Roon Remote cannot find core

I have a MacBook Air as the main core. It is set up to access connections from remotes.
My remote is another MacBook Air and an iPhone 6. Neither of them can now connect. Upon starting Roon from the Remote, the Page states:
Remote Connection
Waiting for Remote Core
Roon is still trying to connect, but it’s taking longer than normal
Check that your Roon Core is on and connected. You may also
want to confirm your network settings and firewall

Select a different core. Need help.

When I click need help, the page the message states

Sorry, you don’t have access to that topic!

Hi Rodney,

Can you give some more background to the problem.

1. Did it just start “out of the blue”. Or was there a Roon update? Or was there a OSX update?

2. Can you describe your network, the make/model of the router or access point these devices connect to, for example.

Hi Daniel:

I believe OSX was updated about the time this happened.

Roon is running on a MacBook Pro, running Sierra 10.12.3
Roon 1.3 (build 204) stable (64 bit)
I am running a Motorola cable modem that distributes wifi via an Eero network.
The output from a Eero device is taken via ethernet into a router, which then delivers signal to an Aries streamer and Comet DAC

Thanks,
Rodney.

Hi @Rodney_Pearlman ---- Thank you for the report and the feedback here, both are appreciated! Can you please confirm the following information for me:

1. Have you tried power cycling your equipment, router included?

2. Can you confirm that there are no active firewalls or anti-virus applications in your setup?

3. Have you verified that all of the devices have IP addresses in the same range (ie 192.168.1.xxx)? If not you can try an app like FING on the iPhone to scan your network looking for devices that it can see showing up its self in the process.

-Eric

1 Like

Eric:

Yes, have powered off all equipment.
No firewall on the Roon Core or MacBook trying to connect as remote. I reinstalled Roon on this unit today, after removing files stored in the Library etc… iPhone 6 also cannot connect.
Roon Core and MacBook remote both had firewall disabled today - but were working fine recently with the mac firewall enabled.
All devices have IP addresses 192.168.7.x

Rodney.

Hey @Rodney_Pearlman – would you mind opening the Network Utility app on the Mac that’s running the remote, and typing in the IP address of your Core machine?

You should see something like this:

Let us know how that goes, and we’ll go from there. Thanks!

Looks like the remote computer can’t see the core.

I get the timeout message when I entered 192.168.1.111

However, my iPad has no problem finding the core…

You need to enter the address for your core machine which (according to your other post) should be 192.168.7.something.

Yes, I pinged 192.168.7.30, and received the following messages:

ping: sendto: Host is down
PING 192.168.7.30 (192.168.7.30): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Hi @Rodney_Pearlman ---- Touching base with you here to see if any progress has been made. Drop me a flag (@Eric) and let me know!

Thanks!
-Eric

Well, another MacBook was able work as a remote and my iPad works. I am not sure about the IP address issue. Is there a paper on settings?

Hey @Rodney_Pearlman – if you can’t ping this device, something about your network or the network settings on the “unpingable” machine are blocking Roon here.

I’m going to ask the team if anyone has any more ideas about what could cause this, but in the meantime, can you look over some of the suggestions in this thread and let us know if any of them help?

Thanks!

A post was split to a new topic: Google phones and tablets have for the past 6 months struggled to find my core