Roon Remote Not Opening On Nvidia Shield Tablet

Just wanted to say that I’m a brand new Roon user, and having the same issue.

My LG mobile phone and ancient Samsung Tablet both work though.

1 Like

Any updates on this? I’d like to go back to using one device when playing music. Currently I have to use my phone but for everything else I use my tablet. This is inconvenient. Being able to run it all from my tablet was a big selling feature and for the last 2 months I haven’t had that functionality.

Hi @Neil_Bulk,

I checked our internal tracker and confirmed that this ticket is still with our development team. I can’t provide any specific updates on the timeline at this time, but I’ll be sure to reach out as soon as we have more information.

Thanks!

I just wanted to add that I’ve been following this topic and also have an unworkable nvidia shield that used to control my living room system. It would be nice to get this resolved.

1 Like

New version says, “Fixed inability to open Roon Remote on Nvidia Shield tablet”. I was so excited. Roon does get past the splash screen but now it hangs up at the “Remote Connection” screen. It just says “Waiting for Remote Core” and doesn’t go past that and freezes.

And to make matters worse, I updated my OnePlus 5 phone and now the roon app crashes on that as well. It worked briefly after the update but now just crashes instantly, sometimes showing the “Waiting for Remote Core” screen but still crashing. So now I have no device that can run roon remotely. I have less functionality than the day I bought roon.

I’ve restarted my tablet. I’ve restarted my phone. I’ve restarted roon. Nothing works. When I turn off “Accept connections from remotes” in roon my devices keep searching. I can see the period cycling. As soon as I turn that on in roon, they freeze and crash.

Tablet is running Android 7.0. Phone is Android 9.

The updated app is working on my wife’s Samsung Galaxy S9+. Please help with this!

Hi @Neil_Bulk,

Is there any change if you reinstall the app on these devices?

I’ve also enabled diagnostics on your Core so we can take a closer look. I’ll be sure to follow up soon when we have analyzed the report.

@dylan

The re-install seems to have worked for now on my phone. Thank you. Tablet experiences the same behavior described above. It gets past the opening screen and then freezes. The first time you start roon on the tablet I see this, but can’t select my core because it’s frozen.

Then when I restart the app I get the frozen, “Waiting for Remote Core” screen.

Hi @Neil_Bulk,

I just met with the team to discuss this, and we are hoping that you can send us over a new set of ADB logs like you did previously. This will help us better understand what is happening with this new failure state since things seem to have changed a bit.

Thanks!

I’ll get to that when I can. Thanks!

Neil

1 Like

Hi @Neil_Bulk,

I just wanted to check in to see if you’ve been able to get the ADB logs mentioned before. It’s okay if not, just wanted to check so I could get it over to the technical team if so!

@dylan

Haven’t been able to do it yet. Remember the process being a pain and not really looking forward to duplicating it. Soon.

@dylan

Here is a link to a word document with the output from my tablet. I hope this helps.

If you have any problems, please let me know. Thanks!

Neil

Thanks, @Neil_Bulk! Just wanted to let you know that this has been sent to the team and we’ll be sure to follow up ASAP when we have further information on this.

1 Like

@dylan

This new update hasn’t fixed anything for me. Once again, it’s freezing on the “Waiting for Remote Core” screen. I’ve un-installed, I’ve re-installed and I’ve rebooted my tablet. Same result.

Forgive me if I start to get a little snarky, but it’s been since November that Roon broke functionality on my tablet and I’m not happy about this development. Are you actually testing this on devices and getting it to work? Will this ever work again or should you just come right out and say we no longer support this device?

I wish I was still using 1.6. 1.7 has been nothing but disappointment. My MQA issue still hasn’t been fixed either.

A post was split to a new topic: Problem using Roon app on Shield Tablet

@dylan

I see you responding to other Android users previously having a problem but not here. I guess that means you know my tablet wasn’t fixed. I just let it try to open on my tablet again last night and sent a crash report in when it failed to open. It wouldn’t let me copy all of the details, so I took some screenshots. Maybe these will help you track down the issue.

Hi @Neil_Bulk,

Thanks for giving the new update a try. For most devices that were impacted by the issue it looks like things are working properly, but unfortunately the Nvidia tablet appears to still be behaving incorrectly.

To elaborate a bit on the issue, it appears that there are devices that are running on older GPUs that have drivers that have bugs in their Open GL implementation. Roon uses Open GL for it’s UI and, while we’ve confirmed that our implementations are correct for devices that properly support Open GL, some GPU models are not supporting this properly and it’s resulting in issues. Our latest update contained a number of changes that worked around these driver bugs and, for a majority of the devices affected, this seems to be working. Unfortunately, in this case, the GPU on your device (and a very small number of other devices) are still behaving incorrectly.

Before responding I wanted to meet with the QA team to discuss why this might be, and what our next steps are. Ultimately it appears that more changes will need to be made to address the Open GL support limitations on this device and it’s something we are actively looking into doing. At this time, more ADB logs are not needed from your particular device since we have a couple of samples, but we are going to gather them from other devices that are affected currently.

For the moment I can’t make any guarantees about timelines for further changes here — This will take some further investigation, workarounds, and testing from our Android development and QA teams in order to get this device up and running — What I say, though, is that we are continuing to look into this and we’ll be sure to keep in touch when we have further changes in this area.

You have our apologies for the trouble here, Neil. If you have any questions please do feel free to reach out.

1 Like

Thanks @dylan. I know there are far more important things going on in the world right now. Thanks for the reply and not giving up on this. Stay healthy!

Neil

1 Like

Thanks, but that wouldn’t work for me. I can use my phone with Roon, but now I’m at 2 device solution: phone for Roon, tablet for everything else. An iPad would still be a 2 device solution because I’d still use my Shield.

It was much more convenient when I could use my tablet for everything.