Roon Scheduled Backup Time Changes without interaction

@noris - I think you could solve the issue with frustration by including a check box “acknowledge that the all active streams will pause during backups” or something similar.

I will fire up both remotes here in the next 15 minutes.

Thanks!

@noris - I have turned on both remotes. You may also want to include “VK PSJH Dell XPS 13 - ORLT918448” in your diagnostics. I often use that device as a remote. I used it today to reset my backup window and forced a backup today.

Thanks!

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

Thanks for powering those on and for letting me know about the Dell. I can confirm that diagnostics have arrived for all 3 devices and I’m getting this information over to QA for the investigation. When I have more details to share, I’ll be sure to let you know.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris - Thanks for sticking with this issue.

I am not seeing the same info in my view of successful backups. This is a bit worrying.

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

Thanks for sharing that screenshot. I have submitted it along with the logs from your devices to QA for review. I will let you know as soon as I hear back.

– Noris

1 Like

@noris - any updates? Or am I being antsy?

Thanks!
Vince

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

Thanks for pinging me, the report from QA just came back today so good timing :slight_smile: . QA has noted that it appears that your backup folders are nested inside another backup folder, and this might be a factor causing the issue. Can you please try to perform these steps?

1. Temporary delete all your scheduled backups in Roon (not the backup themselves)
  2. Create new folder in the root of your backup drive, call it “Temp_backup”
  3. Create new scheduled backup pointing to Temp_backup folder
  4. Press ‘Edit’ and ‘Save’ for scheduled backup from step #3 (from the remote where you observed this issue)
  5. Wait the time need Roon to perform the backup and see if it was successful at the correct time
  6. Press ‘Edit’ for scheduled backup from step #3 (from the remote where you observed this issue)
  7. Check whether time has changed
  8. If not press ‘Save’
  9. Check after next backup.

If you are still able to reproduce the issue after following the above procedure, we will need to gather more info again:

1. Diagnostics both from core and remote
  2. Backup time that you set the scheduled backup from your Roon Remote
  3. Time at to which the Backup Time got modified
  4. Approx time frame when this issue occurred

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

@noris Hi - I have completed up to Step #5 above. I have set the backup time for 3 AM. Now I happily wait while listening to Glen Hansard.

Thanks!
Vince

1 Like

@noris - The first scheduled backup to “Temp_backup” failed last night. This morning when I looked to see the status as requested in Step 7 above, I saw that that the schedule backup had failed because it had moved the window to 8 PM. I had only setup the new backup schedule around 7 PM. Since the window was moved without my knowledge, music was playing at 8 PM so the backup was missed.

I created the new backup job for “Temp_backup” on “VK Google Pixel 2 XL”.

Here’s a screenshot:

After I send this update I will:

1. Change the scheduled backup back to 3 AM.
  2. Force a manual backup to “Temp_backup”.

Cheers,
Vince

@noris

I just looked at my phone, where I created the new Scheduled Backup and see that the time there is showing that the backup was set at 3 AM, the time I chose when creating the job. But, as you can see above my PC “VK PSJH Dell XPS 13 - ORLT918448” is showing 8 PM.

Here’s a screenshot from my phone:

Both my phone and PC show the correct time.

The mystery continues…

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

Thanks for providing that information and for running those tests. I can confirm that all of the diagnostics packages from your Roon devices have reached our servers and the needed information was located. I will be discussing the diagnostics with QA and will let you know what they say.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris - It’s looking like changes made on one endpoint are not being reflected on other endpoints. As I write this my PC is showing that scheduled backups are set for 8 PM. On my phone the same job looks to be set at 3 AM.

Other functions are showing up immediately on both devices. Things like Now Playing are accurate across all zones on both devices.

@noris - More info:

It looks like changes made on my PC are reflected on my phone with a 7 hour offset.

If I set the backup on my PC to 3 AM my phone shows the same backup schedule as 10 AM. If I change the schedule on my PC to 4 AM the same schedule on my phone immediately updates and shows 11 AM.

If I set the schedule on my phone to 3 AM, my computer immediately updates the same schedule to 8 PM.

As we’ve discussed prior the PC and Phone show the correct time of day and date. They are in the same timezone.

Head scratching…

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

Thanks for letting me know that, I also noticed that fact regarding the offset and added it as a note to the case. Your case is in the queue for review so as soon as I hear back on why this could be caused I will let you know. One other thing which may help here, can you right-click on the time on your Dell PC and open “Adjust Time/Date” and post a screenshot?

Thanks,
Noris

Just throwing in my thoughts. Please ignore them if not relevant.

This is called local time. You can chose any TZ and set the correct local time. Unless there’s no external reference time signal (or difference in DST changes) your device (and you yourself) will most likely be happy with that.

I’m sure you actually checked this in the settings and don’t just assume that just because they show the correct local time.

@BlackJack - Hi, thanks for pitching in. Yes, all of my machines are on Pacific and show the correct time.

1 Like

Looks like Roon is on the same track as me.

But judging on this, I would say it’s the phone that runs on UTC and the PC is on PST.

1 Like

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

Thanks for posting that screenshot. I just spoke to the team and we think we understand most of what is happening here, although it is not totally clear on what to do next. Backups are scheduled in the time zone of the remote, but Roon saves backup times on the server in the time zone of the server, which for ROCK is always set to UTC.

The way that works is, when you set or edit a backup schedule we send the scheduled time and the offset between the remote’s local time and UTC to the server. The server then converts to server-local time and saves the backup schedule.

For some reason the Roon Remote App on your Pixel believes it’s set to UTC, so it sends the scheduled time and a 0 offset to the server. Then later when you view the schedule from the Dell it reports “3am UTC” as “8pm”.

We don’t currently understand why Roon Remote on the Pixel seems to think it’s set to UTC but for now, you can get backups set to 3am local time by setting them on the Dell, and ignoring the difference in reported times between the Pixel and Dell remotes.

I will be sure to update you once I have more information to share but it may require a deeper investigation on our end with psysical hardware and I can’t comment on any timelines of when this investigation will be completed.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

I validated that the Pixel is set to: :Network provided time. In this case that’s from Verizon. The timezone is set to “Use network-provided time zone” and that is currently showing “GMT-07:00 Pacific Daylight Time”.

1 Like