Roon Scheduled Backup Time Changes without interaction

@support
Greetings - My Scheduled Backup time has changes itself now twice since going to 1.6. At first I thought it was me and my possibly failing memory, but now I am certain that excuse needs to be saved for requests from my spouse.

I have set, saved, gone back and checked, and saved again my backups to occur at 4 AM. Yesterday I received an alert that my backup didn’t occur because their was a music stream occurring. I checked the backup and it had moved from 4 AM to 8 PM. There’s no way I would ever set a time much before 1 AM, and no way I’d set it to 8 PM, I’d never get a backup. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Thanks,
Vince

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

Thanks for contacting us regarding this issue, can you please provide some more information here?

• What is your Core platform?
  • Where are you saving these backups, is it on a local hard drive or NAS?
  • Do you recall if the time changed during the transition to Roon v1.6 or only after 1.6 was installed?
  • How have you attempted to set the time again – are you creating a new scheduled backup or editing the old listing?
  • Is there anything that you see that could be triggering this time change, does it happen when rebooting the Core?

Thanks,
Noris

@noris

Answers in-line:

• What is your Core platform?
    NUC i7 - 100% the ROCK specs provided by Roon.
  • Where are you saving these backups, is it on a local hard drive or NAS?
    USB C Drive attached to the NUC
  • Do you recall if the time changed during the transition to Roon v1.6 or only after 1.6 was installed?
    I don’t recall this issue with 1.5. I have seen it twice now on 1.6.
  • How have you attempted to set the time again – are you creating a new scheduled backup or editing the old listing?
    Editing. I haven’t tried creating a new schedule.
  • Is there anything that you see that could be triggering this time change, does it happen when rebooting the Core?
    Good question. I think I’ve only rebooted the Core twice since the day 1.6 came out. Coincidentally, I’ve had the backup window change twice. I’ll reboot the core in a few and get back to you.

@noris

I just rebooted. The setting did not change from the 4 AM start time that I prefer.

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

Thanks for confirming that info for me. I have asked the team to do some testing here to see if we can reproduce the issue on our end. If this behavior occurs again, please note the exact local time in your country (ex 8:59PM) that you notice this change and then I can enable diagnostics mode for your account and see if there are any clues for the time changing there.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris Aye aye! I will keep an eye on it. It’s been twice since 1.6. I don’t know if there’s a rhythm to it yet, but we’ll see.

Thanks!
Vince

1 Like

@noris

Hi - I just noticed that it’s changed from my preferred 4 AM to 12 AM. To be honest I don’t think that I have checked in the last 3 days. So, I can’t narrow the time frame more than that.

I have returned the setting back to 4 AM.

Thanks,
Vince

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

Thanks for letting me know that info. I can confirm that the newest diagnostics package from your ROCK has reached our severs and I have submitted those to QA as well. I see that your case is still pending review by QA but as soon as I have an update to share I will be sure to let you know.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris I just looked at 4:55 PM Pacific and it’s changed again, this time it went from 4 AM to 8 PM. I am putting it back to 4 AM now.

Hello @Vincent_Kennedy,

Thanks for the new timestamp, I have attached it to your case. I don’t think more timestamps will help at this point so it would be best to wait until this case reaches QA’s queue.

Thanks,
Noris

You are winning the weirdest bug award at the moment🙃

@ged_hickman1 - It’s not the first time I’ve been called an overachiever. :wink:

2 Likes

@noris - Hi, for the past 2 nights backups are failing because music was playing. After seeing the first alert on the 24th, I verified that no music was playing in any zone that next night. It has failed again. I was able to successfully perform a manual backup.

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

Thanks for letting me know. QA is still investigating the possible root cause(s) and as soon as I have more information to share I will let you know.

– Noris

1 Like

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

I appreciate your patience while I have had a chance to discuss your case with QA. They are seeing some possible hardware or OS related issues in your diagnostics and would like to confirm how the ROCK behaves if you perform an OS reinstall. To perform an OS reinstall please follow the below instructions:

The OS reinstall should not affect your database but I would make a backup first “just in case”, please let me know if you are still experiencing this issue after an OS reinstall and we can take another look.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

@noris I have performed all of the steps above. I have also reset the backup time to 4 AM.

Thanks,
Vince

1 Like

So far so good. This mornings scheduled 4 AM backup was successful. I will continue monitoring and report back.

Best regards,
Vince

2 Likes

I was going for a poltergeist if it kept up.

@ged_hickman1 - Don’t give up just yet. I am not, I have a Panasonic Plasma that needs replacing. :wink:

@noris Two days in a row of successful backups at 4 AM. I will keep checking over the weekend.

1 Like