Roon search extremely slow - how to fix it? BUILD 1353

Yep I am on 1354 and its slow too…not 2 min search slow but it took over 15 secs to return a search just now for The Cure.
D

1 Like

Forty seconds here. Sad.

Try searching for “The The”, and your system might crash…
Anyways, loose the “The” in your searches, and i think it’ll be a lot faster?

Edit: I seem to have significantly better response times for search operations today? Yesterday it was obnoxiously slow.
!

Roon discovered a memory leak bug on their backend (responsible for overview pages etc) which should be fixed since yesterday. So let’s see how the other backend systems behave and what the dev team can find out.

It seems that the fix they introduced yesterday (so far) has fixed my issues. Moving between screens, loading of external data (recommended albums, playlists etc) is back to taking a second or two. Same with opening tags and displaying my tags, which is almost instant now. Just hoping it doesn’t revert back!

Things are getting worse:

searching “the lamb” never returns any results, loses connection to the core, seems like the server is crashing indeed

then further searches no longer return anything :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Saw the same thing yesterday, on a somewhat slower Core…

I have not questioned that after installing 1354 it got faster for you. I doubt that changes in the software between 1353 and 1354 made the difference. If they do, then that’s important info for Roon (and a monumental f-up by Roon)

1 Like

There’s clearly a problem.
Is there a Roon support person on here to explain this situation?

1 Like

The best I can offer is Nathan in this thread:

Or further up in this thread, but this was 6 days ago :frowning:

2 Likes

You weren’t kidding. I lost connection searching for The The. Says something wrong with the core and music I was currently listening to crashed. On Qobuz it won’t show the artist in general search but you put in T and them select Artist, as soon as your done typing The The, it’s instantly shown. Roon is really broken.

I’m a lifetime subscriber but it’s embarrassing slow. When I was showing off my Caldera headphones to a friend, he was asking what software I was using and kept mentioning how slow the search results were. I basically said I’d immediately switch over to Spotify is they offered lossless. Maybe it’s a good thing the company got sold. Can finally hire some people to actually fix the search function. Feels like it’s just been patches for years. Still can’t really bring back misspelled searches like any other search field can.

I tried The The again and it still caused music to stop but this time found the artist after about 20 seconds. My Naim app found it instantly without having to do anything special. They break results out albums and then artist and it’s first choice. Naim app used to be so much slower than roon, you wouldn’t want to touch. I might start using as my go to now.

2 Likes

Paraphrasing Winston Churchill, Roon is the worst form of music search/archiving/retrieval software except for all the other software that have been tried from time to time.

I believe the folks at Roon are working on this problem, among other recent developments, and look forward to a successful resolution in the near future.

6 Likes

I see you’re a man of Faith, apart from having good musical taste… :rofl:

3 Likes

Check the other thread I linked above :slight_smile:

Well, I have. I spend too much time reading threads on here, and I remember when in past events of past-update ‘emergencies’ Roon’s upper echelon joined the discussion, reassuring the customers that they were doing all they could to get the problems resolved, all the while inviting users to post their problems and individual setups. There’s now a developer giving some insight, which is thankfully accepted, but it may not be enough to stem the tide of disgruntlement. It’s difficult to gauge how serious they are taking the reports, or how much resource is available to resolve the issues in a more or less timely manner…

4 Likes

@nathan please can you read this thread
There are many people having very long response times (up to more than 2 minutes instead of 2 seconds) when searching with the new version
Is it a bug of the new version or is there something broken in the roon cloud?
Will roon be able fix this?
Thank you

Don’t have that with the current version, not really “snappy” but under 1sec for all searches I tried incl. “the THE” :wink:

1 Like

Zenit has been hard at work at resolving these issues. I don’t know the particulars of his investigations but I know he’s investigating. If he hasn’t been as responsive as you like I’m sure the solution is either tough or he’s had a prize catch of red herring.

Will roon be able fix this?

Yes.

6 Likes

Well as a lifetime customer, one can hope things will get better and doesn’t cost me a thing to find out. But if I was current paying customer, I’d have to think long and hard whether it was worth it to stick with roon. What real benefits does it currently bring. It made much more sense years ago when I depended more on local library or I was using with HQPlayer. Now mostly just use all streaming files and just have stuck with roon because I’ve gotten use to the interface over other players. However, in the car, I find Spotify much quicker to use and don’t care about lossless while driving.

I get these may be temporary issues, but when asking customers to pay on top of the streaming cost but get worse results, that’s a hard ask. The other problem that still exists is when certain albums are on the streaming app but haven’t shown up in roon yet due to sync issues. I get the technical issue, but still find that crazy that no permanent solution for this exist yet. Few and far between but frustrating when it’s album you’ve been looking for.

But sure, maybe for Christmas, roon search results will work as expected.

3 Likes

Over my years as a lifetime subscriber, Roon has always resolved the issues that mattered to me. I tried InnuOS Sense for a while and still contend that with a Zenith SE server, music sounds better than when played in Roon. Using the Zenith as both the Roon Core and the music server plays a role in this. The archiving/retrieval limitations in InnuOS Sense were a show stopper for me, though, so back to Roon it was.

1 Like