Roon performance terribly slow since v 2 build 1221

Hi @benjamin,

After updating to Roon 2.0 Build 1221 a few weeks ago, I am seeing a mega mega slow performance of everything search-related. For example, a search in my track library takes 10, 12, 15 seconds. Trying to edit a track leads to temporarily breakdown of the whole system. See screenshots here:

I am really really hoping that you can somehow help me up to speed here agaio.
Thank you,

1 Like

Hey @Michael_Putz,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! If you could, please fill out the necessary system info below:

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!

With that, how is your core connected to your router? I would first give both your core and router a hard reboot, leaving them unplugged for a few minutes before restarting.

A few of us have been having same issue. It has made Roon not usable for me. I posted for support but no response yet. I still have Qobuz so I could manage without Roon, would love a fix. I have tried a number of things that should have resolved the issue, new modem, new router, new Lan cables, and the parade of problems continue. I am believe it is related to update so perhaps Roon will push out another update and resolve all our issues :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi @benjamin - thanks for your swift reply!

That’s the stuff I am using:

Roon Nucleus | Serial #54B2039B7FF1 | Version 1.0 (build 254)
Roon Server Software Version 2.0 (build 1223)
Internal Music Storage 4000GB, Samsung SSD 870 | 33% of 3696 GB available
Networking Gear: Fritz!Box 7590 | m-net
Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit
Connected to Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra (which is connected to marantz PM7008

Description of Issue:
Roon is terribly terribly (terribly!) slow - it takes up to 10-15 sec to open “My Tracks” library in Roon - see picture

Also searching within the track library takes way way (way) longer than it used to be before built 1221 was installed.

On a busy week editing stuff in the Roon library it happens two, three times per week that the Roon Core disconnect completely. See example here:

Thanks for your help on this!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Roon Slow Performance

A post was split to a new topic: Slow performance with ROCK core

Thanks for the info @Michael_Putz,

Upon further investigation, we’re seeing some errors that could be slowing things down, both around your external drive, as well as many lost network connection traces.

Could you please provide more information around your network setup? And, if possible, reboot your router and hardwire your core to it via ethernet?

With that, do you have an external drive connected to your Nucuels? Perhaps a KESU USB3.0? Testing out Roon without having your external drive attached can be a bit tedious and so we may want to first investigate your network setup to make sure things are looking good there first and foremost.

I’ll be on the lookout for your reply. :+1:


I haven’t experienced any failures of my internet or wifi lately.

I am using m-net as phone and internet service provider (Surf-Fon-Flat deal w/ 100Mbit/s) via FRITZ!Box 7590 with FRITZ!OS version 7.50.

Some network connection details, I’ve found in my FRITZ!Box interface:

  • DS-lite-tunnel ↓ 97,7 Mbit/s ↑ 46,9 Mbit/s
  • DSL ↓ 100,0 Mbit/s ↑ 48,0 Mbit/s
  • Nucleus via LAN 3 w/ 1 Gbit/s
  • stream-box-s2-ultra via LAN 4 w/ 100 Mbit/s

Re: external drive – to which drive are you referring to?

  • Indeed, there have been some problems with an external drive which I’ve used for scheduled Roon backups. This hard disk is broken and disconnected in the meantime. I am about to replace it with a new one.
  • Inside the Nucleus itself are two other hard drives, one dedicated to my music content (a Samsung »870 QVO« internal SSD, 4 TB, 2.5" 560 MB/S read speed, 530 MB/S write speed)…
  • …and the one made by and for Roon purposes.

Thank you!

Hey @Michael_Putz,

Thanks for the update. Do you have a recent backup available?

I’d be curious to see how things run on a fresh database, before restoring from a backup and before adding the majority of your local library. If you can, make a fresh backup before doing anything. A recent backup will also suffice.

  • Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

Test to see how things run before restoring any backup or watched folder.