Roon remotes lose connection to Core

I am about to give up and when my subscription lapses I am not sure I will renew.
My remotes are never stable - on iPad or iPhone. For example now, I have music playing in the kitchen on a hifiberry Dac that is connected via wifi. Music plays without issues for hours. I work at my laptop and keep an ipad on a stand near me so I can see what’s playing. The iPad loses connection every minute almost - the white scren with Lost Connection! etc. Then it reconnects and then it does it again and so on. Same with my phone. All this at less than 3 meters from the hifiberry which streams without interruptions. So don’t tell me that I have a wifi problem. It is a Roon problem. All I want to know is if it will ever be solved.

I think the answer is no… Since your network is “just fine” i don’t see what could be done…

2 Likes

I never have a problem with my iPad Pro. You can set ipad screen Lock time too. Or am I missing something?
Occasionally I have to clear the app, but that’s just a simple swipe.

4 Likes

No problems here either. Don’t use iPhone XR much, but iPads always work fine.

1 Like

it’s not a matter of lock screen - I set roon to keep the display on. so the display is always on. the app just disconnects. if it is a wifi problem, why everything else works? roon playback, wifi playback using other apps, etc.

Some users see problems some don’t. New phones on latest os versions seem to have the most problems, iPads less so - this is going by the volume of support threads.

so there is a roon problem. why is it not addressed?

If you look at the forum threads you would see that there are active investigations underway but most of those are for crashes not drop outs.
All that said, although you say you don’t want to hear it, experience says if you are having drop outs on both iPad and phone then that points to a network issue given the symptoms you describe. Especially as you have already posted support issues with wireless connectivity to your ropieee and ls50 end points in the past.

1 Like

then why are there no issues with other devices on the same wifi? why only the roon remote suffers from these dropouts? why does the music stream without interruptions but the remote app has dropouts?

My experience is that Roon does already offer a stable and reliable IOS remote. I have old iPad Pro and it works just fine, never had a problem. I think you need to look inwardly at your own environment, you will get plenty of help here if you detail your network setup I am sure.

2 Likes

Implementation of Wifi on iPad is not fantastic, it is for sure the most troublesome device I have in that area.
What helped a lot with me is configuring CLoudfare as DNS server. .did you try that already?
Using Cloudfare as DNS server for iPad
Dirk

2 Likes

thank you, I will look into that.

but I am still not 100% convinced it is not a roon issue that they are not addressing. these remote apps have not seen major updates in a very long time.
I am not eager to start making a lot of changes to my wifi which works fine in all its other uses…

Roon is definitely “worse” or more demanding than other software and that translates into it not working well, if at all, sometimes.
It certainly should be better than it is but in the meantime the only thing a user can do is try to make their network more roon like.
Is that a good/reasonable thing to do? That’s down to the individual and their thoughts/budget/building.
I’d personally start by raising a support thread and asking roon to turn on diagnostics to see if there are any obvious causes that might be actionable to fix.

is there a defined specification for this “roon-like” wifi? I am not aware of any, but would be grateful if you could point me in its direction.
I don’t believe it is, that is why I think it is a problem with the app that it is not addressed.

I don’t think there is either, more a list of stuff it doesn’t like. :flushed:
That’s why I suggest you get actual roon support involved to look at your logs and see if anything shows up.

No problems on my iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 11 Pro Max, and iPad Mini 4.

1 Like

is there an official list of stuff it doesn’t like?
my point is, and I am sorry if I repeat myself, all other apps on my phone are behaving like they’re supposed to in the same wifi environment.
moreover, roon wifi music streaming is behaving as expected. if the app connectivity cannot be maintained over a network that supports streaming then I have a hard time believing this is a network problem.
regarding your repetead referals to support, thank you but I expect that roon folks are following forum threads and will address this issue. I did involve support when it was necessary, this time I would like to get a more general understanding on Roon’s position about this issue. I want to hear that Roon says that these lost connection issues are 100% caused by issues in local wifi not in their app.

I fully accept that for some users there are never any problems. I also know that I am not the only one that has these problems.
I think the fair thing for Roon to do would be to formulate it like this: the remote will work fine in network configuration XYZ. If you have another network then you may encounter issues. Since we don’t have that we cannot exclude a roon issue.

1 Like

Support only actively monitor the support threads. If you want a statement then post there or in feature request asking for a more stable client etc.

I moved the thread to support