Macintosh HD Storage: 494.38 GB
System Firmware Version: 8419.80.7
OS Loader Version: 8419.80.7
Serial No. : H2WHV0H0Q6P0
Roon Core 2.0

Networking Gear & Setup Details

ATT Router for WIFI and wired Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

iFi Zen Streamer connected to the wired Internet router along with the Mac Mini.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

To control the Roon core on my Mac Mini from another room where my stereo is, I loaded the Roon Remote App (For Roon 2.0) on my iPad.
iPad info:
Model No.: MW742LL/A
Ser No. GG72HD3TMF3M
Model Name : iPad (7th Generation)
iPad OSVersion: 16.3.1 (20D67)

When I press the Roon Remote app on the iPad, it tries to startup but then crashes every time.

I have gone into the Roon Remote app settings . If I tell it to reset upon startup, the Roon menu will appear, but if I try to select any album, it then crashes.

Currently the only way I can control Roon is via my Mac Mini using the keyboard.
Please note only the Roon app on my iPad crashes. The Roon core 2.0 on my Mac Mini is OK when this happens.

I am not sure what the problem is. Can Roon help?

Hi,

Is it possible to confirm what roon build numbers the Mac Mini and iPad are running.

As a troubleshooting step have you tried rebooting the Mac Mini and iPad?

Where do I find the Roon build numbers, I am new to using Roon?

Also I think I rebooted the Mac Mini, but I will try rebooting both my Mac Mini and iPad, just to be sure.

Roon app —> Settings —> About

Will show the version & build numbers for all the found Roon components.

If the Remotes keep crashing, deleting them and reinstalling will ensure that are up to date.

On the current Production version page, it says that the latest version for the OS Roon Core is production 1211. I look at Settings — About on my MAC mini, it says 1148. I tried updating the MAC mini Roon core to 1211 and I receive an error saying; there was an error checking for an update.

There was no build number on the IPAD Roon Remote app. I assumed all of this would be updated automatically. Is production 1148 right for the MAC mini? Then delete the Roon Remote app on the IPAD and reinstall it? I think that is what you are saying. Thanks

The Mac Mini being on build 1148 is the problem here for sure, it needs to be on build 1211 like everything else.

This should help you out if you read this post/solution and follow it

My core is not updating and all the remotes are crashing - Support - Roon Labs Community

No that’s too old, it should be the same version as your Roon Core.
To overcome the “update error” message … download the Roon again from Roon’s website and reinstall it. Once done, recheck the build number to confirm it’s now 1211.

If you still have trouble with it after than, uninstall it from the Mac Mini and then reinstall from scratch.

The Roon app on the iPad should update itself from the Apple Store, but again if you have trouble remove it and then download once more from the Apple Store.

The above also applies to the Roon Core HOWEVER, for the Core it vital to have a current Roon Database Backup … to that all your edits, playlists etc can be restored from.

• I’m a little “paranoid” on the back front … I have two scheduled backups set up, to two different locations:
  1. Running each night, with 99 copies (it’s maxed out)
  2. Running weekly, with 52 copies (so I have a years worth)

I updated the Roon Core to 1211 and now everything is working. I may not have had the automatic version updating set, which it now is. Also I have the Roon database backup set up now. The iPad always had the correct Roon Remote app.

Thank You to you and everybody else gave me comments on how to fix this.

Tom

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.