Roon performance terribly slow since v 2 build 1221

Hey @Michael_Putz,

You’ve refreshed your Nucleus database, but then selected your Windows 11 desktop as your core device.

When you get to this screen (if you try this in the future) you would click ‘Unauthorize’ next to your Nucleus core. That would then prompt you to set up the windows 11.

At this point, you can follow the same directions I mentioned earlier to get back onto your Nucleus:

Once you re-connect your Nucleus as your core, it’ll still be on a fresh database, so none of your prior profile data will show. You’ll need to restore from a recent backup. Before doing that, I would test out adding a small number of tracks to the Nucleus and test out performance.

After that, here are directions on restoring from a backup:

@benjamin - I’ve successfully done as instructed (hurray!). Now I do see 10 artists, 68 albums, 526 tracks in my new library (with an unauthorized Nucleus).

Searching or editing responds way faster than before (like instead of waiting 10 or more seconds for tracks containing “love” for example, it now takes less than a second). For identifying an unidetified album it takes roon about 2-3 seconds to show me the possible albums to select. After I’ve selected an album from the list, it took 2 seconds to lead to the “Let’s make sure everything is in order” page.

What do you say on this? What would be the next step moving forward? Thank you!
Michael

PS: After returning to the actual set-up, I do have this problem here:
But, internet and network is running perfectly, and the very latest version of roon is installed… How to solve this?

Hey @Michael_Putz,

Thanks for the update!

Something related to your library may be causing the slowness you’re experiencing. Are you able to provide more information around how your library is built? Is the structure similar to :

Drive>Music>Artist 1>Album1
--------------------------->Album2
--------------------------->Album3

Drive>Music>Artist 2>Album1
--------------------------->Album2
--------------------------->Album3

Do you use a third-party metadata editor for your library?

At this point, you can either:

1. Restore your database back to your recent backup - which will load back all your settings, and most likely the slower performance.
  2. Slowly add back sections of your library one at a time, and continue to test performance to see how things run. Test to see if there is a specific track number you hit before things start to slow down.

In the meantime, I will discuss this with our dev team for additional information and investigation.

Thanks!

@benjamin — yes!

Hm, no… when ripping CD’s the CD ripper tool uses Gracenote, I guess.

Thank you — looking forward to your reply
Michael

Hey @Michael_Putz,

Thanks for your patience! After discussing with the team, it would be best to test out slowly adding back sections of your library one at a time, and continue to test performance to see how things run.

Test to see if there is a specific track number you hit before things start to slow down and take note of the date and time, as well as recent albums added that coincide with the degraded performance.

Thanks!

@benjamin

I do appreciate your feedback, but this definitely c a n n o t be the only solution here!
Your guys can check logs, right?
I do n o t have the patience or time to test as mentioned above, I am running a business and in my private hours I do want to enjoy Roon as promised! Sorry…

Also, I’ve switched back to the Nucleus as Roon Server. And - as mentioned - I do have the next unfortunate and very much annoying problems:

1. Metadata improver paused (systems are running with the most recent Roon update & nothing that has changed with my internet or network connects whatsoever)
  2. Roon is endlessly adding music to my library (same problem I’ve had in Sep '21 and that was solved back then by @dylan (see here: Endless adding to library)

Please (please!) find another solution for the whole annoying situation. Thank you!
Michael

Hey @Michael_Putz,

I understand your situation.

We have reviewed your core logs closely, a few different times at this point, but unfortunately, they are not providing any additional indication of what might be going on.

Have you rebooted your core recently? This will oftentimes solve this issue. Here is more information for you:

Thanks for sharing the above. Can you provide the current status of your tags? Did you ever get that sorted out? How many tracks are you dedicating a single tag to on your most recent database?

Per the thread you shared, the issue was solved by refreshing your database and restoring a backup which has already been done here. If you’d like to, you can certainly restore your database from a recent backup and see if that helps.

How many tracks are being added to your library? Had you already restored from a prior backup, or are they being added on your fresh database that you’ve recently loaded?

We will continue to investigate potential causes of your slowness in the meantime. :+1:

@benjamin thank you for your understanding.
The both most recent problems have been solved miraculously (metadata improver & endlessly adding music).

Unfortunately however, the overall terribly slow performance of roon (especially when filtering tracks) remains unsolved :-/

I do think I have sorted this out (I’ve had various tags dedicated to thousands of tracks). All in all, I do have 56,383 tracks in my database. I do have four different tags now: 10 tracks w/ “defect”, 809 tracks w/ “doublet”, 82 tracks w/ “to be edited”, 13 tracks w/ “over-remastered”.

Please do so - roon is so unnervingly slow…
Thanks
Michael

Hey @Michael_Putz,

We’ve just released a new build - Roon Build 1272 that has addressed a performance issue on Roon OS that may very well help you.

