Roon search extremely slow - how to fix it? BUILD 1353

Its a pitty that you cannot check your roon on rock for cpu performance and memory

A black box which is really total black

2 Likes

Well, I know Roon keep saying 8gb ram in a NUC is enough but it has been a while since I last seen that and there has been a few changes. I popped off the lid to the Roon Rock NUC to check and I do have 8GB at the moment but as a single ram module.

This does mean itā€™s not utilising dual channel memory modeā€¦ however, it does mean itā€™s a nice easy and cheap addition to expand it to 16gb and benefit from the extra memory and the faster dual channel memory mode. So, Iā€™ve ordered it and weā€™ll see if this makes a difference

3 Likes

Certainly true, but I doubt such a performance monitor would always lead to a clear explanation what is the root of the slowness. The app of my NAS running roon offers a pretty professional resource monitor but I am not always able to track down the problem despite from seeing entire CPU or single cores peaking for some seconds when performing computing-intense operations. At least I was able to understand when 4GB RAM was not enough so I upgraded to 8 which is never coming to a limit ever since but nevertheless I was encountering sluggishness at times (a year ago).

I wished in a future version of roon there would be some kind of basic resource monitor showing the user how many albums approx. he could add until the systems enters a stage of overloading. Even if it would not be precise, just like a BEVĀ“s battery range being eaten up fast than the driver can imagine, it still would help to know the limits of the machine and its connection to roon servers. I suspect that in some cases it might be the local hardware reaching a tipping point, in others the cooperation between the local machine and roonĀ“s cloud servers. Just a theory.

In any case, I find it useful to make an experiment checking if disabling parts of the library and cleaning it up would help performance. With my performance problems this was always the case so far, so I disabled certain folders and roon runs smooth like butter.

1 Like

Itā€™s an M1 with 16gb ram. I believe I only had 8gb on the nuc. Library size is currently at close to 7500 albums just from streaming. Working on getting my local library hard drive converted to a Mac format and then Iā€™ll have little over 10,000 albums combined. But overall performance is just better. Everything loads up quick. But there still is a slight delay in searching compared to using native streaming app but nothing like before. When I last tested the nuc without the local drive hooked up, search felt unusable. Everything was taking long time to find results. Would be embarrassed to show someone roon like this.

2 Likes

Thanksā€¦ Iā€™m going to see how the extra memory with the Roon Rock NUC goesā€¦ only a Ā£30 upgrade to get it to 16gb so worth a try before looking at more substantial Ā£ options!

Those would be an up-to-date NUC with 32gb ram or, the M2 with 24gb ram but base SSD as I use external drives. Even if the extra memory works for now, it would mean that Roons advice of only needing 8gb is now defunctā€¦ weā€™ll see. Iā€™ll report back here as to how it impacts the performance as no change could mean its a software problem or, Rock issue.

If this means having some 125,000 tracks in your library, it is considered to be a pretty big one requiring a significant amount of computing power on the coreĀ“s side.

That might be a result of the sheer number of tracks and the fact that roon is requiring a combination of local database crawling, streaming service and cloud search.

If you want to go for my experiment to disable some folders, I suggest to start with either those containing a lot of unidentified albums, big files (especially DSD) or albums with lots of references (lots of tracks or artists per album, boxsets and alike).

Am i understanding it right: the storage folder for approx 2,500 albums (equalling maybe 30,000 tracks or more?) was unavailable for roon yet not cleaned out /removed from the internal database? That might have contributed to the sluggishness.

Regarding roonĀ“s advice to use 8GB: I made some experiments and for me 8GB worked fine for everything south of 100,000 tracks. Adding additional albums was leading to roon needing more memory than 8GB and contributing to slowness. Would not take that as a precise threshold but as RAM is cheap I would recommend to have 16 for every big library.

Well on iMac, it restored on old library and showed like 40k of tracks not associated with the current setup and still had no issues with search. Iā€™m cleaning that up now. Iā€™ll probably reset my rock rock and see how it performs but happy with iMac performance. But issue was when wife was using it for Lightroom and Photoshop. At least in old IMac, thatā€™s where ran into stuttering. I can alway just switch over to my Naim app during those times instead of just having slow performance the whole time on the roon rock.

I thought ROCK cannot address more than 8GB RAM

So i might put 2x32 into my nuc8i7 :grinning:

It can address as much as the NUC hardware can. But many NUCs canā€™t address more than 32. Youā€™d have to look up the specs for the NUC.

But ROCK wonā€™t be faster with more RAM (except a little bit if you start using dual-channel memory and didnā€™t previously). It just crashes if there isnā€™t enough RAM.

1 Like

Would be embarrassed to show someone roon like this.

This is something I donā€™t get. Iā€™d be surprised if not a fairly large part of the Roon usebase are people whoā€™ve experienced it at a users home (or in a shop), and liked it enough to try/buy for themselves, at least thatā€™s the way with most Roon users I know personally. In its current state I would never show it off to visitors, the chances of it just being an embarassment to have spent money on is way too big. Indeed, at least two of my friends who got Roon subscriptions after using at my place have since quit, itā€™s not working well enough for them to be worth the hassle or money. Both are extremely computer savvy (work in IT), but the promise of a turn key solution after first set up is no longer fullfilled. If they want to tinker, they have their own projects to work on.

3 Likes

IMO, and perhaps others too, the software is waiting for an update to address a few issues. We are patiently waiting. Hence comments such as:

Rock doesnā€™t include virtual memory paging tricks, it either fits into the available ram and works, or it doesnā€™t and crashes. There are posts about this, bottom line, even an enormous library will fit into 16GB ram.

What is enormous?
500 K files?

Yeah, Iā€™ll be honest, itā€™s all a bit vague - but the Roon knowledge base says 8GB = 12k+ albums. Not sure how scalable that is, but perhaps 16GB = 24k+ albums, so 32GB = 48k+ albums, and so on??

I currently have 16 GB RAM
HyperX Impact HX424S14IB2K2/16 Arbeitsspeicher 16GB Kit*(2x8GB)

Seems to be to less

As I understand it, if it doesnā€™t crash, you have enough RAM.

If it does crash, you probably still have enough RAM. Modern operating systems use ā€œvirtual memoryā€, so the effect of ā€œnot having enough RAMā€ is mainly to slow things down (see ā€œThrashingā€), not to make them crash.

1 Like

But ROCK doesnā€™t swap to disk, thatā€™s the point that was made. Either everything fits into RAM, then it works and more RAM does NOT make it faster. Or it doesnā€™t fit, then it crashes. There is no ā€žit gets slower because part of the virtual memory is paged out to diskā€œ

1 Like

What!? Itā€™s Linux, isnā€™t it? Who would write an app that requires memory-locked pages? Are they allocating contiguous blocks somewhere?

[Later] OK, I looked at the references. Having never paid much attention to ROCK, didnā€™t know that. Still find it hard to believe.