Roon Ready DAP?

Astell&Kern Roon Ready Firmware Update

New firmware for the SP1000 (v1.57) and SP2000 (1.31) is now available. With the latest firmware update, the SP1000 and SP2000 are now Roon Ready! Connect to Wi-Fi to download the latest updates now.

No, look at the signal chain that I posted above.

I have a pretty basic understanding of how this all works, but I just find it odd that Roon can send out a stream to my endpoint based on what that endpoint is doing with it on the other end (i.e. sending it on as LDAC) but yet it won’t send an upsampled stream to my DAP without the android mixer ■■ that my DAP has already resolved.

In the end, like you that is all I want. I find it interesting/weird/odd that just because you throw Bluetooth into the equation Roon seems to be able to do something that it cannot do when there is no Bluetooth involved.

I’m certainly willing to admit that I just don’t understand what’s happening though.

What’s frustrating is I can use Room’s DSP to upsample to any of my iOS devices without issue but if it’s an android OS device I can’t, even if that device has the ability to bypass the android mixer ■■.

Rant over lol.

I think as its Bluetooth it’s bypassing the DAC on the Hiby and Android system is telling Roon that the bluetooth protocal in this case LDAC is 96/24 so this what it can accept so it gives it that and will upsample as its told that’s all it accpets. It’s the same principle as to why it downsamples when using the Hiby inbuilt Dac but Android will report a different sample rate here. In my case it’s 44.1/24.

1 Like

That’s helpful, thank you.

I think that your problem is the same that occurs with FiiO M11: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/fiio-m11-upsample-downsample-on-roon/119313

Hi! Did anybody try a HiBy R3 Pro. I am looking for a simple device that give a nice sound for my IEM’s when I am gardening. I do not want to pay more than 400€ So I thought about a HiBy R3 pro or the Shanling M3X any other suggestions? It should work as an Roon endpoint like my IPhone but I don’t want to use these stiupid adaptors (USB Kamera adapter, Dragonfly red or Helm Bolt) .
If there were no issues I would invest a bit more and buy the M11 but it’s not looking like that.

They won’t work at all for Roon as they run bespoke Linux OS . You can’t install Roon app/bridge on them. Roon only works on DAPs running Android. I use the Hiby R5 and it’s a great little machine, low cost and runs the app. But it won’t be bit perfect as that’s just not possible right now with Roon on Android.

I’ll have to disagree with CrystalGipsy slightly on this one

I have an R3 Pro Saber that I use with Roon via its AirPlay feature. The R3 Pro is one of the only small DAPs I have found that has native AirPlay. I have a Nucleus as my Roon core and can stream directly to my R3 Pro via AirPlay. It works great and sounds great too :wink:. HiBy really makes wonderful players.

You of course are limited to 16 / 44.1 streaming due to AirPlay, but if you are just using it to listen with easy to drive IEMs while gardening you will be completely happy.

So if you can take advantage of Roon’s ability to stream via AirPlay from your core to your endpoint I think the R3 Pro would work quite nicely for you.

1 Like

Oh yes thats a good point. I completly forgot about Airplay. And you can of course install spotify direct on the R3 ?

No, you can’t install any apps. This is where CrystalGipsy’s comments apply.

You would have to AirPlay Spotify to the R3 from an iPhone/iPad/Nucleus, etc.

Tidal is pre installed as far as I understand the Information on the Website? It is Linux so maybe it is possible to flash it to Volumio 

Tidal is using API to connect so its their own build for it not official Tidal app.

Oh yes. Forgot about airplay I never pay attention to that as not an Apple user.

1 Like

Everybody forget airplay but it runs stable. But as I understand it now there is no cheap and easy solution on the market yet.

I have asked the Hiby rep in Headfi about getting them to add on RAAT like Astel and Kern, but I doubt it will come to much.

Tidal & Qobuz both work well on the R3, but the search function is very fiddly to work with.

If you’re playing Playlists that you’ve already made or albums you have already saved to your favorites then the navigation is okay, but searching for albums or artists etc, really sucks.

IMHO the R3 works best playing music off of a Micro SD card, playing a Tidal or Qobuz playlist, or via AirPlay. YMMV of course.

Thanks for the information. So I might wait and see what’s comming up. Meanwhile its just geting into my mind that my wife has still her Iphone 6 since years unused laying around and still unit got Headphone input.

1 Like

Some news about Roon Hiby new R6 downsampling? Thanks

Is it possible that the latest Roon update (Build 806) solved the android downsampling issue in our HiBy players?

Looks to me like it did! Yeah!!

No 44.1 has always played at 44.1 /16 or 44.1/24 on my R5 it’s only anything above 44.1/24 tgets down converted to 44.1/24 Roon sees the DACs limits as 44.1/24. That’s a bug I find happens sometimes and the rate gets stuck. Same as it was for my R5 hit anything above it’s downsampling.