Roon Radio repeats songs multiple times [Roon Investigating]

I had this problem (the same exact series of songs would cycle on Roon Radio every few hours). I “solved” the problem by unlinking my Tidal account. When limited to my library, the same songs do not repeat (though a lot of repeat albums).

Hope this adds some color, Roon Radio is the biggest miss in the overall Roon experience.

2 Likes

@lostinsummer, this has been an annoying occurrence to me for a long while, and it still goes on till this day, and your observation of the problem linking to Tidal appears familiar. One time I used Tidal player on my phone outside Roon and played S&G, and the song “The Sound of Silence” was repeated every few songs in one listening session. I will try to do what you did.

It is a big miss, for sure, particularly for users who rely almost exclusively on Tidal streaming rather than locally stored media.

I only use Qobuz, no Tidal and I have similar experiences with way too many repeats.

Still not solved… it is becoming annoying, oh and I have both Qobuz and Tidal subscriptions… Audirvana is way better in that.

2 Likes

So has been my experience with Roon Radio. Even the song that I marked “I don’t like this track” keeps appearing over and over again in the same order. (That track was not a bad one to begin with, but I am just overdosed by a bit of too much of a good thing.)

2 Likes

Radio likes to play different versions of the same song.

So I played New Order’s Be a Rebel and then let radio kick in. Within the next 3 songs it played another version of Be a Rebel that I have and two different versions I have of Bizarre Love Triangle.

What on earth is the algorithm doing?

I only have Tidal and it is really annoying some songs keep repeating. I came from LMS and the non-stop music feature never repeats any songs and imagine that it is a free software. This is not acceptable as Roon is a commercial software and is inferior to the free software! Unbelievable that Roon is not solving this issue. I am really dissapointed!!

3 Likes

Here also, Roon Radio plays Agnes Obels ‘The Curse’ about 18 times the last few days …

@mike , @noris , any update on the status of this fix? Even my four year old is telling me “we already heard this song!” Thank you.

6 Likes

Every streaming service seems to have a better autoplay function than Roon Radio. If Roon Radio doesn’t improve, it would be great to have the option to let Tidal or Qobuz determine the autoplay selections within Roon.

I don’t know if that’s possible but that would be a huge improvement over Roon’s algorithm. I find myself switching over to the Tidal or Qobuz apps to get some autoplay variety, but I lose the multiroom and other features of Roon. Can we get some updates on this please?

7 Likes

I don’t have a timeline to share but I can tell you we are definitely aware of the issue and working on a fix.

4 Likes

Looking forward to “the fix” :grinning:
A closer integration to streaming service (Tidal) would be good especially if blocked artists and tracks are condisered and it is possible to update this back to Tidal/Roon.

1 Like

Whilst you are about it, I sincerely hope you will fix the guaranteed song that will play after a given seed, Every Single Time, and without fail.

3 Likes

It really seems like there’s an overly simplistic mechanism governing this, which relies heavily on coarse metadata tagging, and fails in its identification of a played track (or being able to distinguish two versions of the same track (e.g. 16/24 bit - 48k/96/higher/Cloud versions of a song), because if I just heard it, I certainly don’t want to hear it again if we’re running on autopilot. If I want to do a critical A/B test - that’s either hands on, or in someone else’s hands entirely. So Roon - if you’re listening - you’ve got a fair number of technical followers who might be of help at an alpha stage of testing. We (speaking for many, certainly not all) are on your side!

1 Like

Thanks for the update!

I used to love roon radio but lately it’s gone a bit doolally :crazy_face:

After listening to a symphonic metal album it went right into dance, some pop, indie, then some metal and back to unrelated genres.

It also appears to play mostly artists and tracks I have in my library and I’ve not limited it to my library.

Roon is crap. The good news is that I’d previously talked several friends into subscribing to Roon. I’m now actively talking my small circle into avoiding Roon or not renewing.

This is so simple a thing to fix or at least workaround. The continued lack of a fix is more than annoying.

I’ll continue to not recommend Roon.

2 Likes

Roon radio has been busted since day one so it was obviously a marketing trick with no actual fix because Roon has been ‘investigating’ for three years to my knowledge.

I hear there is an ai plug in now that is actually ai so I will be checking that out when I am back home

4 Likes

Where is this AI plugin and how do I add it?

1 Like