Roon Radio with Qobuz not as good as with TIDAL

@dyan @noris. Radio being rubbish again today seeding same band album it’s only 5 songs in to. 15.53 GMT if you need a timestamp.

1 Like

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

Thanks for the exact timestamp, this should help in narrowing down the issue.
A new log set has been delivered from your Core and your case is pending review by QA!

So, just using Qobuz, I started with the same song and got the following

Group___Album___Song
Mercury Rev___Yerself Is Stream___Chasing a Bee
Sonic Youth___Washing machine___untitled
Spiritualized___Sweet Heart/Sweet Light___Too Late
Sonic Youth___A thousand Leaves___Wild Flower Soul
Sonic Youth___A thousand Leaves___Hits of sunshine
Spiritualized___Sweet Heart/Sweet Light___Life is a Problem
Ride ___Smile___Silver
Sonic Youth___Washing machine___Becuz
Flying Saucer Attack___Distance___Novemeber Mist
Butthole Surfers___Locust Abortion Tech___Graveyard

So, in the first 10 plays

4 sonic youth songs from 2 albums
2 Spiritualized songs from 1 album
and then 4 tracks from unique band/albums

Not sure I would ever have butthole surfers in the same playlist as Sonic Youth and Spiritualized or tbh either of those together. It does have a mind of its own on Qobuz and it’s a bit need of medical attention.

Group___ Album ___ Song
Mercury Rev___Yerself Is Stream___Chasing a Bee
Mercury Rev___The Delta Sweetie Revisited___Morning Glor
Blur___13___Bugman
dinosaur Jr.___bug___Budge
My Bloody Valentine___Isn’t Anything___Soft as snow
Yo La Tengo___Sleepless Nights___Wasn’t Born to Follow
The Boo Radles___Giant Steps___Barney and me
Low___Double Negative___Fly
Spaceman3___Recurring___Why Couldn’t I see
Pulp___This is hardware___the Fear
The Flaming Lips___American Head___Dinosaurs on the Mountain

So the above was same starting song. Tidal active Qobuz not. Aside from the choosing a song from same band as the initiating song (which I think is a pre-existing bug). You have 10 different tracks from unique band/albums.

Thanks for this Rugby. Its not just me thankfully. Something wrong with Qobuz and Radio for sure as all those are available in Qobuz. Maybe radio is based on the provider to, so less users for this type of music. Others have mentioned many times that radio seeds too.many similar artists and albums so maybe these have Qobuz to.

maybe I should give it a go with both enabled and see what happens.

It will vary it a bit more but I always found more of a bias to Tidal for this style of music over all.

suggestion: shuffle songs in your local library…

Not really a solution I won’t discover anything new that way and defeats the point of Radio radio and and having Qobuz.

I only have Qobuz together with a local library and I’m suffering also from limited choices offered but mainly from ‘playing’ from the artist pages.

See https://community.roonlabs.com/t/another-example-of-unsatisfying-roon-radio-when-playing-an-artist/119146
and https://community.roonlabs.com/t/artist-playing-including-appearances/116386

Thanks for this. The evidence is growing.

My impression is also that tech support doesn’t take this seriously enough.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. It might be difficult to reproduce. I’ve also (twice) used the same seed as @CrystalGipsy and both times got very different results (including last night). I only use Qobuz.
His logs may or may not be helpful. But it’s probably hard to fix a problem like this if it is hard to replicate.

My experience is that it depends on the seed you start with. I have lots of great experiences with radio and Qobuz.
I think one of the contributors to the experience is that Tidal was in first and has a greater world wide presence so I think the “what’s next” algorithm is weighted toward Tidal due to volume.
As I understand it the algorithm looks at paths and says sort of “people who played this track then chose this track next” I think that the equivalence mechanism where the algorithm says “this track from Tidal should be next” isn’t doing a full job when looking at a local library or Qobuz version.

It’s interesting to read the responses here. I made an entire thread about how Roon Radio constantly repeats the same artists and albums (and I have both Qobuz and Tidal). But now we seem to have official Roon confirmation that this is NOT supposed to happen? I’ve never seen it any other way, which is why I’m a bit sour on Roon Radio (I’m really hoping the 1.8 upgrade fixes some of the problems and limitations with it). See this link, where I included a color-coded spreadsheet to chart the frequency of repeats:

Hey @dylan and all on this thread. I have a data point to add here, which highlights some slightly strange behaviour with Roon Radio and Qobuz (only)

I was playing with Radio and it was bringing up multiple tracks by the same artists over and over as described above many times! I got Leftfield and Underworld about 3 times each…

So I was thumbing them down and just adding the ones that were a variation. Here is a screen grab of what I ended up with in my queue;

As you can see there is one entry that was skipped, Propellerheads and Shirley Bassey.

That track is from Qobuz, but doesnt actually exist in Qobuz! If I click I get this;

Which explains why it was skipped by Roon.

However the album does actually exist in Qobuz and I have that album as a local FLAC files in my library too;

So why did Roon pick a track that exists in both my local files and on Qobuz but manage to find an instance that could not be played?? I have my Roon logs from the time of the issue if anyone in @support is interested.

Perhap a different version/release of the track?

Yeah it must be, there are remix and remastered versions in Qobuz. But it seems odd it could pick an unplayable/unavailable track given all the available options both locally and in Qobuz.

It does seem daft logic.