Roon on laptop white screen

Hi,
Does anybody else have an issue with Roon on a laptop (Windows 8) displaying just a white screen after about 20 mins or so. Is it a Roon thing? or is it to do with windows or laptop or graphics card? Is there a way to fix this? Or is it just me??

Pete

I mean the Roon program, not the browser display.

There is a known problem with Intel inbuilt graphics. what graphics are in the laptop?

Not sure to be honest. Intel HD Graphics. Screenshot attached (hopefully!)Snip1

The software doesn’t freeze but the display does.

Ive got the same problem in windows 10. Following.

https://community.roonlabs.com/search?q=intel%20hd%20graphics%20white%20screen
Try and update the graphics card drivers with the manufacturers drivers.

Hello @Peter_Jones/@Marc,

We are aware of this OpenGL issue and have seen users resolve it in the past by trying the 32-bit version of Roon or by updating their Graphics Card drivers. Please let me know if that helps.

– Noris

Hi Noris,
And thanks for your reply. I’ve just checked. My graphics card drivers are up to date. How do I install the 32-bit version of Roon? Do I uninstall the current version and download the 32-bit version?

Pete

@Peter_Jones - Yes. The download link can be found here: https://roonlabs.com/downloads.html

– Noris

Hello Noris,
Thankyou

Hi,
Just reinstalled but no difference I’m afraid.

When you say that, do you mean you checked via Windows? Or did you check via Intel’s drivers site. Usually you want to use drivers from Intel, not the ones that go through Windows Update.

If you can tell us your Intel Processor we can help with finding the correct drivers for you to use.

The Intel Driver Download site is:

1 Like

I’ve gone onto the intel website and used the update wizard to scan and find all updates but it is saying my PC is up to date. If I click on settings in Roon and select Configure Roon OS, it goes searching and just hangs. If I click on Roon again I get a white screen!! Is it my laptop? It’s great software but if it keeps freezing what’s the point?

Hi Peter. What is the make and model of your laptop. That would help knowing exactly what hardware you have.

Hi,
I have an Acer Aspire ES1-512 notebook PC as far as I can see.

Pete

Does anybody else have this issue?

If you mean you get a white screen after you’ve minimised the Roon screen, and then restored it, then indeed this is a known problem on both Windows 8 and Windows 10. See here for a thread for Windows 8.1. Searching the forum using “white screen” as the search term will show up plenty of other cases. This is an issue caused by an interaction between the OpenGL graphics library, some graphics driver versions, and the Intel HD4000 graphics hardware.

You’re running the all-in-one version of Roon on Windows, I expect. This screen is intended to show devices in your network that are running the Roon OS, such as a Roon Nucleus, or a NUC running ROCK. If such a device exists, then the network address is shown. Clicking this will open up the management page of the device in a web browser.

I have had this problem on three notebooks with non- standard screen resolutions. This includes a relatively new Acer notebook similar to the one owned by the poster. My solution is to fully maximize Roon using the option to the right of the hamburger menu bar (after clicking the hamburger menu, click the square with four arrows) and then switching apps by using Windows key>tab on the keyboard. This avoids the white screen.

1 Like