Roon on Windows 10 2004 feeding RME -ADI-2 DAC fs -> BSOD - repeatable

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows 10 v2004/Roon 1.7 Build 555 64bit on Asus z390 Strix-I (ITX) MB

Issue reproduced on an ASUS z390 Hero XI. All drivers are up to date.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Does not involve the network - only involves a connection over USB.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
RME -ADI-2 DAC over USB to Computer

Description Of Issue
Windows crashes (blue screen) when power to the RME is turned off after using the RME with Roon.

• exact steps to reproduce are:
    Start Roon,
    power on DAC,
    select DAC in Roon and
    start playback. After some period of time
    stop playback,
    power off DAC → computer crashes with PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (4e) error message.

Additional Details:

1. Repeatable on core

2. Reproduced issue on another Windows machine with v2004, DAC and Roon. But failed to reproduce it with Jriver. That is, the RME being turned off after use with Jriver did NOT crash windows. I repeated the sequence above 8 times w/out crashing windows. This is the reason I am involving Roon Support.

3. Stack trace implicates the RME driver “madiface_usb”:
    SYMBOL_NAME: madiface_usb_64+7d36
    MODULE_NAME: madiface_usb_64
    IMAGE_NAME: madiface_usb_64.sys
    STACK_COMMAND: .thread ; .cxr ; kb
    BUCKET_ID_FUNC_OFFSET: 7d36
    FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x4E_9a_madiface_usb_64!unknown_function

4. I have reinstalled the OS on the core with the same results. I went back to Win 10 v1909 and the problem did not occur. The system upgraded again today to v2004 and the issue returned - v2004 is the current release of windows.

5. I am using the latest driver from RME and will notify them of this issue as well.

So far this only occurs with the RME and Roon.

1 Like

Hi @steve_smith1,

Do your Windows Error logs contain any errors?
What is the exact local time + date when you reproduced the issue?

Can you check your drive for any hard disk errors?
Also would be good to run through these suggestions I found:

1 Like

Hi @noris,

Yes, the exact local time was 6/17/2020 10:11:13 AM Pacific. There were 3 errors

• kernel-power (the BSOD) and
  • 2 vol manager errors “Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.” However, the dump file was created - so it looks like the errors were followed by a success.

Regarding the fixes suggested/described:

• I checked the drives involved on both systems ( all NVME SSDs) and there were no errors.

• The BSOD tool refered to is not installed/enabled on v2004:

• Drivers are all up to date on both machines as noted.

• One drive is not enabled on either system.

• sfc found corrupt files (resource protection files) and corrected them on drive C: on the system that I reproduced the errors on - I rolled back the OS on the Roon core so I could use it. These may have been involved, but were more at permissions on the drives from reinstalling the OS, e.g.,

2020-06-17 20:57:44, Info CSI 000001b3 Warning: Overlap: Directory ??\C:\Program Files (x86)\ is owned twice or has its security set twice
Original owner: Microsoft-Windows-shell32, version 10.0.19041.329, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}
New owner: Microsoft-Windows-shell32, version 10.0.19041.329, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}
2020-06-17 20:57:44, Info CSI 000001b4 Warning: Overlap: Directory ??\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ is owned twice or has its security set twice
Original owner: Microsoft-Windows-shell32, version 10.0.19041.329, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}
New owner: Microsoft-Windows-shell32, version 10.0.19041.329, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}
2020-06-17 20:57:44, Info CSI 000001b5 Warning: Overlap: Directory ??\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ is owned twice or has its security set twice
2020-06-17 20:57:44, Info CSI 000001b6 Warning: Overlap: Directory ??\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ is owned twice or has its security set twice

• that said I will recheck tomorrow and see if the BSOD still occurs or not and let you know.

ADDED: I checked the core system with the OS rolled back and sfc also found similar errors on the C: drive. The OS version is 1909.

