Roon Ready Certification

Astell & Kern claiming newer generation DAP will be Roon Ready in 2018 but Never happened till now and A&K not allow Roon to be install via OpenApp, so have no chance to enable it, I am not optimistic the A&K DAP ever able to running in ROON Ecosystem after 21 Sept as A&K halted all resources on Roon Ready, Roon just nailed on the coffin.

1 Like

With regard to UNCERTIFIED Elac Discovery Z3: While the unit’s software cannot be upgraded use the manual described method, Elec states (correctly) that you can use the speaker’s IP address to bring up and menu and do the updates in that area. That works. In our case, it took two updates to reach the latest even though the speaker was purchased from Elac two weeks ago. Hope that helps somebody.

A more appropriate analogy would be Google APKs on Android devices. Google APKs will run on uncertified Android devices, and those APKs will show the correct information about those devices, and interoperate with the Android APIs and other services.

But there’s no way it makes sense to blame Google when something goes wrong or when Google makes changes to their APKs or requirements that causes things to no longer work on the uncertified Android device. The device was not certified, so there are any range of problems that could occur. Some visible to the user, like a feature not working, and some not visible like your personal data being compromised.

1 Like

Do you lose anything?
Does Roon say your device is uncertified?

If by “Device support” you mean provide a service through that device - yes they did, and they leveraged that support to sell me the Roon product. If by “device support” you mean technical help through the website - fine - that’s a perfectly reasonable thing to withdraw and would be the right thing to do IMO.

Maybe, but if someone appears to threaten my music experience or the investment I have in hardware and software in support of same, my antenna is tweaked. And obviously my antenna is not the only one affected :slightly_smiling_face:.

Umm…they have supported it by not blocking it. They may not provide phone or email support but they have sent a precedent by allowing it to work on their platform. Hopefully they will get a lot of negative press that will force their hand. At a minimum they could have told the user community much earlier or given a reasonable time period like 90 days.

As a user I have done nothing wrong but I’m the only one that is impacted.

Completely agree with this. What would happen if google then chose to explicitly block those devices?

Agree with that.

OTOH, as far as backlash goes it probably wouldn’t have made any difference.

Would you, or the vendors for that matter, have acted on it?

I agree.

Two-weeks notice of such a change in software functionality is a little ‘tight’…

@Mike_Kelly1 Your device will still work. If it is an integrated with ethernet as you suggest you can probably still stream Qobuz and Tidal and your local files until this is worked out. You probably have a phono amp and line in for a CD player, tuner. Maybe a Bluetooth connection. You’ll be fine. You may be underwhelmed by this but all is not lost.

Does it affect Innuos devices? They are typically used as both Roon Core and Endpoints. Thank you

@thyname I mispoke they are not listed on the partners page

My amp will be just fine. It’s my just purchased roon subscription that will be useless.

What does your contract say?

My elac shows this

So all good?

Not at all. Manufacturers can just stay out of Roon Ready commitments and use RoonBridge, which works fine. Roon Ready represents a higher level of integration with a contractual arrangement. This is really easy to understand, the initial email from Roon was clear, and I applaud Roon for calling the bluff on certain manufacturers who have been abusing the “Roon Ready” label and thus inducing buyers to spend on equipment that in fact does not work well with Roon.

8 Likes

I got a message from one vendor today that they are going to start working on certification again…

1 Like

Stephen, in all fairness we should state the affair as it is. I was just looking at the Bricasti web blurb of their M3 streaming DAC. I didn’t see any mention of the M3 as being advertised as Roon-Ready. The M1 and M5, yes. But not the M3. Neither does Roon include the M3 in their list of certified devices.

So why were you induced to believe the M3 was a Roon-Ready certified device? Is it that Bricasti only recently edited away the mention of Roon-Readyness of the M3? Or did Roon just recently eliminate the M3 from their list of certified devices? If neither the hardware vendor nor the software publisher claims Roon-Readyness for that particular device, there is no reason you should now feel cheated away of such functionality.

So, in other words, Roon’s plan had the effect that they were trying to accomplish

4 Likes