Roon performance terribly slow since v 2 build 1221

Hi @benjamin,

After updating to Roon 2.0 Build 1221 a few weeks ago, I am seeing a mega mega slow performance of everything search-related. For example, a search in my track library takes 10, 12, 15 seconds. Trying to edit a track leads to temporarily breakdown of the whole system. See screenshots here:

I am really really hoping that you can somehow help me up to speed here agaio.
Thank you,
Michael

3 Likes

Hey @Michael_Putz,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! If you could, please fill out the necessary system info below:

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!

With that, how is your core connected to your router? I would first give both your core and router a hard reboot, leaving them unplugged for a few minutes before restarting.

A few of us have been having same issue. It has made Roon not usable for me. I posted for support but no response yet. I still have Qobuz so I could manage without Roon, would love a fix. I have tried a number of things that should have resolved the issue, new modem, new router, new Lan cables, and the parade of problems continue. I am believe it is related to update so perhaps Roon will push out another update and resolve all our issues :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi @benjamin - thanks for your swift reply!

That’s the stuff I am using:

Roon Nucleus | Serial #54B2039B7FF1 | Version 1.0 (build 254)
Roon Server Software Version 2.0 (build 1223)
Internal Music Storage 4000GB, Samsung SSD 870 | 33% of 3696 GB available
Networking Gear: Fritz!Box 7590 | m-net
Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit
Connected to Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra (which is connected to marantz PM7008

Description of Issue:
Roon is terribly terribly (terribly!) slow - it takes up to 10-15 sec to open “My Tracks” library in Roon - see picture

Also searching within the track library takes way way (way) longer than it used to be before built 1221 was installed.

On a busy week editing stuff in the Roon library it happens two, three times per week that the Roon Core disconnect completely. See example here:

Thanks for your help on this!
Michael

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Roon Slow Performance

A post was split to a new topic: Slow performance with ROCK core

Thanks for the info @Michael_Putz,

Upon further investigation, we’re seeing some errors that could be slowing things down, both around your external drive, as well as many lost network connection traces.

Could you please provide more information around your network setup? And, if possible, reboot your router and hardwire your core to it via ethernet?

With that, do you have an external drive connected to your Nucuels? Perhaps a KESU USB3.0? Testing out Roon without having your external drive attached can be a bit tedious and so we may want to first investigate your network setup to make sure things are looking good there first and foremost.

I’ll be on the lookout for your reply. :+1:

@benjamin

I haven’t experienced any failures of my internet or wifi lately.

I am using m-net as phone and internet service provider (Surf-Fon-Flat deal w/ 100Mbit/s) via FRITZ!Box 7590 with FRITZ!OS version 7.50.

Some network connection details, I’ve found in my FRITZ!Box interface:

• DS-lite-tunnel ↓ 97,7 Mbit/s ↑ 46,9 Mbit/s
  • DSL ↓ 100,0 Mbit/s ↑ 48,0 Mbit/s
  • Nucleus via LAN 3 w/ 1 Gbit/s
  • stream-box-s2-ultra via LAN 4 w/ 100 Mbit/s

Re: external drive – to which drive are you referring to?

• Indeed, there have been some problems with an external drive which I’ve used for scheduled Roon backups. This hard disk is broken and disconnected in the meantime. I am about to replace it with a new one.
  • Inside the Nucleus itself are two other hard drives, one dedicated to my music content (a Samsung »870 QVO« internal SSD, 4 TB, 2.5" 560 MB/S read speed, 530 MB/S write speed)

• 
and the one made by and for Roon purposes.

Thank you!

Hey @Michael_Putz,

Thanks for the update. Do you have a recent backup available?

I’d be curious to see how things run on a fresh database, before restoring from a backup and before adding the majority of your local library. If you can, make a fresh backup before doing anything. A recent backup will also suffice.

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

Test to see how things run before restoring any backup or watched folder.

@benjamin

I’ve followed all steps and tested the brand new and untouched RoonServer Core / data. It took quite some time importing all albums and tracks. After that, searching for specific tracks, e.g. show all tracks containing “love”, “stars” or “zombie”, took between 7 and 13 seconds per search. So, unfortunately, still no improvement

Re: Your statement earlier, that you do see issues on the external harddrive – to which of the drives did you refer to?

Thanks for further guidance on this issue. Thank you!
Michael

Hey @Michael_Putz,

Per my initial request around the database refresh:

My apologies if I was not clear enough. If you do not use Tidal or Qobuz in Roon, and you are only using a local library, the test behind refreshing your database is to test how things perform before restoring a backup or adding most of your local library back. Typically, we will have users refresh their database, and then log into one of the offered streaming services to see how things perform.

Did you manage to test performance before re-adding your entire library?

Yes, do you have any external drives connected to your Nucleus?

@benjamin — thank you. I’ve mentioned the hard drive situation in my room before — see the quote above. Feedback on this would be great.

Oh, checking BEFORE adding my library
 but what’s there then to check? Hm, that didn’t made sense to me. Any track queries for, say, one or two albums will be way quicker anyway compared to the current library size, doesn’t it?

Unfortunately , I’ll be on a longer business trip now.
I’ll come back to you around April 13.

Please do not close this issue.
Stay tuned, thank you :pray:

Hey @Michael_Putz,

You would test out performance of the Nucleus before your full library is added back. Whether its syncing your streaming services and testing performance there, or adding a small subset of your library back to your Nucleus to test performance.

It helps us narrow down if your library is the definite cause, and with that, if there are corrupted tracks or specific albums that are causing the drop in performance.

@benjamin - I’ve unsuccsessfully tried what you’ve described in your post on Mar 18.
I somehow cannot connect to the “another core”

New RoonServer folder is in place:

And the (restarted) things in the WebUI seems to be running all smoothly, but “Uh!..”

Pls advise
 Thank you!

Hey @Michael_Putz,

Based on the screenshot you’ve shared, I believe you are in line with the final step of the process:

You should have the option to ‘Select a different core’ in which your Nucleus will pop up. Certainly let me know if this is not the case. :+1:

@benjamin A sorry, the screenshot you see is the one AFTER I’ve selected the different core!

Hey @Michael_Putz,

Thanks for letting me know! If you could, please try:

1. Selecting the remote you are using as a temporary core (your windows 11 desktop would be good.)
  2. Once you have Roon up and running with your windows 11 core, head into settings>general and disconnect from this core.
  3. See if your Nucleus is available to select as a core.

Thanks!

@benjamin - I’ve done these steps (see screenshots):

(Use this PC - clicked)

And now?
Cannot follow
 Sorry.

@benjamin

I’ve tried to follow your instructions from Mar 21 once again - screenshots & comments from each of there steps:

** Create a Backup of your current Roon Database*
done

** Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI*

done

** Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location*
** Find the folder that says “RoonServer”*

** Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”*
done
** Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database*

done

• On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

I’ve chosen “This PC” as the temporary core; I had to re-login; I haven’t added any folder or music in to, HOWEVER the system automatically started to add all the music stuff on my PC - cannot stop it
 Aaaahhhhrrrggg

** Test to see how things run before restoring any backup or watched folder.

So, after an hour or so the music is (again!) on the new Roon Server
 What have I done wrong? Nevertheless, I’ve tested the performance, because the music was added but no tags and history and anything I’ve added, edited or whatever, so, maybe it made sense anyway: Result: No improvement! The track search (and other searches, e.g. when trying to add a credit) takes way (way) too long (<10 sec Tracks with “Love”) 
 Pls advise. Thank you for any help. It’s unbearable ij the meantime, and not the performance I do know from Roon. Thank you!