Roon Ready Certification

If the Roon guys have learned one thing this morning, it is that we actually read what they put out, especially when it is accidentally misleading,

1 Like

They won’t name and shame because if they published the names of the vendors most of them would point the finger right back at Roon. We know why Roon is evasive when it comes to the vendors.

Perhaps some manufacturers could also read the terms of the SDK licensing agreement then, and stick to the terms as well?

3 Likes

This entire issue is confusing to me. I immediately enabled everything that was showing up by clicking Roon - Settings - Audio. Does anybody see anything on this list that I will lose if I disable in the future for some unknown reason. Thanks.

Dell XPS 15 laptop
Oppo 203
Apple TV 4K
Bose Soundtouch 300
Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier
AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt
Raspberry Pi4 running RoPieeeXL
iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPad Mini 4

I use a combination of HDMI, USB, ethernet, WIFI, and Airplay.

Is there anything here I should be concerned about? Thanks.

1 Like

My Chord 2go is lovely when it works, but…

If I power it down (it’s battery-powered!) it disappears from the list of zones of course, but sometimes it needs to be Enabled again when I turn it back on, which is a hassle (four mouse clicks — the horror!).
This is of course bad for me under this new policy, I won’t be able to Enable it again if this happens, so I can no longer reliably turn it off.
But this does illustrate that it doesn’t meet the quality expectations of a Roon Ready device.

I bet you believe the earth is flat too…?

1 Like

If Roon doesn’t mark anything like this, you’re ok:

I agree that there is confusion because your definition of Roon Tested is not really correct. Roon Tested can be applied to a wide variety of products, some connected USB, some wirelessly, and some combination devices including DAC’s, streamers, all-in-one speaker systems, etc. Visit Roon’s Partner Page for a details.

All in all, this points to a need to revamp the certification process and labels/terminology. If the program is intended to benefit users and ensure reliability and compatibility or devices with Roon, then it’s missing the mark now, IMHO.

Your choice.
But hard to avoid.
Microsoft has similar policies.
So do car manufacturers. I have a friend who tunes his BMW by installing non-certified engine management software, voids the warranty.

1 Like

Its Roon Ready devices not DACs or bridges,

No you wont loose anything. Its just Roon Ready devices , streamers, amps etc. Not DACs, not Roon Bridge. Its really not hard to understand.

Or maybe just that we have nothing better to do. :rofl:

2 Likes

It is because was badly written amd didn’t take into account non native English speakers, u must be clear when u do statement like this made from someone from the tech team.

Again it’s basic communication not rocket science here

1 Like

Thanks, but it is hard to understand. Computer geeks are great at communicating with other computer geeks. However, they suck at communicating with non-computer geeks. Not all Roon users are computer geeks.

4 Likes

Also Roon team should use website for news and announcements and not a forum where every post gets buried within tons of others so everyone can clearly and easily find relevant informations.
It’s 2020 not 1990.

Not so difficult for a company with a large income like this

2 Likes

I bought Roon because it worked great with my device during the trial period. I had no awareness of Roon when I bought my amp and certainly not of the complex certification process going on in the background. How is this now my fault and I lose my cash?

4 Likes

Having been involved in both ends of a similar situation, I completely understand where this policy change is coming from and support it. It’s unfortunate that this may cause some devices to stop working, which may have been avoidable if this policy had been in place from the beginning, but at some point the decision has to be made for the benefit of the Roon ecosystem.

It is also a bit of caveat emptor to purchase something that a manufacturer advertises as supported but who also failed to complete certification. Arguably said manufacturer is playing fast and loose and must have made a decision to skip the certification process. Perhaps simply in the interest of time (which would be addressable via a firmware update) but that’s the best-case scenario.

I agree with @Matte_Rocks that messaging should be better; I only found out by accident from the news being shared in a separate online forum.

1 Like

I’m glad Roon has clarified there was no arm-twisting/fees involved. Licensing is a serious concern for all of us. A lot of unfair comments were made.

Caveat emptor here applies to the purchase of roon. The trial period involved lots of congratulatory feedback and advice from the roon team - showing us new users how great the product is on our uncertified devices. At no point did Roon warn or suggest in any way that they might withdraw device support after purchase.

They’re not withdrawing device support, after purchase.
They simply never provided device support to uncertified devices in the first-place.

1 Like