Roon Radio repeats songs multiple times [Roon Investigating]

I think you need some extra hardware for the AI plugin?

Good to hear. Any place we can shoot feedback? I don’t see such a thread in my search.

You can read all about it here including some feedback and experience of early adopters.

1 Like

Roon Core Machine

PrimeMini4 Core-i7 8650U 8GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Silent Angel N8 (x2)

Connected Audio Devices

iFi Stream → USB → Ideon 3R → USB → Lyngdorf MP-40

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

If I play an album, Roon radio will play the exact same songs in the same order after the album is finished.

Relatedly, if I transfer a track to another endpoint, and then later continue playing on the first endpoint, the exact same songs will be played on the first endpoint that I already heard on the second endpoint.

It even happens with brand new albums. I copied a new album to the library and listened to it on one endpoint. Later, I listened to the same album on a different endpoint. Again, Roon Radio selected the exact same songs in the exact same order to follow the playback of that new album.

The queue is not on repeat (I checked). The album finishes, Roon radio selects a new track from a different artist, but it is the same tracks from the same artists in the same order every time.

It seem there is no randomness left anymore in Roon radio. I can remember that it was not like this in the beginning of my use of Roon radio.

1 Like

I just checked: To start the “chain”, it is sufficient if I just play the last title of an album. It seems that the follow-up tracks are all hard-linked.

Somebody suggested to reboot the Roon core. I did that, but it did not solve the problem.

Do we really need two parallel threads about this?

I wanted to post it as a support ticket, but I accidentally posted it as a software discussion. The other thread can be closed.

I see. FYI, you probably have an edit icon (the pen) next to the title where you can change the category of a post.

If you are rarely active on the forum, you might not have it. In this case another way is to flag your own thread and ask the moderators to move it. Or at least post a link to the old thread in the new one. Otherwise discussion is going to start in both places :slight_smile:

I tried to close the old thread, but it was not possible. So I wrote a note to please move the discussion over to this thread and added a link.

Roon Radio has always cued off the last song played. So, in your example, both Roon Radio sessions are using the same song as the basis. Also, do you have a streaming service or just local files?

Either way, try going to a different album in a different genre, highlight a song in that album and start Roon Radio based on that song. Is the Roon Radio playlist different?

The playlist is different if I use a different starting track.

But for each track, there seems to be a hardwired follow-up playlist that never changes (except when I add new albums, then new songs may become added to that playlist).

I only play local files. I always did.

But I can remember that Roon radio did not always work like this. Formerly, it selected different songs from a pool of similar songs. The order in which those songs were played changed each time.

I think it started working differently shortly before ARC was introduced.

If I play Dawn FM from the Weeknd, after the album finishes playing, I get the followin queue every time. This is just the first entries, but the songs that are played after that are also always the same.

It does not matter which endpoint I use, it will be the same queue every time.

1 Like

“Roon Radio is an intelligent radio feature that creates a personalized radio station based on the music currently being played. When an album or track ends, Roon Radio automatically analyzes the music and generates a playlist of similar tracks, drawing from your library and streaming services like Tidal, Qobuz and KKBOX.”

It is not doing that anymore. It is not generating a playlist of similar tracks when an album or track ends. It is always the exact same playlist. There is no generating procedure involved anymore.

1 Like

Most likely, this is the reason.

What if I don’t have TIDAL or Qobuz?

If you don’t have a streaming service-connected in Roon you can still use Roon Radio. In this case, Roon Radio will be limited to your local library and does not take advantage of our machine learning technology. We recommend using TIDAL or Qobuz for the best Roon Radio experience.

Try seeding with a different track.

The Roon Radio web page says “it learns more about what you like and helps you discover new music by curating great recommendations.” I don’t see how this should work when I always receive an identical queue.

Also, why did it work differently in the beginning?

Just saying it works as intended gives me the impression that it is broken beyond repair, but nobody wants to admit it.

1 Like

It also says that it doesn’t use machine learning with only local files

But why did it work before, but does not work now?

There’s no machine learning–Valance–because you don’t use a streaming service. In other words, it’s just an algorithm, and that’s going to do they same thing every time if you seed with the same track.

1 Like

I use Roon radio since 2020. Since the pandemic started, I use Roon between 8 and 14 hours a day. I swear that it did not work like this in the beginning. The algorithm always gave me different queues. The old algorithm was based on the “Swim” mode from Meridian Audio, and that feature also worked with local files only.

Roon radio may have changed its algorithm when Roon integrated the streaming services. But then this is a downgrade for people who use local files only.