Roon Ready Certification for WiiM

A suggestion for those who have a WiiM streamer.

Stick a good 5V power supply into it for a worthwhile boost in SQ. Yes I know we have people who dont believe in such things. No need to open that debate again. Those who are open to the idea might want to try it though. I got good results with an iFi iPower and Allo’s Shanti. Applicable to both the Pro and the Mini (which sound the same, I’ve got and have reviewed both).

The app is very nice by the way. From Linkplay, Wiim’s parent company, who OEM it to other mfrs. I’m reviewing a few active speakers at the moment, one of which is the Triangle AIO Twin. It uses Linkplay - the same UI as the WiiMs.

Hi @Phil_Wright

Yes, power supplies are on my mind.

1. need to tidy up my current head-fi setup
  2. need 2 good quality, 5 volt power supplies for my WiiM Pro and DAC
  3. and careful thought to a 12 volt supply with a small barrel plug for my MF LX2-HPA amp.

And thanks for the share of info ref Linkplay. The app is good compared to many others.

If you look into it and find some good quality 5v power supply for this kind of audio gadgets, please share the info!

1 Like

Hi @fedocable

5volt are plentiful, such as iFi ones. Not tested any though. Also available on Amazon UK & USA I believe.

1 Like

Topping P50 (two 5v USB A outlets, one 15v) is powering a DAC and a WiiM Pro here. Maybe placebo, but I can hear the difference.

1 Like

May 31 now and still waiting. :yawning_face: Good that it is so versatile with other non-Roon streaming functions.

In January when I purchased Wiim Pro (for price), status of ROON Ready was “by end of Quarter 1 (3/30), 30 days and it is end of Quarter 2. Using 2 Wim Pros as endpoints with Apple play, works but not great. At least BlueSound NODE is ROON Ready. Come on Man (Wiim)

After the Hegel debacle with overpromising Roon Ready dates, I’ve learned to take manufacturers’ claims with a big grain of salt.

Fortunately, the WiiM Pro works great in Chromecast mode.

2 Likes

Also means you can get up to WiiM’s limit of 24bit/192kHz to the Pro if the source has it.

I am purely streaming Qobuz to my Wiim

If I want living room Wiim + Kitchen HomePod Minis - just use Qobuz in Airplay to play to both

I would only be using Roon for its cool layout, search and iPhone app…

But I would have to tie up an old laptop to make a Roon core

Wiin’s app is tolerable

Don’t really know if I really NEED Roon now…

1 Like

No one really needs Roon, it’s a want not a need.

2 Likes

The NAD CS1 is also Roon Ready (and works well - I’m reviewing one). Dearer than the WiiMs, but very nice (good on analogue and digital outputs)

2 Likes

True, but Hegel did a really great job with the Roon implementation.

Anyone want to buy 2 Wiim Pro’s, NAD looks great

The Hegel Roon support is solid now and enjoying it muchly!

1 Like

I’ve just got a WiiM Pro, powered by Uptone JS-2 lps. Very pleased with the sound quality not overly impressed with the app! Having trouble working out how to clear the queue and only playing a single track from an album, it seems to instantly load the entire album. I’m sure it must be me, but would be great to get full roon integration as opposed to being limited to using airplay.

Yes. Just to be clear, my comment was about how long the certification process took. I’m not sure it was years, but it felt like it.

Have you tried Chromecast? That opens up the use of higher resolution files.

1 Like

Sure I understand. I imagine that there are many devices trying to get Roon certified and that many of them may need to be tested iteratively to work out any problems that might come up. It’s probably a bit of a nightmare for all involved. Myself, I’d rather have that support work solidly than to get it more quickly and then be frustrated by having trouble using it reliably.

I’m on an Apple ecosystem, but I activated Chromecast on WiiM, my Core (on an M2 mini) talks 24/96 to it, no matter of the original res. Sounds good, keeping it like that till WiiM Pro becomes RR.

1 Like