Roon scans continuously and has dropouts

@support
Roon version 1.5 Build 334
Mac OS 10.13.6
2012 Retina MacBook Pro, Memory 16 GB
Synology NAS connected via ethernet cable through AirPort Extreme

This is the first time that I’ve had problems with either of these issues; so there is some chance that they are related. I restored from a backup, but the same issues recurred. Roon is still scanning.

I’d appreciate any help available.

Thanks.

Thanks for reaching out, @ronfint!

So we can get a better idea of what you are experiencing here, may I ask that you please share a couple of screenshots with us? Screenshots of Settings > Storage in Roon as well as screenshots of you Audio Analysis settings and the analysis window (click the blue spinner in the upper right-hand corner to see this).

How is the Core machine connected to the network? Ethernet or WiFi?

When did you notice this behavior? Was there any change in setup when this started happening?

Thanks!
Dylan

Hello, and thanks. I have removed my library and readded it, and it is currently scanning afresh. I imagine that this will take several more hours. I will report whether or not this helps.

My core machine is connected by ethernet to the AirPort Extreme that my Synology 1813+ is also connected to.

The strange thing about my issue is that I had rescanning set to ‘only at startup’, but the scanning started yesterday morning nonetheless.

I’ve also had audio dropouts, especially with Tidal, and I’ve never experienced that before. I’ll send the screenshots next.

I made no changes in setup before these problems started to occur, and as I mentioned, I was surprised when roon started to scan although being set not to.Here are the scans you asked for.

46%20AM

As you can see, re-adding my library still has a way to go.

Ron

Thanks for the details, @ronfint!

Keep me updated here. It looks like you have a decent number of tracks so it will take some time for Roon to re-add everything. If it seems to get stuck or you notice any issues please let me know and I can take a look!

Dylan

Thanks very much, Dylan. I appreciate your help.

Ron

1 Like

As far as I can tell, everything is back to normal. Removing then re-adding my library seems to have done the trick.

1 Like

Dear Dylan,

I’d appreciate if you could take a look at my setup. All was well after I re-added my library, but I closed Roon, added some files to my NAS, then reopened Roon, and the circle is spinning endlessly again.

Thanks,
Ron

Hey @ronfint,

Did this behavior happen last time after adding new tracks as well?

Are these tracks showing up in Roon? How many tracks did you add and how did you add them?

Thanks,
Dylan

Thanks, @dylan,

I added 5 albums — one from bandcamp and four digitized LPs. Also there were a few tidal favorites added. I did this by closing Roon, adding the files to my NAS using itunes, then reopening Roon. This is how I always add files. This behavior has not occurred before Sunday.

Hey @ronfint,

Can you share a screenshot of Settings > Storage in Roon? Additionally, can you select the storage location(s) here and choose Edit and then take a screenshot of the Edit Storage Location screen(s) as well?

Thanks,
Dylan

Dylan,

Here are the shots you requested, basically the same as I posted yesterday.

Thanks,
Ron

Thanks @ronfint,

I appreciate the additional screenshots here.

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information. Please see the instructions below:

1. Reboot your Core machine.
  2. Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes.
  3. Reboot your Core machine once more.
  4. Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes.

This should allow the team to gain some insight into what you’re experiencing in the report. Once you’ve done this let me know the timestamps and I’ll enable diagnostics on your account. When the diagnostics report is uploaded I’ll send it over to our team for analysis.

Thanks!
Dylan

Thanks, Dylan. I’ve done this. Here are the pertinent times:

Reboot core 3:41pm
Restart Roon
Quit Roon and reboot core 3:48
Restart Roon 3:49

Thanks @ronfint!

I’ve enabled diagnostics on your account. Once the diagnostics report is uploaded to our servers I’ll be sure to pass it over to the team for analysis. When the team gets back to me with their feedback I’ll update you on their findings.

-Dylan

Great. I’ll look forward to hearing back from you! Thanks again.

Ron

1 Like

Hey @ronfint,

Thanks for your patience here while the team has been looking into this. I had a chat with the team about their findings and I have some next steps for you.

Via Finder on your Core machine are you able to access this path on your NAS? .../Compilations/Masters of The Bow

-Dylan

Dylan,

Yes. I do notice some minor anomalies in that file, e.g. Disk 1 is in Masters Of The Bow,; Disk 2 in Masters Of The Bow. (I blame my ripping software for that.) one of the tracks also had a name beginning with an underscore, which I removed.

Thanks for checking that, @ronfint.

Just to confirm, you were able to access that path okay via Finder on your Core machine? After making this change do you notice any difference in the scanning behavior?

The only change I made was to remove the underscore. I didn’t change anything else. I don’t notice any change in scanning behavior. Do you think that I should remove all those files and rescan?

Also, those files have been on my nas for a long time.