Roon Remote Windows Frequently Unresponsive

I have been running a roon core on Linux for a few weeks now and have been accessing it from iOS apps, and remote on both Windows and OSX.

iOS and OSX work flawlessly, but I have been having frequent issues with Roon Remote on Windows being unresponsive. I can still use the other devices to effectively control Roon Remote on Windows, but the interface is blank white and shows as being unresponsive in Windows task manager. This happes sometimes on starup, and often in the middle of using the application.

I have found that a temporary fix for this is to simply delete the data base files in AppData, but the issue seems to reccur every few hours and I need to delete the database again. I’ve also tried doing an uninstall and fresh install, which also seems to work only temporarily before the database is corrupted again. I’ve verified my graphics drivers are up to date as well (using an Nvidia 1070).

I’m going a bit crazy trying to determine what exactly is going on with the database on Roon Remote in Windows, and why this is the only device impacted, or what is causing it to happen so frequently in the first place. Any advice is welcome

I’ve moved your topic to the support section of the forum.
In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

thanks @ged_hickman1. My first time posting so I guess i didn’t categorize it correctly.

Anyway, as you suggested here is a brief summary of my setup:

• Core -Dell PowerEdge T40 w/ Xeon E2224G processor and 16GB RAM running Open Media Vault on a standard non-docker Linux script Install
  • Remote with problems - Windows 10 PC with AMD 3800 Processor, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 1070 (also have a 2018 Macbook Air, Ipad Mini 4th Gen, and RopieeXL on a RaPi 4 running with no issues at all)
  • Devices connected over ethernet home network (Except the iPad, but that not having any issues or in the chain between the Windows remote and core)
  • Audio devices - Using a SMSL SU-8 connected via USB to the Windows remote playback via ASIO, Hegel H190 connected to the RaPi4 on RopieeXL via USB
  • Library details - my library is stored on an HDD in the core, has 23004 tracks, and also connected to Tidal
1 Like

Hi @notthisperson,

Thanks for those additional details! Since the Windows 10 PC is acting just as a remote, can you please try to reinstall Roon on it using the following instructions?

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location (on the affected Windows Remote, not the Core)
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Connect to Core

Please let us know if that helps!

Hi @noris,

Sorry if I didn’t clarify well enough in my earlier comment, but I’ve tried this before as well and the fix is only temporary; within a couple of hours, the issue occurs again, even after deleting the roon folder and reinstalling remote

1 Like

Hi @notthisperson,

Thanks for confirming that the issue still occurs even after starting fresh.
Can I please ask that you send me a copy of the Roon logs from the affected machine?
You can use these instructions to access your Roon logs.

Hi @noris, sure thing, here is a link to my log folder

1 Like

Hi @notthisperson,

Thanks for sending those logs over, but unfortunately they appear to be from your Roon Core machine and not from the Roon Remote that is crashing. Can you please access the Roon logs on your Windows PC? You can type this in a Windows Explorer to access them: %localappdata%/Roon/Logs

Sorry about that, i misunderstood where exactly the errors on the remote would have been logged. Anyway thanks for your patience and here are the logs from the Remote PC itself

1 Like

Hi @noris., curious as to whether there has been an update on this. If it helps, the issue occured again today and I’m uploading the latest logs here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G_W33ci-SpblkO1ZElE8FXO5_U9eiQaN/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

Hi @notthisperson,

Thanks for submitting those logs and for your patience while we had a chance to review.

Looking over the logs, there doesn’t appear to be a crash report generated in Roon, so it is possible that the Operating System is triggering Roon to close before it’s able to write the crash report to the logs.

One thing which we did notice is that you appear to have a roon-extension-art-scraper appear to restart often in the logs. Can you please confirm if the same issue occurs with Roon extensions turned off or only when this extension is turned on?

One other aspect which may help is Windows Event Viewer logs, you can access them by using the following instructions:

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log... from the context menu
  5. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  6. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as.. from the context menu
  7. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save
  8. Upload the Event Viewer logs to Dropbox / Google Drive / etc. and post a link

Strange I can confirm that the issue was occurring before i installed any extensions. Regardless I removed album scraper and will try to post the windows event logs the next time the issue occurs

1 Like

Hi @noris,

While it did apparently go several weeks without a crash, i experienced another one today upon opening roon.

As you instructed, I’m linking the windows event logs here: eventvwr.msc

1 Like

Hi @notthisperson,

Thanks for sending those event viewer logs over! I do believe I see the issue here, it appears you got an NVIDIA OpenGL Driver error in the log and then shortly after Roon crashed.

I would troubleshoot this further on the graphics side of your affected PC. You can try to uninstall the driver and reinstall it as a clean install, or if that does not resolve the behavior you may also want to try running DDU and then reinstall afterwards:

thanks @noris, I’ll give it a try

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.