Roon plug-in for Elgato Stream Deck released

This post explains why the port number shouldn’t be hard coded: Roon Api on Build 880: Connection refused error :( - #3 by brian :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks for all the troubleshooting everyone - I haven’t time to work on this plug-in for a long time. I wrote it originally for my son, but he’s moved out since then, I don’t actually even have a Streamdeck in the house anymore which has made it even less of a priority.

With that being said, if there’s anyone who wants to take ownership of the project please let me know. We can then coordinate with Elgato to switch out the plug-in in the store to the newly owned version. In the meantime:

• I’ve made the code repository public in case there’s a need for anyone to tweak or build a custom version: GitHub - docBliny/streamdeck-roon: Roon controller for Elgato Stream Deck
  • If I remember correctly, the code doesn’t use autodetection of the port because of the limitations imposed by effectively running in a browser sandbox for Streamdeck. I haven’t checked if this has changed, but that is likely still to be a limitation (unless you write custom code to try connections on the allocated port range or find another option to the discovery process).

//Tomi B.

Excellent James, thanks for that.I now know where to look in the future!

Hi all

i also can’t seem to get it to work since the latest roon build, if anyone has a solution of this would be great to discuss here

best

Z

Hi @zeltak_b

The problem is that the Roon Core API port is now dynamic. For example, on my ROCK Core which I just updated to build 884, the port is now 9330. However, thanks to @James_I, it is easy to find out the port.

If it has changed, you need first to set the port for one Roon button in Configure Stream Deck for Roon. And then go to Roon Settings → Extensions where you should see Tomi Blinnikka’s extension listed and can authorise it.

Your Stream Deck should then be back to normal

david

PS The good news is that my port did not change between build 882 and 884, though it did change between 880 and 882 when i had the same problem as you are having.

wow @David_Small thx so much, my issue was that i didn’t re-enable it after the port change so thought it didn’t work. after doing so it works life a charm

really appreciate your kind help

best

Z

Just want to say that I was stuck until I found @David_Small 's comment with the updated port. I also appreciate your explanation of how to find the port. I’m sure this will come in handy for other needs.

Thank you!

Thank you. I thought it would be useful to know about how to find the current port (thanks to @James_I). I was surprised how much I missed the Stream Deck Roon extension when it wasn’t working. For example, if a call comes in I can pause the music just by pressing a button, rather than having to scramble to open the Roon app. Continuing thanks to @Tomi_Blinnikka for creating it.

david

Thank you @David_Small for posting this fix. Very much appreciated. I just love this Stream Deck extension, and it’s great to get it working again. Thanks again to @Tomi_Blinnikka for creating it. It’s just fantastic.

Does the plugin for stream deck update automatically, mine is constantly dropping. I have to go into stream deck click a button with roon where states roon core is not connected, click connect then it works again.

Its not a port thing persay.

Hi @Gareth_Irwin I use the Roon plugin every day and haven’t noticed any particular problems since the port change issue in December 2021. I think I’ve noticed the Roon buttons going grey from time to time, usually when something changes, such as updating the Rock Core or updating the Stream Deck software but usually it re-establishes communications without having to do anything much. I have one button to Play a Selected Radio Station which is useful for checking. Current version of plugin is [1.0.7] - 2020-08-07

Hi all

was wondering if in the play related items there could be an option to launch bookmark? currently I only seem options for playlists and tags

thx a bunch!

Z

Hey Z,

I just double-checked and it doesn’t look like bookmarks are available via the Roon API. Sorry!

//TB

@Gareth_Irwin ,

If it’s dropping the connection, then it’s likely some network related issue between Roon and your computer unfortunately (though I guess it could be some power saving option, too). However, you shouldn’t have to go the configuration to click Connect, though. Using any of the buttons (when they’re greyed out/connection is lost) should attempt to reconnect. So theoretically the worst case should be that you have to hit “Play” for example twice.

//TB

thx for checking @Tomi_Blinnikka !

Z

To be fair it has behaved for the past few weeks, so perhaps a glitch in the matrix

Thank you for this, it’s fantastic

1 Like

My Roon runs on a QNAP server, on the Roon app the port shown is also 9330.
In the Streamdeck app, I’ve tried the IP address of my QNAP as a hostname, I’ve tried the SMB path that is shown in my Roon account, and I’ve also tried roon.local as a hostname.
With none of these settings my Streamdeck connects to Roon and in the Roon app, the Streamdeck extension doesn’t shop up.
I’ve also tried the CURL command on the https://bliny.net/streamdeck-roon/ site with my NAS IP address and 9330 as a port and the output is correct - so my host data is correct - but no connection (have even tried to switch all involved firewalls off).

HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Content-Length: 0

Any further ideas what I’m doing wrong?

Seems like you’ve tried the normal troubleshooting steps. The only thing I can think of right now is whether both the QNAP and your computer are on the same subnet? I would also double-check the port since that can change on the fly, in case it’s changed while you’ve been trying to get it to work. Using the IP address should remove several potential issues out of the way, such as name resolution.

@Guenther_Haschberger I was just messing around having restored my ROCK Core database and the Stream Deck didn’t connect. I checked Extensions and found that the Tomi Blinnikka Stream Deck controller needed to be authorized. Having clicked the Authorize button, everything recovered. Might be worth checking Extensions.

david