Roon remote cannot find Core on AudioAanZee music streamer [Resolved]

I’m just throwing out ideas at this point, but are we sure that the folks at AudioAanZee have installed Roon Server on your streamer?

It’s beginning to sound as though they may have just installed Roon Bridge by mistake. That would explain why you can see the streamer as a Roon Endpoint from the Core running on your laptop, and why you can’t see a Core running on the streamer when you use Roon on your laptop to look for other Cores on the network…

I will ask them.

Have you tried uncoupling and then rebooting the streamer. It maybe, just maybe that if the streamer sees another core it just boots into bridge mode?

.sjb

Yup, he’s rebooted several times. And a Core won’t slip into Bridge mode if there’s another Core on the network. I have a couple of Cores active here…

1 Like

@Sloop_John_B
Just to be sure, I tried again. I uncoupled the laptop as core and rebooted the streamer and subsequently tried to detect it in Roon. No result. I shall wait for a response from the Audioaanzee people.

no more suggestions I’m afraid but google translate did give me a good laugh!

.sjb

@Geoff_Coupe

Thanks again for trying to help. Audioaanzee reponded that the server is installed. Apart from that, they seem clueless and are unwilling to help. I’m at my wits’ end. I might go and buy a router, just to exclude the possibility that this might be the cause. If that doesn’t help, I might have to return the streamer.

I’m also out of ideas here, sorry. It does seem odd that the streamer can be seen over the network as both a storage location and a Roon Endpoint, but that the Core on the streamer can’t be seen. Buying another router does seem rather the “nuclear option”. Perhaps the folks in @support could chime in with any suggestions…

I’m still thinking that perhaps the streamer is only running Roon Bridge, and not Roon Server, but the only way to be sure would be to telnet in using an SSH client such as PuTTY, logging on (using root as the username and vortexbox as the password), and then issuing the ps -ef command to see what processes are in fact running.

The Roon server seems indeed installed on the server. Below are the lines that had ‘Roon’ in them (I don’t suppose the rest is relevant).

root       562     1  0 15:18 ?        00:00:00 /bin/bash /opt/RoonServer/start.sh
root       572   562  0 15:18 ?        00:00:02 /opt/RoonServer/Mono/bin/RoonServer --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonServer.exe
root       647   572  0 15:18 ?        00:00:25 /opt/RoonServer/Mono/bin/RoonAppliance --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonAppliance.exe -watchdogport=35093
root       649   572  0 15:18 ?        00:00:00 /opt/RoonServer/Server/processreaper 647
root       770   647  0 15:18 ?        00:00:33 /opt/RoonServer/Mono/bin/RAATServer --debug --gc=sgen --server RAATServer.exe

Thanks again for your help!

OK, so Roon Server is there and is running. Hm. Perhaps one thing to try (and I’m clutching at straws here) would be to temporarily turn off the Windows Firewall on your laptop, and then see if it can find the Core on the streamer…

I’ve had both the firewall and virus protection off all this time (because I read similar suggestions on other threads).

Flagging @agillis here - Andrew, I believe that you know all about VortexBox - is there anything that you can suggest to resolve this issue? Thanks.

1 Like

I installed roon on my other laptop, to rule out a problem specific to my main laptop (this one runs on Windows 10, the other on Windows 8.1). When I chose to connect to another core, Roon on the other laptop immediately recognized the core on the main laptop, but it could not find the core on the streamer.

I created VortexBox software and give it away for free to anybody that want’s to use it. I also work with OEMs to customze VortexBox for their use.

VortexBox does not support Roon.

Audioaanzee is not one of my OEMs so it sounds like the Audioaanzee guys installed a free version of VortexBox then moded it to run Roon. Not a great setup.

I recommend running Roon Server on a Roon approved piece of hardware such as our sonicTransporter. You can find a list of supported hardware here.

https://roonlabs.com/partners.html

As for support on the Audioaanzee I would recommend contacting them.

We’ve been there, done that. Issue not resolved. But, thanks Andrew, I appreciate your chiming in here.

Thanks a lot for the response. Unfortunately, the Audioaanzee people have not been helpful at all. They simply seem to regard this as my problem, not theirs.

If they can’t / won’t support you I would return the unit full a refund.

I fear I might have to do that, indeed.

Guess what? The “nuclear option” has worked! I bought a new router, and after a small hiccup I was able to set up the streamer as core.

I am so happy that I can now fully enjoy great music and tremendously grateful for your help!

Siegfried

3 Likes

Well, whew, glad you’ve got it working. It sounds as though your previous router may have been blocking multicast on some of the ports?