issue since we work remotely as well.

Do you mind sending me a private message when you get back tomorrow (click my name -> message) and we can get the remote diagnostics session started?

Will do. Thanks!

1 Like