Roon Search Overhauled [2022-12] Update

Please make it stop picking low res versions please from quick search it’s driving me nuts. It decides to pick my mp3 versions or steaming versions of over my flac albums when in same group as flac and its the primary. Come on Roon when is this search going to be sorted? This is stuff is basic you had working once.

9 Likes

Depends on what you want. SQ is flawless because my DAC handles the hi res files. I still stream to a Raspi just like I did with Roon but a dumb Android tablet works fine as a server. Search is quirky but so is Roon’s. TOC is 4.5 EUR, so I don’t suffer from acid reflux from paying a lot for constant aggravation.
There’s no multi room but I never used that anyways.
Bugs in new releases are fixed in a matter of hours on the rare occasions that they pop up.
Album art is there as is all metadata available on Qobuz.
I love it. It’s almost hassle free.

I’ve been using Roon for quite some time and, whilst search functionality may have improved with updates, I still find it to be one of the weakest areas of functionality of what is an otherwise an outstanding system.

For example, I just searched for Jon Hopkins to find an album recommended to me and I typed “John Hopkins” instead of “Jon” - So I got a list of artists ONLY named “John Hopkins”, non of which included the one I was looking for, even though “Jon Hopkins” is a very well known artist with a good sized discography. Ironically I’d already got Jon Hopkins marked as a Favourite Artist in my Roon Library, yet such a simple mistake was too much for Roon to come up with what I was looking for.

Why is it that, after all this time, such a simple mistake can’t produce suggestions of ‘other artists’ using all well known spelling variants of the chosen first and/or second name, or an option specify a wider search result?

As much as I LOVE Roon, I’ve grown accustomed to instead heading over to Google or some other way finding for what I’m looking to then use the exact details, correct spelling etc to enter into the search box in Roon.

I would love it if one day, the search was powerful enough to let you search (for example) on a string of text from song lyrics, for those situations where you can’t recall the song name or artist. However we’re sadly still so far off even being able to cope with just typo’s or name variants. Until then, unless I’m absolutely certain of the details, I just head over to Google or somewhere else to find the search terms to put into Roon …

7 Likes

This has been one of the major pain points for roon users. Rest assured, we’re actively working on this problem.

6 Likes

I too would like the search function to work a bit better or properly for that matter.
Not only, as mentioned, often a slightly different spelling yields not the results expected.
Even if the exact spelling is used, I Roon cannot find a track.
For example, with Eurovision just over, try searching for one of the songs, “Voyager Promise”, does not find the Eurovision track (Tidal connected).
Alternativaly, Tidal places categories onto it’s ‘Home’ page in the Tidal app. At the moment there’s a ‘Eurovision song contest’ category with curated Tidal playlists. These categories are also not available in Roon’s Tidal page - that would be great to see there too. (including The charts, Popular Playlists…)

Just discovered an interesting quirk. If I search for “Deadmau” Roon reports nothing found. As soon as I make it “Deadmau5” it all shows up. Seems like any competent search engine could match “Deadmau” to “Deadmau5”. Just sayin’.

There seems to be a bug there, both deadm and deadma match deadmau5. Thanks for reporting it.

1 Like

I was in the vegetable shop and Fleetwood Mac albatross was playing so when I got home, I said I must listen to that track again as it had entered my mind as a earworm.

As I knew I had it in my collection, I searched the following way: searching for Albatross and selecting in collection.

Only for the Fleetwood Mac one not to show up.

Filtered albums for fleet and hey presto

.sjb

Look how well the native Qobuz app did with that search.

Also want to point out that I have a meditation app and even its search engine handles misspellings. Just don’t get why roon hasn’t implemented that yet. Pretty sure most search engines have this built in.

1 Like

The quick pick search results in Roon did a good job for me (as good as Qobuz), also clicking on the composition by Pete Green brings up multiple versions including the Fleetwood Mac one.

I didn’t even try it on roon before but I get same results. Shows up 4th.

Can someone explain why search always picks the streaming version of tracks or albums over my own version even if it’s the same res only in my library as my own copy. It’s driving me nuts I don’t have copies of some in my library from streaming yet it’s always picking out Qobuz versions which are often remasters that I don’t want. This is really starting to get on my nerves at how bad and inconsistent search is. It really should be prioritising my versions in all circumstances I should not have to pick library only button. Offer me all other versions in the versions tab please.

7 Likes

This should work now. Thanks for reporting it.

In general, that would be the expected behavior; however, with remasters it’s unfortunately often the case that they are not recognized as the same album as you have in your library. Do I understand correctly that it’s the case that you don’t see your library version in the versions tab currently?

I do that’s the issue it always picks the qobuz version regardless if it’s a remaster or not. I tend to group them together so they are not entities and mine is the primary. This isn’t anything new it been like this for ages it just doesn’t seem to take in to account your primary version at all especially from the quick menu but same for regular as well. But it should find mine first and above any other version really I should not have to select library only to achieve this or I might as well not have one. Yes I can use the filters or focus but this is available on every page to search it’s quicker to access so please make it work properly to find my music by default. I am sure this is what most user want.

1 Like

Edit: Misspelled artist name by me cause the issue. Didn’t see before posting.

Have a non-working search to report.

Looking for Allesandro Cortini:

“Allesandro C”: No result
“Allesandro Cortini”: No result
“Cortini”: Gives me what I was looking for.

I had exactly the same result as you so I went to Artists and did the search there. Same result although I have several albums. Tried again a few times and the artist search suddenly started to work. Went back to quick search and now that was working as well:

Very strange?!

The result you get when just typing Cortini shows that it’s actually Alessandro with an ss, so it’s another example of Roon search dealing poorly with typos

1 Like

Wow, that is odd behaviour indeed. Need to try the same.