Roon randomly stops playing, MacOS app(s) hogging power... not a great experience at all

Roon Core Machine

Core is running on a Mac mini (i7, 16 HB, 500GB SSD, mid 2011). This machine is hardwired to the network over Cat5/6.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Orange Internet (Belgium). Standard Service. Using a separate TPLink Router for house-wifi. Works flawlessly.

Connected Audio Devices

BlueSound Node2i. Firmware updated to last available version.

Number of Tracks in Library

Not many… maybe 100 (if at all). I just stream Tidal via Roon.

Description of Issue

It was a disaster trying to run the Node 2i in wireless mode. Bought a new Wifi-Router (TPLink, a good model, 2022 model), which didn’t help at al. Even on a separate Wifi-network just for the Node… it kept glitching (audio).

So… now all hooked up via Ethernet Cables. No more audio glitches. But Roon Core stops working almost every week… seems a bit more stable now there is literally nothing else running on that Mac Mini. Client is mostly my iPad… audio stops randomly… happens multiple times a day, regardless of what I’m playing or where in the living room I am. I just stops. Usually pressing “Play” solves the problem… sometimes Roon is just stuck on pause for some reason. Restarting the app usually does the trick…

But come one people, this is bad! I a paying for this service… just to provide a means of playing music. Tidal provides the streaming, which always works perfectly. Honestly… my old Apple Music or Spotify Setup was more reliable… I just can’t believe what I am witnessing.

I like Roon for its ease… and the nice playlists and recommendations. But if it is THIS glitchy… I don’t really know what I am paying for, or whether I should at all…

PS: I almost forgot

Running the Roon app on my main Mac (i7/64Gb) or Laptop (Top Config MacBook Pro, 3 years old) is ehm… challenging. Occasionally goes up to 200% CPU and runs my machines hot as anything. Killing the app solves it for a time… but after a while… it’s burning up again. Strange issue… that I would really love to see resolved.

best regards,

EJ / Lanaken / Belgium

Hello!

I use Roon for last month on my Mac Mini 2012 and it’s OK. But it’s only a few hours after my work.
small question - which Roon is installed on your mac - Roon (Roon Core with UI) or only Roon Core?

And what about processes - you should be able to check if it’s Roon issue for sure. I mean high CPU usage…

But I’m sure here are Roon experts who know sth more - maybe logs with events etc…
I’m curious to be honest - maybe I use it too short to have such problems. And true - for such price application should be more stable - for sure ios controller :slight_smile:

This is probably the same durn problem I’m seeing. It started in the fall of 2019. But my system never plays for more than a few hours without stopping. Pressing “Play” again will re-start it, but it shouldn’t stop in the first place.

Hey @Ernst_Jan_Holscher,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your question. You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response and for your wait. We’ve made some recent changes to the support team structure and some reports have experienced a longer response time than usual.

Since some time has passed I wanted to touch base to get your current status. If you’re still experiencing this problem on the newest Roon build (970) and need assistance please let us know.

We’ll be watching for your reply and get back in touch as quickly as we can. Thanks! :+1:

The problem persists. The random stopping, the cpu problems, server dropping out… everything.

Hey @Ernst_Jan_Holscher,

Thanks for following up. Which OS are you currently running on your main Mac, that is experiencing high CPU?

Something to test: next time you see the CPU running high, can you try toggling your wifi on and off a few times, waiting for 30 seconds or so between each toggle? Let me know if your CPU remains in the same state after doing this.

In the meantime, let’s verify if the behavior is the same when using a fresh database (in case the database is a factor here.) To perform this test, the following instructions can be used:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs

And to address your audio dropouts:

• These sudden stops in playback, you experience this behavior with all of your various endpoints correct? By chance, have you tried reproducing this issue with a device mounted directly to the MacMini hosting your core?

• Does this dropout happen when playing local files, or is it only when streaming from Tidal?

Does

Thanks, EJ!

A post was split to a new topic: Playback stops Macbook Air