Thanks for the response.
My set up is a ethernet-connected system that consists of a NAS and two Logitech Transporters connected directly to an Apple Time Capsule router.
The NAS is a 64 bit system, powered by an Intel i7-4790K Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1150 88W Desktop Processor (16 GB Memory) mounted on a Asus H97M-E/CSM LGA 1150 motherboard.
The Roon Core resides in the NAS on a 1TB SSD.
All music is stored on a single Seagate ST8000NE0001 hard drive. There are about 30K tracks in this collection, although Roon claims there are 61K tracks (I think there are a lot of duplicates). The tracks are wav formatted – I used dBPoweramp to rip them from CDs.
The two remotes I use are a iPhone 7 and a iPad Pro – both purchased new within the past several months. When connected to Roon, they do a great job of controlling Roon in both zones.
I noticed several things with the remotes:
(1) When they are “sleeping,” they seem to “wake up” well (i.e., the screen turns on immediately and other programs and apps are very responsive). They often (but not all of the time) do not connect with Roon. Sometimes they connect with Roon instantly; sometimes it takes a few minutes.
(2) Sometimes, the devices do not connect easily with Roon even if the devices do not appear to have fallen asleep.
(3) Adjusting the amount of time they sleep doesn’t seen to impact whether they are able to reconnect with Roon.
(4) Exiting and Re-booting the Roon remote sometimes works (meaning that it immediately reconnects with Roon); sometimes it doesn’t.
(5) I have been unable to identify any “rhyme or reason” for the Roon remotes’ behavior.
(6) It seems to happen about equally between the two devices. Sometimes switching devices (from iPhone to iPad or vice versa) seems to make a difference; sometimes it doesn’t.
(7) It seems to happen in both zones about equally
(8) It also seems equally likely to happen when the remote devices are within 5 feet of the router and NAS as when I am across the house.
This is about all I can think of to describe.
Thanks for helping with this and please do not hesitate to let me know if you would like any additional information.