If you could, please update your core to the newest build and let me know how things run. :+1:

@benjamin - thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, no improvement :-/

Hi @benjamin

Still no improvement. Still very sad (and mad) about this :-/

In case of finding the time and nerve trying out what you’ve suggested earlier…

…do you and the team really request to “slowly add” tracks without any roon history, roon edits (renaming, manually added metadata, given hearts and picks, merges/groups/ungroups etc.)?
Just the tracks as they are, no editing, corrected cover pics and stuff, right? If that’s correct, you do really mean that one, few, or many of the tracks in my library are causing this problem? What am I looking at/what are you guys do expect? Defect files? Certain special characters? Maybe I can speed up the things, if I know what I have to look out for…

Basically, I would have rather guessed that the editing (like the tags that caused troubles before) might be the reason for the performance problems, am I wrong here?

Thanks

1 Like

Hey @Michael_Putz,

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear things are still running slowly for you.

In this situation, I asked the above in order to test for library/database corruption, since your core diagnostics didn’t point us specifically to this conclusion. By refreshing your database, and adding a small portion of your library to the new database, it can provide a good indication if your issue is tied to your library.

Can you provide more information around the edits your making, outside of tagging? Are you editing in large numbers? Do you use a third-party metadata editor?

Do you by chance have an older backup saved that pre-dates your issue? Restoring your database using this backup may also provide a good indicator that your current library may be experiencing low-level corruption.

Thanks!

@benjamin - the following is an estimated guess:

1. approximately 10% of the tracks in my library are live tracks without a date or location of the live performance. I do want to add proper date and location details to all of them (I am adding this info track by track over time and I am doing this on my own, manually, without an external data service provider).
  2. approximately another 10% of the tracks in library are on compilations. My goal is to add correct date of performance here as well. Data is added step by step manually.

So, when I’ll be finished, I do hope to have added date (and in some cases location) of performance to about 20% of all the tracks in the library. I do guess I am not even half way there.

PLEASE continue to find a solution for the terrible slow performance of roon :-/
Michael

@benjamin - just wanted to add that the terribly slow performance is not limited on track-related actions. It also takes long (more than five seconds) to open any album, to display albums accoring to certain filters etc…
THANKS FOR ANY HELP (please)!

Hi @Michael_Putz,

It is not clear if you have gone through this troubleshooting step yet?

Thanks for the information around your tagging. For any larger editing, I do suggest using a third-party editor which will properly edit the core file itself. Roon is not meant to be used for large-quantity metadata editing, nor will it ever edit the file itself outside of Roon.

Thanks!

@benjamin - I’ve tried to go through this troubleshooting steps (= “slowly adding music to your library”).
I’ve gone through all your steps: backup → stop roon server software → rename roonserver file to roonserver_old → restarting roon server → set up a roon core on this pc → unauthorize nucleus → using pc as roon core (36 albums on C:/ hard drive).

Now, I’ve added folder by folder from the library, I am normally using (and which causes so much trouble). I do so alphabetically. I’ve used the track filter every now and then to check how the performance changes.

These are the results:
“0 - An” folders (58 artists, 133 albums, 1412 tracks)
+“Al - Bad” folders (93 artists, 235 albums, 2572 tracks)
+“Bal - Bj” folders (146 artists, 421 albums, 4700 tracks)
+“Bl - Bu” folders (198 artists, 579 albums, 6483 tracks)
+“C - Ci” folders (246 artists, 667 albums, 7544 tracks)

For all the above: filtering tracks = less than a second until result is displayed.

Every now and then during this process I’ve helped roon (if possible) to identify albums that roon couldn’t identify automatically [that is, until artists starting with “C”, because I was getting upset in the meantime doing this stupid whole thing, I’ve already done ages ago…].

After this (and having spend something like three, four hours on this unnerving procedure), I’ve added all the rest at once. This was a wise decision, because: filtering tracks = less than a second until result is displayed for all the (old) tracks in the (new) library.

All the tracks are not edited in any way (like I did in my regular library). All undentified albums are still unidentified (except for some, up until artists starting with “C”).

OK.
Done that.

And now?

Thanks for H-E-L-P !!!
Michael

@benjamin - I am wondering how to proceed. I am not using roon at all right now, which is deeply unsatifying (given that I’ve payed the “lifetime” deal money - what a short lifetime that is).

What do you recommend?

• keeping the PC as roon core for trying out further steps in troubleshooting?
  • or switching back to the former roon core (Nucleus) and continue troubleshooting process there?
  • what can I do / provide for any progress here?
  • re: backup. I do not have any older backups available.
  • re: external metadata: do you know how/with what kind of provider (SongKong?) to fill recording location and start/end of recording date with an external provider (if that’s the cause of the troubles, that is)?

Thank you!
Michael

Hey @Michael_Putz,

I very much appreciate your patience and troubleshooting thus far! I do think there may have been a bit of a miscommunication though. Specifically:

The above testing you performed was supposed to remain on the Nucleus, just with a smaller portion of your library added.

You’re exactly right here - if you’re able to only add a smaller subsection of your library to your Nucleus, and test for performance, that is the real test we’re interested in.

@benjamin — oh dear, I think I’ve completely lost track here.
I’ll try again in the weekend of the coming week.
Please, before I do, can you provide information how I can add more than one folder at the same time (in my case folder = artist). It would speed up things a little. Thank you!

1 Like

Hey @Michael_Putz,

Great question! Typically, I would set aside a separate folder, and add/copy over a handful of albums (this would be a separate location from where your local library is typically stored) and then add that newly created folder by itself, which should then add the handful of artists all at once. :+1: