Roon ramdomly stops playing when using shuffle

left Roon playing on shuffle when i went to work.

got home and it had played 40 tracks.

again the 41st track had stopped at 0:00 on the bottom bar but in the Queue the track said “now playing” and EQ bars were moving to the left of it as if music was playing.

I know this is all a pain in the ass. I love the software and just wish this was not happening.

It is hard for me to pay $$$ for something that does not work on a basic level…reliably at least.

my hope is we can find a solution but I’m not hopeful.

i have over 127,000 tracks do you think that is too much for Roon to shuffle?

also does no one really shuffle this large of a library and perhaps this problem has not yet been discovered?

oh well

Hey @thomas_clark1@noris asked me to look at this thread so I just had a look over this discussion. Thanks for your patience on this so far! Hopefully we can get this stable for you soon.

So, a couple things jump out at me here. The first is that the TS-453BT3 is a bit shy of our recommendations for running a Roon Core.

How big is your library? I suspect with an SSD and s decent amount of memory, you should be good with smaller collections, maybe up to 100k tracks. I believe that NAS has a Celeron processor and you can see some of the same symptoms you’re describing (dropouts) described in our Knowledge Base.

So that’s one thing to consider – you might try running Roon on a laptop or desktop PC during your trial to see how things work with a sufficiently powerful Core.

The other thing I’d point out I think Noris noticed as well, which is that the A9 is plugged into a wireless extender, which is a configuration we often see issues with.

As he mentioned, the easiest way to test this theory is to connect the A9 to your router using ethernet, and let it play overnight. Even better, run this test playing to Roon on a laptop – if that works, we’ll have narrowed things down considerably.

Hope that helps @thomas_clark1 – looking forward to getting this stable for you soon.

Thank u for all the info.
I will attempt to act on your suggestions but it presents a challenge to do so given current locstion of router and A9.

I find it ironic that i got turned on to Roon because it came preloaded on a NAS that msy not he powerful enough to run it.

Funny stuff

Oh yeah i currently have about 130 000 16bit and 24 bit flac files

Ok
Wifi extender removed.

Nas and A9 now connected to main router.

Shuffling now with fingers crossed

Will keep u posted

Thx 4 your help

1 Like

Hi Thomas good to see you are sticking with it. :slightly_smiling_face:

ok so after changing a few things i shuffled my files again.

after 6 songs…same old thing…changed to the 7th track and then stops playing

thx

Thomas I think it is the NAS that is a Huge library for that box.

Thx-
you could be right.

I’m trying to shuffle a 800 track playlist to see if that changes anything

you think just too many tracks?

I think your library is too big for your NAS to cope. If you can copy or move some folders to a seperate top level folder. Unmount the folders you have currently and point at the reduced set and try again.
Also, were you trying to shuffle your entire library?

oh got it.

yes was trying to shuffle entire library

i will try your suggestion

Just don’t shuffle the entire library. Do a sub section or use roon radio!

yes thx…ill try that now

i would think a “subsection” would include a playlist with tracks from entire library?

Hey @thomas_clark1 – to properly test a smaller library, you’ll want to try with a new database.

Just stop the Roon process, find your database, and rename it to roon_main or something. When you relaunch Roon, you’ll sign in and can try again.

Again, we recommend a bit more power for running Roon, so you might want to start by testing with the Core on your laptop, but feel free to see how it goes with a smaller number of tracks added to a fresh database.

And also, keep in mind that the playback stoppages might not be related to the Core at all, so you’ll definitely want to try playing to another zone, like Roon running on a laptop.

Thanks!

i have chosen a much smaller library (1600 tracks) and after 15 hours all has been smooth.

will wait until tomorrow morning and if all still fine i think it likely my NAS cannot handle shuffling that amount of tracks.

if this turns out to be true would the purchase of a Roon Nucleus help this issue with the NAS?

also for me with around 130,00o tracks (and more in future) could i get away with a nucleus or would you advise a nucleus +

thank you!

The recommendation is for Nucleus + on that size.
Now we are getting nearer a resolution can I be curious and ask why you want to shuffle that many tracks?

An alternative to a Nucleus is to put together a NUC with ROCK on it, that would save a lot of money
Cheers
Ged

funny—I listen to Live Dead and Phish exclusively.

I have a lot of their music.

Just cool to put it on shuffle and hear a dead track from 1969…then modern day phish…etc etc.

allows me to stumble across hidden gems from time to time or even weed out terrible sounding bootlegs.

if i didn’t have it on shuffle given the amount i have i may never find those gems or the crappy recordings.

When finding live music i grab it if i don’t have it. not always the time to listen ahead of time.

Do you think a Nucleus + would resolve some of this?

Im pretty into music and creating the optimal sound quality… Do you feel for a guy like me a nucleus + would be a nice addition to my listening experience?

I guess when spending over $2000 the consumer would like to think he/she would appreciate some benefit.

begging to check out the NUC/ROCK option vs. buying a nucleus +.

Im certain you don’t exist to entertain these inquiries but if I went the NUC route do i miss out on anything the Roon + brings? is setting up a NUC with ROCK an equivalent experience?

thx