Roon Radio with Qobuz not as good as with TIDAL

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

I checked with the team regarding your case and a question that they had was if this issue is limited to your Roon profile or if it occurs on other Roon profiles using this same Core. Can you please try to create a new Roon profile and verify if the issue reproduces there as well? Thank you!

Hi @noris I don’t have any other profiles in Roon. Just my own.

And again it’s regurgitating the same 3 artists again and again. God this is getting tiresome.

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

Can you please verify if this issue only impacts your current Roon profile or if it impacts a new Roon profile as well? QA has inquired here the issue impacts multiple profiles, please let me know when you have a chance, thanks!

mistyped sorry

Like @ged_hickman1 I’ve had the impression that the amount of new albums + artists delivered by Roon Radio + Qobuz depends on the seed.

Today seems pretty bad, though – there surely shouldn’t be this much repetition no matter what the seed, should there? (And note that the Now Playing is once again a repeat):

Ok created a new profile and will see.

1 Like

There is no way it should repeat so much under any circumstances. Yes the seed counts but the same seed under Tidal would consistently provide better results. I checked the play history and i could find pretty much the same songs in Qobuz that Tidal would pick, but when you just have Qobuz it just doesn’t pick them at all from the same seed.

@noris, behaviour continues on different profile. Now here I have a point of reference that might be relevant. I was listening to radio last night and it seemed to be working ok from the seed. I paused playback and turned off the endpoint. This morning turned it on and continued playback from where I paused last night and now it’s repeating again. I think this may also happen more when switching playback from one zone to another.

The track that it was paused on was The National - Pay for Me.

1 Like

Similar pattern emerging again after shifting what’s playing to another zone. It’s started to repeat more and more. @noris I think QA need to look into this side as its seems more evident of repeats if playback is shifter to another zone or its stopped and powered down then resumed at a later stage.

1 Like

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

Thanks for looking into this further and for testing the new profile.

This is an interesting observation, I’ve noted it in the case notes for further review!

I don’t see any logs from your ROCK coming in for this attempt, can you please reboot your ROCK server or send me a manual log set by using these instructions? Thanks!

Same over here.

Starting from:
RoonShareImage-637473370428726180

And then getting the same albums all over again.

@support, what can I do to supply you with more info?

Shuffling a bookmark does the same thing…

Ok here is another example of Radio not even starting even though it’s enabled. Had this happen on all my end points at least once since moving to purely Qobuz.

@noris sorry did not see you post for logs. Will upload some now.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgHQUEVFVR_n2ex_NiLh9Hy6CLrKNA?e=22ghqS

I have also seen this issue with Roon Radio on Qobuz. It happens reasonably frequently; the playback stops with ‘Nothing Playing’ shown despite Radio being enabled.

1 Like

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to note that we’ve discussed this issue, along with next steps, with our QA team in a recent meeting. I don’t have any specific timelines I can provide, but this is under active investigation by the team. We’ll be sure to follow up when we have more information to share about this. We appreciate the detailed reports and the patience as we continue looking into this!

1 Like

Thank for the update Dylan.

Can we discuss Roon Radio? Again?

I use it with Qobuz because Qobuz doesn’t have this feature. But after a few tracks, it locks in on four or five albums/artists. A couple of days ago I skipped through a dozen or so repeat/album artists trying to get it unstuck. Finally a new track came up, but after that it got stuck again and I gave up. It doesn’t matter what genre or artist you start with, popular or obscure.

And how many times do I have to give Miles Davis a thumbs down and “I do not like this” before it stops playing Miles Davis?

Today I put on Tidal track (or artist? don’t remember) radio from my phone to Chromecast. It has been playing for over six hours. Every track is exactly appropriate for the seed. I haven’t hit skip once. There have only been a few repeat album/artist combos, but they are spread out and no repeat tracks. And the selected tracks are pretty great, and the variety and quality of picks are
amazing I’ve also discovered some new to me stuff, and added several albums to my library.

I wish Roon Radio worked this well. It was one of the many reasons I subscribed. Unfortunately, it’s no longer really usable.

Is there any hope for improvement? Does anyone at roon actually use it? Haven’t they noticed it getting stuck in a rut? Or do they like for it to work that way? Is this the way it’s designed to work?

3 Likes

I’d happily go an hour to thumbs down musicians I want to hide if that makes roon radio suggestions better.

1 Like

So here’s something else. I turned Qobuz off and turned Tidal back on. Radio with Tidal seems to play more variety and fewer repeat artists and no repeat artists/albums that I’ve noticed, and it doesn’t get “stuck.”

Why is this, I wonder?

(Have not done direct comparison using same artist or album or genre as the starting point on both services.)