Roon Ready DAP?

I have the new HiBy R6 2020 and can confirm that Roon downsamples any high res content to 24 / 44.1.

On the bright side, even Apple Music (and I assume Spotify) sound really good on this player.

The Tidal & Qobuz native apps both play their full FLAC and MQA resolutions, so unfortunately that’s the way to go for now or be happy with redbook quality.

Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: the whole bypassing the android mixer issue is resolved in the next Roon update.

1 Like

Dead link. Almost got my hopes up there :pleading_face:

1 Like

Maybe just too early to announce, at lease some progress made and Roon ready not yet dropped by both parties

Oh! Got it. TBH, I wonder why roon decided to use the android mixer at all.

It was there, showing the A&K SP1000 as Roon ready. It was taken down after it was “discovered”… :sunglasses:

Well after getting Roon 1.8 installed on my iOS devices, HiBy R6, and my Roon core I’m sad to say that this update did not resolve the Android OS downsampling problem. Will have to continue to live with it I guess…

Agreed, quite disappointing… :cry:

There is a fundamental difference between being able to run roon as a remote interface and roon ready on dap. The former does not imply anything other than it might work as a playback device, but to what extent there is no commitment.

Compatability I guess it works on every Android device without any issues or changing a setting. It was a lot worse when they let the system resample and not Roon it just broke up all the time so currently it’s a vast improvement on what it used to be pre 1.6.

If you look to support say USB DACs you get into a messy world. UAPP sometimes works sometimes didn’t on my phone at the end of every album it would loose the DAC and I had to unplug it restart and plug it in again.

DAPs are different though and should be able to be easily done in the software, as Tidal, Qobuz, and lots of others just pass through it seems if the os bypass it and exactly same app works on the phone and uses the Android mixer. But you get odd DAPs like pioneers and Sony that only their own internal players supports pass through and all other apps still go through the mixer. It’s not a straight forward thing to achieve given all manufacturers likely do it differently to each other

I want Roon to support bitperfect on my Hiby DAP but if it breaks playback on normal Android. If they can come up with a a sure fire stable way I am sure it will happen at some point.

tbh, I just bought a battery opack for a pi and am using that RN. Ineligant solution and annoying/bulky, but it does work at least

To anyone interested. Since the latest update 1.8 something changed according to downsampling to 48kHz on my DAP at least. It downsamples to 24bit 192kHz. DAP used is the FiiiO M11. Regular Adroid devices still downsample to 48kHz. Like for example the LG V30, LG V40. Anyone else that have had this experience?

Example: 24bit 192kHz FLAC

Example: DSD64

Fwiw, as of March 16 2021 A&K will provide firmware updates to their two flagship DAPs, A&ultima SP1000/SP2000, to trigger ROON Ready compliance.

Hopefully it will trickle down to the A&norma SR25 eventually. And other DAP manufacturers follow suit.

3 Likes

Hope so fed up with downsampling on my Hiby, be awesome to get Roon Ready on a dap. But I am not paying the overinflated prices for A&K there design choices leave something to be desired.

1 Like

Don’t count on AK allowing the software to trickle down to lower models. Hard to sell new DAPs that way. The rollout is two years late, and was supposed to be applicable to more models. I would take anything AK says with a grain of salt.

1 Like

Here’s something I didn’t realize…

Listening to Roon on my HiBy R6 2020 this morning and I’m using it as an LDAC Bluetooth transmitter > my Shanling MW200. Roon will upsample the stream to 24/96, presumably because I have sample conversion set in my DSP and it recognizes LDAC can transmit at a maximum 24/96?

I don’t use Bluetooth very often but I find it odd that Roon can do this yet not stream to my DAP with just headphones plugged into the DAP at anything greater than 24/44.1.

How is this configured. I am confused is the r6 connected to the core via USB

Nope. I am streaming from the core (Nucleus) via WiFi.

I’m guessing LDAC only transmits at 24/96? But I don’t understand how Roon knows to change the sample rate before it reaches the R6…

Still confused. You streaming from your core to the R6 which is on WiFi to the Roon app on it so it’s the endpoint . How does Bluetooth fit in? Your sending out Bluetooth from the R6 to something else?

Exactly. Apparently I wasn’t clear in my initial post from this morning?

Does the Bluetooth show up in Roon as another endpoint to play to! Otherwise I can’t see how this would make any difference. Perhaps when the Bluetooth is on its switching the Android Audio stacks default stance as that’s what Roon takes the sample rate from. As LDAC is 96/24 the system is setting the system rate to that from the native one. I’ll have to try it on my R5.