Roon Remote Interfering with iPhone System Volume

Roon Server Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

When opening, or bringing into focus, Roon (on iOS) changes the volume on my iPhone from zero to maximum, despite the iPhone output being disabled and thus should not be interacted with by Roon.

Version 2.0, 1357
iOS 16.7.2

I have been experiencing this same bug for the past two years.

I can reliably trigger the bug by doing anything that checks or affects volume on the iOS app, e.g., tapping the volume icon on the currently selected output device.

Currently it happens with:

Roon Remote 2.0.01357
iOS: 17.2.1
iPhone: 15 Pro Max

RoonServer is running on Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS

I also run Roon Remote in an old iPad running iOS 16.7.2 and it does not experience this bug.

Hi @Lars_Hansson, @R_C,

There was an old regression reported here that we fixed in 2021.

We’d like to activate diagnostics mode to generate logging and investigate these reports. Are either of you able to reproduce this with an approximate timestamp or the name of a track that is playing in Roon?

Can you additionally provide an iOS screenshot of the signal path in Roon under the conditions in which this occurs?

Thank you!

Dear Roon, @connor

I am having the same problem. I use my iPhone to control my Roon. But I have noticed multiple times that after using Roon App, the volume of my iPhone is on maximum. So when I am playing roon, and watch a facebook video, the volume is 100% Very scary !

Do you know what the solution is for this problem?

Kind regards

Geert

Hi @Geert_Diels,

Are you using Airplay in Roon with this iPhone when this occurs? Are you using any DSP in ARC (Muse) when this occurs? Most importantly, are you using the lock-screen controls for volume on this iPhone?

Please share a screenshot of Roon on your iPhone when you experience this volume behavior. The team will investigate more closely. Thank you!

Hi everyone,

We’ve confirmed you’re encountering a known issue for which our developers are busy working on a fix. We’ll be closing this thread out for housekeeping, so please watch the #earlyaccess section and Release Notes for a fix, as well as the tracking thread below.

1 Like