-Steve

I successfully reproduced the error by powering off the RME, however this time the crash was more severe in that no debug log was left nor were there any errors in the log. It was a black screen affair, no blue screen appeared.

-Steve

Hi @steve_smith1,

Thanks for running through that article’s suggestion.
Do you by any chance have a full crash dump from before?
If so can you upload to Dropbox / Google Drive and send me a link?

I have started having this same issue the last week or so. It only happens when I use Roonlabs, HQ Player and RME Adi 2 Dac. Everything is fine when everything is on, but when i want to stop listening to music and turn off HQ Player, Roonlabs and the RME I get this blue screen.

1 Like

Hi @noris,

Are there any updates?

Thanks

Hi @steve_smith1 (and @mathias1973 joining us),

Thank you for your reports. I have been in touch with our hardware team and they will attempt to reproduce your findings in the lab. Once I have further information from them, we will reach out once more, thanks!

For me it seems like it was HQ player that for some reason stopped working properly (I did tests turning off things in different order). So when i uninstalled HQ player and then installed it again the problem seems to have disappeared.

regards
mathias

So powering off the RME does not cause the system to crash? What version of windows 10 are you using?

Thanks

No, for me it was the HQ Player. But I think I spoke to soon, cause when you asked me about RME i turned that off and on and nothing happened. Then I shut down Roon and nothing happened. But when I shut down HQ player the computer went for the BSOD again…strange this! I have Windows 10 Pro, version 2004, installed 2020-06-13, OS version 19041,329, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2202.130.0.

Hi @noris

UPDATE to ISSUE:
There was a significant Microsoft update to windows 2004 yesterday and I updated my server to it to see if the issue was related to Microsoft. It wasn’t - I received the same BSOD and error message.

Updates would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi @steve_smith1,

We attempted to reproduce your findings in the QA lab but have been unable to do so successfully. Can you please provide some more info?

1. When this issue occurs, do you use ASIO or WASAPI driver?
  2. Do you have your RME in Stereo or Multichannel Mode?
  3. What does your Device Setup tab look like? Can you share a screenshot (with “Advanced” showing as well)?
  4. Are you using the latest RME driver for your Windows PC?

Hi @noris,

1. ASIO is the problem - WASAPI works fine
  2. Stereo (no way to change it that I can find)
  3. Setup tab
  4. yes. .9716 dated 3/2/20
1 Like

Etron USB drivers can cause the error message you are getting. Does your motherboard use them. Since the error involves the USB port, I thought Id ask.

No, its an Asus motherboard - on this one they used Intel (chipset) ASMEDIA and Realtek sound drivers.

Thanks for asking.

Hi @steve_smith1.

Thanks for the info. It looks like the screenshots need approval to view, you can also upload them to the forum directly next time, Device Setup settings is not sensitive info. Please grant access or re-upload to the forum so we can take a look at the settings you have in palce.

Realtek sound drivers have caused issues in the past with devices disappearing from Roon -> Audio, I wonder if this is triggering the issue on your end. If you try to temporarily disable the Realtek drivers from Device Manager in Windows, are you still able to reproduce the issue?

Hi @noris,

Sorry for the delay - links should work fine now.

W/r/t the Realtek drivers - I have had issues with them disappearing from Roon - my biggest complaint about Roon because I have to periodically reinstall my core to fix it, but I never knew that was an issue until now. That said I’ve not had that problem since I upgraded the motherboard from a z370 to z390 chipset several months ago.

I will pull the drivers and let you know the results.

[Update]
I removed the Realtek audio drivers from the system, no change. As soon as I powered off the RME - BSOD with the same error.

1 Like

Thanks for testing that aspect @steve_smith1, let me pass on the new info to our hardware team and see if this helps with reproducing the issue.

Hey Steve,

Not saying this is releated to your USB issues.

To add on, one of the real culprits of the Realtek software installs is the Nahimic driver/service. Even if you uninstall the audio drivers, that driver/service may still be lurking around. It is used for 3D audio processing. If it is there, try disabling the service.