Roon running slowly and "waiting for your roon server”

Hello! –
I appreciate any help I can get. I can’t seem to figure this out.

THE PROBLEM
Pages on the remote frequently take a long time to load. Buttons are slow to be responsive. Albums and songs frequently take a long time to start playing. I’ll get the message “waiting for your roon server” frequently. I’ll reboot and it’ll temporary fix the problem sometimes. Additionally, in order to reboot I need to remove the ethernet cable from the NUC and network. I’ve cleaned up my library and cleared my cache, but doesn’t fix the problem. This is an ongoing problem.

THE SET UP
CORE MACHINE
• Roon Rock 2.0 (build 1359)
• NUC 8i7BEH1
• SSD 250GB (Samsung 970 EVO Plus)
• 16 GB RAM (Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2400 & Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 3200)

REMOTES
• 2020 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi 256GB, Roon 2.0 (build 1357)
• Iphone SE 3rd gen, Roon 2.0 (build 1352)

NETWORK
• Verizon Internet Gateway (ASK-NCQ1338FA); connected via ethernet, DHCP

AUDIO DEVICE
• KEF LS50 W (connect via USB)

LIBRARY DETAILS
• 180,000 Tracks
• No Streaming

STORAGE
• 8TB internal SSD (Samsung 870 QVO SATA III)
• 5 TB external HD via USB (Seagate Portable Drive)

Any thoughts?
I’m thankful for any help offered.

Best,
Andrew

1 Like

Hi @Andrew_DeRosa,

Thanks for taking the time to write in, and I’m sorry to hear about your performance issues!

Reviewing your account information, I see that you have a total of ~177700 tracks currently, with a total of 140537 tracks being properly identified. This leaves ~ 37k tracks unidentified within Roon, which may very well be causing you the performance issues.

Can you describe your local library in more detail? Do you have at least one artist in your library with over 1000 tracks? Or do you have at least one artist in your library with over 1000 albums?

1 Like

Hi @benjamin
Thanks for your help.

A little more on my local libary:
I’m not sure how to find how many songs I have by a particular artist but I have:

346 Grateful Dead albums - mostly official releases, but some bootlegs, many albums are over 3 hours in length.
135 Miles Davis albums, including box sets and bootlegs.
95 Bob Dylan albums including some large box sets and some bootlegs.
71 John Coltrane albums including box sets and a few bootlegs.

So I definitely have some artists with over 1000 tracks.

I also wonder if the issue may have something to do with my 5G internet connection (but I don’t know much about setting up my network, so it’s just a thought).

Let me know what you think. I appreciate your help!

Best,
Andrew

A post was split to a new topic: Having Issues with Roon Linode IP?

Hey @Andrew_DeRosa,

Thanks for the additional information!

Our development team is currently investigating potential performance issues tied to larger unrecognized local libraries, and I think your library fits the bill for this issue.

The downside is we don’t have any immediate next steps, outside of temporarily removing the unrecognized/bootlegs and sections of your library causing Roon to underperform.

I hope to have more information to share soon. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I am having the same problem with a similar set up

1 Like

@benjamin
Thanks for the info.

Hello @Andrew_DeRosa ,

Are you still seeing this issue even after the latest Roon release? If so, please let us know, thanks!