Roon Scheduled Backup Time Changes without interaction

@noris - Three successful days of backups at 4 AM in a row. A few more and we should be able to close this issue.

2 Likes

@noris - Two more days of success. I think we can close this issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Vince

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy

Thanks for letting me know that the OS reinstall has resolved this issue, it’s been enough days that I would agree and say that we can close this issue. If this issue re-occurs at any point in the future do let me know so we can open it back up and take another look but from what you have mentioned things have been stable which is good to hear :+1:

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

@noris - thanks so much for your help and the help from your back end Team.

Cheers!
Vince

1 Like

:ghost: gone.

1 Like

@noris - I am sad to say that it’s back. I just looked and the last backup was on 3/5 and the setting was set for 8PM. I just returned it to 4AM and forced a backup since I’ve been moving my library from Tidal to Qobuz.

Sorry for the bad news.

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

Sorry to hear that the issue is back, I thought the OS reinstall would have really helped here :frowning: . I will ask QA for some additional feedback regarding your case.

Can you please let me know what Roon Remotes you are using to control ROCK? Do they all have the correct date and time set?

Thanks,
Noris

@noris - as far as remotes are concerned they are either Android Phones, Android Tablets, and Win10 PC’s. Yes they all have the correct time.

I would be using Control4, but you won’t license it to me… Hint… :smile:

1 Like

@noris - You do bring up an interesting question. Where do I determine what time the ROCK is using?

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

Thanks for confirming that the time is correct on the Roon Remotes. ROCK is using UTC time and it automatically syncs with an NTP server although I can’t say for sure exactly which NTP server it uses. The backups are configured by providing an offset from the time inputted in the Roon Remotes to UTC time on ROCK and run that way.

I wonder if this could be triggered by any specific Roon Remote connecting to the ROCK, do you by any chance notice this issue that way? When the backups were working as expected, did you refrain from using any of your Roon Remotes and then when the issue re-occured did you connect with one that you perhaps haven’t used for several days?

Thanks,
Noris

@noris - Interesting question. All the hosts for the Remotes are always on. How many of them have Roon up and running at any given time is hard to know, especially the phones. I can say that the two PC’s and the Tablet that are used as Remotes do have Roon up most of the time. Phones are questionable. I just looked at my phone and it was running Roon. I looked at my wife’s phone and it wasn’t.

Is there somewhere in the logs that show active client connections?

Hi Vincent,

Yes, it is possible to check in the diagnostics but it would require some time to figure out when exactly they are connecting and disconnection. I have reported your updates to the QA team and I will wait for them to take another look before starting this digital forensic investigation, just in case they can identify other possible causes for this issue occurring. I will be sure to let you know once I hear back with next steps.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

@noris - Ready and willing to play, just let me know what I can do at my end.

Thanks to you and the QA Team.

Cheers,
Vince

@noris - As a test, I deleted the prior backup job and created a new one to run daily at 3 AM.

@noris - Creating a new backup job did not work. The backup window changed to 8PM without my interaction.

Gremlins!

We’re back :ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:

1 Like

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

I spoke to the QA team regarding this issue again, looks like we’re starting an investigation here :male_detective:
Ok, so here is the information we want to gather:

• Do you know the approximate time that the backup last changed by itself?
  • What Roon Remote(s) did you use to set up the backup time in your last message?
  • What time zone do you have on your remote?
  • Were you interacting with other Roon remotes at the time of the backup change? If so please list which one’s exactly.

If you don’t have all this info right now that’s ok, from what you told me this issue happens somewhat regularly, so please gather this information next time it occurs. If you can provide a response similar to the following it would be helpful:

• Issue occurred overnight on 3/11/19
  • Set backup time on Remote X
  • Was interacting with Remote X, Remote Y, Remote Z that night
  • Time-zone on Remote X is %, time-zone on remote Y is %, time-zone on Remote Z is %

Once I have all of this information I can enable diagnostics mode for the affected remotes and take a closer look to see if any of them are perhaps changing the scheduled backup time.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris Hi sorry for the delay in response, I have been traveling.

I will gather all the information that I can. One thing to note is that I just recently noticed that along with the backup times changing without intervention, the backups themselves are not occurring consistently. With a few exceptions I have been diligent in turning off all the streams before I retire to bed. It seems that the backup process is rarely occurring on its own.

I do hope that your dev team will add value to the backup process by automatically pausing any active streams before the backup window begins. This shouldn’t be too difficult to implement. We’ve been freezing processes and snapping databases for quite some time now.

Thanks,
Vince

-----------Everything is on Pacific (PDT which is UTC-7 hours) time. Though, I have no idea how to check what time the ROCK is set too. I don’t see it anywhere in the UI.

Hello @Vincent_Kennedy,

Thank you for gathering that information. Now that I have timestamps, I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics for the VK Dell and VK Google Pixel 2 Roon Remotes. Can I please ask you to open the Roon App once more on these devices and allow it two minutes to contact our diagnostics servers and upload the diagnostic packages?

As for your statement that “It seems that the backup process is rarely occurring on its own.”, according to the ROCK logs, I see that a backup occurred on: 03/17 03:01:45 UTC, 03/18 03:03:20 UTC, 03/19 03:03:25 UTC, and 03/20 17:20:03 UTC. Are you saying that these backups are not showing up in your Roon backup manager?

I spoke to the team regarding your proposal here:

While this may seem like a good idea in theory, in practice if the scheduled backup time were to conflict with music being played at the same time, it could make the Roon experience quire frustrating if music were to randomly stop while there is a party/event/listening session going on. I’m happy to look further into why the backup times are changing by themselves but the backup window should be set to a time that Roon is not in use to avoid this kind of dilemma.

Please let me know after you have opened the Roon App on both your Pixel and Dell again and I can confirm that those diagnostic packages have been received successfully.

Thanks,
Noris