Roon popup error - A new guard page for the stack cannot be created

Roon Core Machine

Dell 7040 SFF, Window 10, i7-6700, 16GB.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

1GB Ethernet, no VPN.

Connected Audio Devices

Ethernet connection only to Roon Core

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Since the last Roon Server update overnight the following error popup occurs. Machine has been running flawlessly for ~2 years prior. Clicking Ok restarts Roon Server process and it works as normal. Music will play continuously all day but each night this error occurs. This has not occurred in the past, nor has the number of track changed in significantly in many months.

‘A new guard page for the stack cannot be created’

Memory usage is stable ~32-43%. Roon Server uses ~3.2-3.5GB RAM. Machine is dedicated to Roon Server.

Windows .Net update occurred the same day as the Roon update though I backed out to a known good restore point and the Roon error persists.

Roon DB backups run and complete without issue both overnight and early AM and don’t appear to be the cause of the error.

Please advise.

@Larry_Post, this error message indicates a lack of RAM, possibly due to a memory leak with an application. This does not necessarily mean Roon has a memory leak, but possibly another application or combination of events.

Your library is fairly large at >100K tracks. Are you running any other applications (even a third-party firewall or AV) on your Core? Is it possible to add addtional RAM to it to see if this addresses the error message?

I am not running any other applications. I’ve explicitly disabled many unnecessary Windows services 2 years ago.

Why do you think it’s running out of RAM with less than 50% utilization? And why would it occur when Roon is least active? It only occurs overnight when music is not playing. There is also a system managed swap files if RAM becomes desperately low.

This ‘server’ has been unchanged for a good long time and this problem only expressed itself with the most recent update to Roon Server. This machine does nothing other than host Roon Server.

The 4 existing RAM slots are all populated thus I don’t have a way to test adding more other than fully replacing with larger sticks (which I don’t have for this machine).

This is often .NET related:

IIRC, Roon for Windows currently changed requirements – now .NET 6 is required. Make sure you have it installed and up-to-date.

1 Like

Thanks, this is helpful. I don’t have .net 6 installed. Seems the Roon Server installer should include it as a dependency or at minimum alert the user to install it first.

No change installing .net 6. Plays fine all day and evening long, backups run at 11:30pm and complete. Sometime after that before 6am Roon throws the error. I’m going to set the machine to shutdown after backup and startup at 6am and see if this simply avoids whatever is causing the error in the night.

You can also work your way through the main thread linked below:

Thanks, I had searched and read through those lengthy posts prior to submitting my own ticket. I don’t interactively use the console of my Roon Server, nor do I suffer any issues with resuming as it isn’t allowed to go to sleep.

I’ve yet to find evidence of the popup message in the Roon logs. I was hoping support could tell me where/what to look for…the system is not starving for RAM and I suspect Roon doesn’t know the cause of the error in their code.

Well, first time I’ve experienced the error during the day. Any other ideas to troubleshoot @support? Memory remains at 42% utilization.

No change in the stack guard error overnight other than to shutdown after nightly backup and BIOS turn on in the morning. Plays music fine continuously and/or some periods of idle time, all day. Error only manifests overnight save one occurrence last week during the day late in the afternoon.

Web searches show this is a software problem as many developers battle this Windows-only issue. Yes, it’s related to memory but not the shear availability of physical RAM, rather a memory resource (stack) is being exhausted or not declared large enough at instantiation (aka when Roon starts).

My scheduled shutdown after night time backup and BIOS power on in the morning has completely obscured the error and thus the disruption.

Perhaps it’s been there in the past but I only recently left my Core on 7/24 for ARC which I use once in a while.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.