Roon pop and static noise

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nuc 8 i7 / 8gb ram / 500gb ssd / akasa turing fanless case.
Operating system v 1.0 build 175. Roon server software v. 1.6 build 416
Streaming through tidal
Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear r6250 / connected to a 15ft ethernet cable

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Cisco cable modem > netgear r6250 > 15ft ethernet cable > nuc 8 i7 > 1 meter usb cable > Schiit Bifrost 2 > morrow 1 meter interconnect > schiit saga preamp > svs 1 meter interconnect > parasound a21 > svs speaker cables > tekton double impact

Description Of Issue

I have a bunch of popping noises coming through the speakers. It almost sounds like static little pops. They are not very loud but loud enough to hear them when playing music at soft volume. It happens only when a song is playing, when there’s nothing playing they stop. There’s probably 2 little pops every second and they don’t stop throughout the song no matter which one. It’s a very annoying issue since they’re there the whole entire time. I don’t use dsp and my signal path is lossless. All my equipment except for the cable modem and the router are connected to a furman power conditioner. Please assist this is a very annoying issue especially at low volume.

1 Like

Hi @Juan_Carlos_Rivera,

Can you share a screenshot of Device Setup for this Zone, as well as a screenshot of the Signal Path when playing content to it?

Does this happen with other Zones?

Do you have a way (another DAC?) to test the chain without the Bifrost 2? The reason I’m asking is that Schiit have confirmed on a different board two issues with (early?) Bifrost 2s: 1) a small number had capacitors from a bad batch that need to be replaced; 2) a firmware issue that is being fixed with an update (they are sending a microSD with the new firmware to buyers).

Hi Dylan! I’m actually out of town at the moment will be back tomorrow and take a screenshot. I do remember the way I have it set up since I’ve tried many different configurations with no luck.
Exclusive mode - no
DSD - convert to pcm
MQA - no mqa capabilities
Volume control - device volume
Volume limit - none
Resync delay - 0ms

Advanced
Max sample rate - 192khz
Max bits - 24
Max dsd - none
Zone group delay - 0
Clock master priority - default
Enable mqa core decoder - yes
Multichannel mixing - downmix as needed

I stream only tidal no dsd or any other type of format. I have tried changing the sampling and bit rate but it doesn’t make a difference.
Thanks for the reply!

Hi @Fernando_Pereira I actually do have a modi 1st generation and it does show the same issue. At first I thought that it was the bulb of the saga preamp going bad, but I replaced it for a NOS russian tube from upscale audio and the pops didn’t go away. I also tried a MacBook Pro using audirvana plus and the pops aren’t there. I actually did hear about the issue of the bifrost 2 and I already contacted schiit, I’m sending it tomorrow to get a replacement :grimacing: The pops are only audible when the nuc is loading which makes me believe that it’s a problem within the nuc.
Also my signal path is lossless. Tidal > roon core > bifrost 2. Connected via a schiit usb 1 meter cable (I believe it’s made by straightwire)
Thanks for helping!

Hi @Juan_Carlos_Rivera,

I wanted to check in and see if you were able to send the screenshots mentioned above over to us.

Additionally, can you confirm if the same behavior happens when the Bifrost 2 is connected to your Mac and playing to it from Roon?

Hi @dylan I’m sorry for the late reply work has been a bit heavy lately. So I attached the screenshots. I sent back my Bifrost 2 and I barely received my new replacement. I plugged it in today and I still hear the pops. I tried using my MacBook as the source but I wasn’t able to enable it in roon. I have two Google Chromecast audio and I don’t hear any pops at all. Thanks for the help!

A post was split to a new topic: Pops and static from endpoint

Hi @Juan_Carlos_Rivera,

Did you receive any errors when you tried to enable the DAC?

Hi @dylan I didn’t receive any errors at all. I went to the audio settings to select my MacBook as the source after I downloaded roon and it wouldn’t show up like everything else that I’ve plugged in.

Hi @Juan_Carlos_Rivera — Can you share a screenshot of what you’re seeing at Settings > Audio?

Hi @dylan I’m running MacOS High Sierra. I took these screenshots with my MacBook powered on and running Roon while I was controlling it with my iPad. Also, the pops are gone!!! I’ve been playing with the tube in the saga preamp and seems like that made the difference. It’s completely free of static noise. I hope that was the real solution and not a glitch that only happens on certain occasions.

Hi @Juan_Carlos_Rivera,

I’m glad to hear that things are working for you now. If you see this issue return please let us know!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.