Roon Nucleus pauses playback when skipping song in playlist

Anyone have issues with Nucleus+ pausing for 1-3 minutes when shuffling a playlist? Happens intermittently between songs (especially when skipping to the next song), but enough to be annoying. The time bar at the bottom of the Roon app will just go back and forth, like it is searching but cant find the song. After anywhere from 1-3 minutes, it will snap back to life and continue playing again. Anyone else experience this?

Hi @Scott_Rose,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Does this happen for all endpoints?

Have you noticed any specific patterns? Does this seem to happen for some tracks more than others?

Hey Dylan,

Not sure if it happens on other endpoints, as I use those others for background music occasionally, but it has been happening on my main endpoint for a while now. The endpoint is an Auralic Aries G1, using CAT6 in, and USB out to a Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC. The network is a number of switches and ap’s, all Unifi by Ubiquiti. I have attempted to enable flow control on all of the switches (after doing some research), and this made no difference.

Seems to happen most when I am switching between music, whether that be forwarding to the next track, or jumping from one playlist/artist to another. Rarely it will happen during playback, but it has a few times.

I will hit play on a new song, and Roon just sits there, with the status bar going back and forth for up to a few minutes…then it magically starts playing. No error messages. Closing the mobile app/desktop app during this outage does nothing to help. I start the app back up after closing, and the Roon icon is still doing its processing thing with a blank screen, and the indicator bar going back and forth, like I said earlier.

It does not happen on a set pattern, but it does seem to happen more within the first 5-15 minutes of listening…almost like the Nucleus+ has been sleeping, and is woken and starts processing a bunch of stuff. It also happens after adding new albums to my library, all from online services. I do 90% of my listening on Qobuz, but do have about 800GB of local hi-res on my Synology NAS.

The network is healthy. Never have dropouts on wired or wireless. I have Google 1GB fiber coming into the house, and dont use the cheap ISP firewalls. Attached is a diagram of my network topology.

Please let me know what other info I can provide.

Thanks!

Is there any way to enable verbose logging, so next time it happens I can send you any data that might be useful?

EDIT

Just did it again. Was listening to a Qobuz playlist, and after a song ended, Roon stopped any playback and just sat there for 3 minutes, like it was searching for the song. While it is doing this, the app is useless…all I get is the animated Roon logo. Can we please capture logs or something? I know it is not my network, as nothing else is affected during this Roon outage. Def seems to be something internal to the Nucleus+…maybe even a hardware error.

Just happened again. Was in the middle of listening to a Qobuz playlist. After a song ended, Roon stopped playing, and all I got was a blank screen inside the Roon desktop app (with the Roon icon doing its thinking thing). About a minute later, the app screen came back and off we go again. It is almost like the Nucleus gets overwhelmed and needs a minute or two to process and catch up.

Forgot to mention, no upsampling or dsp being applied. Strait HiRes PCM from Qobuz into Roon Nucleus+ into Auralic Aries G1 into Denafrips Terminator+ DAC. This same thing has happened with other streamers (Lumin, Sonore) and DACS (Auralic Vega G2, PrimaLuna Evo 100, PS Audio DS DAC). Also happens when using Nucleus direct attach via USB.

Any advice, or things to test?

Thanks much.

• Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build) - Roon Nucleus+ (1.7 build 710)

• Details on your Remote(s) (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build) - IOS app for iPhone11 and iPad pro, Windows 10 desktop app

• Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured) - See diagram above. Nucleus connected 1GB.

• Audio devices in use - Auralic Aries G1, Denafrips Terminator Plus, PrimaLuna Evo 400, McIntosh MC 601s, Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD.

• Library details (where your music is stored, whether you’re using a streaming service, how many tracks are in your library)- Qubuz and local hi-res. Local has 700GB of music and 12288 tracks on a Synology DS1618+ NAS.

It just happened again. I think I am just going to sell my Nucleus and use Auralic LDS from now on. Roon has become way to flaky, and I am sick of dealing with this crap. Thank god I did not buy a lifetime membership.

Hello @Scott_Rose, my apologies for the frustration here but I’d be happy to help you get things up and going again. I have enabled diagnostics for your account so we can get insight into what you’re experiencing. Once I have received the diagnostic report (which should upload next time your core is active) I’ll send this information over to our QA team for review.

Also, my apologies if I have missed it, do you have this issue with local content as well as streamed content?

I have received the diagnostic report from your core and since passed it over to the QA team. I’ll return as soon as I have their feedback!

Thanks. Do you need me to do anything else? Should I try to get it to fail again, or do you have enough for now?

Thanks

-Scott

Hello @Scott_Rose, thanks for checking in, but the QA team should have enough information for now. I’ll update you with their response as soon as I hear back from them!

OK…Roon support officially sucks.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.