Roon remote crashing atstartup on all my clients

Roon Core Machine

Core running on an IMAC late 2013 16 GB RAM, Catalina 10.15.7

Networking Gear & Setup Details

ASUS RT - N66U router and a couple of passive switches. Music and computer remotes all over ethernets, Iphones over wifi

Connected Audio Devices

4 x Linn DS/DSM

Number of Tracks in Library

About 1500 albums

Description of Issue

Our remote clients have all updated over the last 2-3 days and all of them now crash on startup. The clients are 2 iphones, a W10 PC and a 2013 Imac. The only clientwhere Roon isn’t crashing is the imac running the core - build 1143. Don’t think it’s updated - says downloading (looks like the download has crashed also). The crashed version is build 1211 (on PC). After reinstalling on the Windows PC I can do a few things (like look at settings) but crashes as soon as I start to look at music.

Note, I tried disconnecting wifi on my phone and the Roon app didn’t crash - but obviously couldn’t connect to the core either.
Maybe should say that I haven’t got ARC to work either. Autoconfig. didn’t work, but haven’t had time to troubleshoot.

This issue is apparently caused by a mismatch in the build versions between the Remote and the Core.

You need to get all your Remotes and the Core to the same (and latest) build. See this post:

From your report, it looks as though your Core on the iMac is still at an earlier build, and needs to be updated to build 1211.

If you can’t get the Core on your iMac updated by going to Settings > About using the iMac itself, then you will need to follow these steps, as long as you have backups:

• Find the folder that says “Roon” Mac software location
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

OK, thanks! The core won’t update itself so I guess something is corrupt there. I’ll do the fresh install this evening (CET)

Hi @Piers_Byford and @Geoff_Coupe,

This situation is the same, but different. The Mac is indeed running an older build of Roon but it also has two IP addresses. Can you make sure you only have one NIC connected and turn off wifi for me?

After this, the other possibilities are firewall, security software, or general networking issues and the last part could arise from the multiple IP situation.

If you look into all of this and it doesn’t work for you, the next step is to start with a clean slate for the Roon application. I will list those steps below too.

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon” and “RAATServer”
  • Rename “Roon” to “Roon_old” and “RAATServer” to “RAATServer_old”
  • Reinstall Roon from our Downloads Page

These steps will give you a clean slate and get you on the most current version of Roon from the onset.

In looking at devices that connect to Roon, the desktop PC E-5CG2281D9S will also need to be updated. You should be able to do this under settings>about when Roon is launched on that computer.

Please let me know how it goes. I’m the one tracking the issue of out-of-date cores causing this and would genuinely like to know your outcome here!

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like

Hi Wes

I did the clean install for the Core before I saw you mail so haven’t touched the RAATServer.

I also switched off wi-fi on the Core Machine - after I reinstalled. Everything seems to be “back to normal now”. Do I need to do anything about updating the RAATServer?

My work laptop (PC E-5CG2281D9S) says it’s running the latest version (build 1211). Do I still need to do something there?

Thanks//Piers

No, RAATServer is a component of the Roon software download package. It will have been updated by following @wes 's instructions above.

The latest release of Roon software is build 1211, so if that’s what’s on your laptop, you’re good to go. The crashing of Roon on your laptop would have been caused by the mismatch with the Core having an earlier build.

1 Like

Hey @Piers_Byford,

It looks like all of your Roon devices got updated. That’s good news.

You are all set unless you have other issues or concerns to address. I will mark my steps as the resolution but don’t hesitate to come back to us!

Wes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.