Roon randomly adding genres

Is any body else having the problem that Roon won’t allow you to choose genres?

For example, this is what I see when I open Pink Floyd’s artist page. I don’t remember if I’ve tweaked this one before or if I’m seeing as it was before any edits.

I try to remove a couple of the genres assigned to Pink Floyd that I don’t like: Pop/Rock, mixed media and pyschedelic/garage. All I do is click edit, scroll down to genres and unmark those. This is what I get:

For some reason, now “Album rock” has been added with no apparent reason.

As I try to mark and unmark, genres keep disappearing or showing up.

Thanks for sharing your report, @Manu!

In the Artist Editor we have two separate sections under Genres. The top section, next to the Roon logo, you can see all of the genres that Roon has automatically applied to the artist. Below that, next to the pencil icon, are any genres that have been manually added. See screenshot below for an example:

For Pink Floyd, Roon has automatically applied the following without any edits:

If you click on one of these genre tags the check mark will disappear and that genre should no longer be applied.

Is “Album Rock” checked in the Artist Editor? If you make changes here and click Save are all of the changes applied correctly? Are you experiencing this with any other artists?

Thank you,
Dylan

Hello @Dylan. Thank you for your reply.

I understand how genres work, at least as far as your explanation goes. But something weird happens at times where unmarking a genre will add other genres for some reason. I’ve seen this a lot with “Pop/Rock” and “Album rock”.

To show continue with my previous example, these are the genres that show in my Pink Floyd’s artist page:

I unmark “Album rock” and save. This is what I get:

The expected happens: album rock is no longer there.
But unexpected things happen too: “Mixed media” and “Pop/rock” are now showing up

Let me underline that I did not add “mixed media” and “pop/rock”. I merely unchecked “Album rock”

EDIT: To answer the questions at the end of your post. I am applying changes as you explain, but when I unmark specific genres, aside from those being removed, others are added. And yes, I am experiencing this with many other artists. If it helps, I included an example with the Beatles on this thread.

Hey @Manu,

Thanks for the additional information here — I have passed your report over to our technical team for further review. I’ll be sure to update here when I’ve heard back from them.

Regards,
Dylan

Thank you @Dylan!

Here’s another example I just found.

These are the genres I saw for Tom Waits by default.

I only wanted to have one of those (experimental rock), so I unmarked the rest. Plus, I added “Rock” and “Blues-rock”.

For some reason, “Album rock” was automatically added without me ever introducing it.

So I went back to edit the artist page and simply unmarked “Album rock”.

Instead of removing that genre and sticking with the other three, it added all those that I had already removed.

Hey @manu,

I wanted to touch base with some good news, we were able to reproduce this behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and we will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved. Thanks again for the report!

-Dylan

I understand. That’s good news. Thank you!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Issue with my “genres” despite adjusting the library settings