Roon Scheduled Backup Time Changes without interaction

As I don’t know when I last rebooted my phone (it’s actually always on), have you rebooted your phone lately? Maybe something just hangs.

@BlackJack - I reboot it every few days just as a matter of memory housekeeping. The last time I rebooted it was this morning just as I sat down to work.

Back in the early days with mainframes, rebooting was so alien to us. Fast forward 30 years and Windows has made rebooting part of our daily culture. It’s gotten better, but it’s still not nearly as stable.

1 Like

@BlackJack - Of course, I firmly believe that in 100 years, people will look back at the emergence of the PC as the dark ages of computing. We had everything we already needed with Mainframes and Supercomputers (Cray). Really powerful computers with a shared pool of CPU, Memory, and Storage that multiple users accessed remotely via a terminal. Sound familiar? What do we have now? A browser which interfaces with really powerful computers that have a shared pool of CPU, Memory, and Storage. Huh…Why did we need individual compute?

So we already know that it seems as your phone talks with ‘local time = UTC’ despite showing the correct PST TZ. Do changes on the time zone setting reflect in Roon or not?

• Switch ‘Automatic time zone’ off and check the backup time in Roon.
  • Change time zone to e.g. CET and check the backup time in Roon.

Has the backup time changed in any of this test cases or is the backup time in Roon completely independent of the time zone setting of your phone?

Individual compute is already over. It’s distributed computing what we have today. Not a single big computer, but data-centers with thousands of individual computers working on different tasks connected with millions of PCs and smartphones which are also all working on different tasks all over the globe.
Back then, when the big machine in the basement failed, we knew at least where to search for the error. Where do we search today?

1 Like

Agreed, one of the farms my Team manages currently has ~4000 hosts. But, I’d still rather have just one DEC!! Now it’s containers and kubernetes.

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

I would agree with running @BlackJack’s proposed test here:

1. Disable Automatic data and time + Automatic time zone on the Pixel 2
  2. Set same time zone as dell + make sure it’s the same time
  3. Reboot the phone (just in case)
  4. Try to reproduce this issue

Can you please give this a try and let me know if that changes anything?

Thanks,
Noris

I checked the behavior on my android devices - I normally don’t use them for configuration changes, so please apologize that I didn’t noticed that earlier - and can confirm that on android devices (landscape and portrait UI) the displayed backuptimes are wrong as @Vincent_Kennedy has showed.

And my memory also seems to worsen:

And I’m not even running ROCK.

1 Like

Hi @Blackjack,

Thanks for sharing that thread link. I will be discussing with QA at our next meeting to see if these two reports are related. I will be sure to let both you and @Vincent_Kennedy know the outcome of the meeting.

Thanks,
Noris

2 Likes

Hello @Vincent_Kennedy,

I wanted to touch base with some good news, which is that our technical team has been able to reproduce this behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved. Thanks again for the report!

– Noris

1 Like

Exorcism…

I know that this puts more work on the Dev Team, but, I am glad it’s not just me.

Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to assist the Dev’s.

Cheers,
Vince

@ged_hickman1 - pea soup…

1 Like

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

We’ve made a change here in Roon 1.6 (Build 416) that we believe should address this behavior. Please update Roon and let us know if you’re still seeing any issues. You can read the full release notes here:

@dylan @noris

Well, one day in a row and backups seem to be working. But, there’s an issue with data being displayed in Scheduled Backups vs data in Backup Manager:

As you can see Schedule backups shows last successful backup at 20:01:51 vs Backup Manager at 03:00:00.

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

Glad to hear that most of the issue has been resolved and that backups are now working with the new version of Roon.I will ask QA to take a look to see if they can reproduce the difference in between the Scheduled Backups tab vs the Backup Manager tab. Either way, glad to hear that there has been some improvement in behavior here!

– Noris

1 Like

Hey guys, let’s please keep this discussion focused on the issue and less on off-topic remarks.
There’s always the message user button if you wish to talk about off-topic stuff. Thanks!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Backup scheduling using UTC instead of local time [Ticket In]

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

We’ve just released Roon 1.7 (Build 500) which includes changes that should improve this behavior. Please give it this a try and let us know how it goes!

You can read the full release notes here:

Thanks,
The Team at Roon Labs

@noris - I’ll poke at it over the next week or so, and let you know.

So far 1.7 is pretty good. I have noticed that the Tag popup is slow to fill in my tags each time I want to modify tag info. It’s taking at least 5 seconds, maybe longer to fill in the rectangle. The wording for the Template itself appear immediately, but the text and check box for my tags are what is taking longer now than on 1.6.

Cheers,
Vince

Hi @Vincent_Kennedy,

Do let me know how it goes.

Can you provide some more information regarding this aspect?

• Does this always occur or is it an intermittent issue?
  • Does rebooting both the Core and Remote trigger a change in behavior?